• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker-Peters

it wasn't really single coverage - there are no players pushed on to him and there are two at the back which is standard. This is a mistake on his part and he is expected to deal with this. No big issue as he will make mistakes but no need to shift the blame
Agreed, 3 mistakes from KWP here. He is young and can learn not to do these things:
When Sissoko headed it to KWP, Kyle had plenty of time to whack it upfield or pass to Winks or play it back to Lloris, but he dallied far too long.
And then as he sprinted back, he turned the wrong way, doing a full 360 spin against a pace merchant.
And then if he had continued his run he could have intercepted, but he stopped running towards the ball when Winks came across.

yeah watched it again, seems Sissoko was on Dembele for the set piece but for whatever reason stopped tracking him after passing back to KWP

I'm not saying KWP was innocent, but he made errors in a series of them amongst our team

I still think we were situationally poor leaving two of our most inexperienced players as the cover

Did well to recover from the disaster start, and decent management from Poch not to yank him at HT.

Still not convinced, my biggest issue with him is what is his strength? (Walker was an athlete with pace & physicality, Trippier has his crosses)

My opinion is the FB positions are an easy target for an upgrade (or upgrade on backup positions)
I think thats a bit harsh to question him because he doesnt visibly have an outstanding strength. Being solid in most areas is a very good thing to be for a full back, see Davies for example (albeit I prefer Rose overall)....

yeah watched it again, seems Sissoko was on Dembele for the set piece but for whatever reason stopped tracking him after passing back to KWP

I'm not saying KWP was innocent, but he made errors in a series of them amongst our team

I still think we were situationally poor leaving two of our most inexperienced players as the cover
He stopped tracking him because we were in possession of the football and therefore Sissoko (or any other player's) aim at that point is to move into space to receive a pass.

He stopped tracking him because we were in possession of the football and therefore Sissoko (or any other player's) aim at that point is to move into space to receive a pass.

completely fair point

my take is that in this situation, with a particularly fast opponent and an inexperienced defender in a situation where a clean sheet had particular value, we should have been more aggressively negative

completely fair point

my take is that in this situation, with a particularly fast opponent and an inexperienced defender in a situation where a clean sheet had particular value, we should have been more aggressively negative
Personally thinking you are asking for trouble if you are second guessing your players on not being able to carry out the standard things. If he is good enough to start you have to trust him otherwise you should be playing Dier there or someone you do trust.

*Sissoko cant track him as he had to slow down to head the ball, and at that point he not going to offer anything tracking anyway.

Personally thinking you are asking for trouble if you are second guessing your players on not being able to carry out the standard things. If he is good enough to start you have to trust him otherwise you should be playing Dier there or someone you do trust.

*Sissoko cant track him as he had to slow down to head the ball, and at that point he not going to offer anything tracking anyway.

all he has to do is run faster than Dembele, the lazy git

Managed properly, he’ll be better than KW.

Really don't see it.

He has the making of a decent player, not a top 3 RB in the league that Walker became. Made the point earlier, really top level players have something, pace, amazing dribbling skills, above normal crossing or passing ability, physicality, engine, something. @harr1984 said it, maybe his best target is to be like Davies, not sure that's good enough for Spurs

It was a poor first touch from him, which is strange as he's usually more than solid on the ball. He's never going to be Kyle Walker quick, but that might be a better thing as he is going to have to learn to be positionally correct 100% of the time, unlike Walker who has the pace to get himself out of trouble. Poch has a good record of developing full backs and I think that KWP with time will be a solid fullback for us. He seems to have his head screwed on, but he's gonna need game time to improve upon all aspects of his game. Will that happen here?

It was a poor first touch from him, which is strange as he's usually more than solid on the ball. He's never going to be Kyle Walker quick, but that might be a better thing as he is going to have to learn to be positionally correct 400% of the time, unlike Walker who has the pace to get himself out of trouble. Poch has a good record of developing full backs and I think that KWP with time will be a solid fullback for us. He seems to have his head screwed on, but he's gonna need game time to improve upon all aspects of his game. Will that happen here?
He might have to pace but he needs to take a look at how Rose plays, he makes every ball a personal battle to make up for his size. KWP looks to have good technical ability but without the physique Walker has he needs to be more aggressive and put on some mass. Unless Poch took a massive leap of faith and moved him ahead of Tripper or Aurier I really feel he needs a season of playing every week which was the making of Walker and Rose earlier in their careers.

He made a mistake ( but it happens to all players), i am not one convinced that he will become our regular RB but as the game went on he grew in stature. Still think our best RB is Aurier but considering that mistake could have killed a young player he overcame that and went on to have a decent game.

Really don't see it.

He has the making of a decent player, not a top 3 RB in the league that Walker became. Made the point earlier, really top level players have something, pace, amazing dribbling skills, above normal crossing or passing ability, physicality, engine, something. @harr1984 said it, maybe his best target is to be like Davies, not sure that's good enough for Spurs

He’ll be good. As a fan base we are appalling at giving young players licence and time to develop. (Read the start of the Kane thread for examples).

I recall years ago laughing weekly at Chelsea’s young centre back scoring an own goal and gaff a week for his first season. Thought how brick must this lad be!

He gained actual experience and turned into leader legend captain-taco. Just needed games and the ability to make mistakes and learn.

Self fulfilling prophecy though - if we don’t play KWP, you’ll be right and I’ll be wrong! :)

He might have to pace but he needs to take a look at how Rose plays, he makes every ball a personal battle to make up for his size. KWP looks to have good technical ability but without the physique Walker has he needs to be more aggressive and put on some mass. Unless Poch took a massive leap of faith and moved him ahead of Tripper or Aurier I really feel he needs a season of playing every week which was the making of Walker and Rose earlier in their careers.
With his talent and Trippier and Aurier at the club I'm sure we could have gotten a decent loan move for him this season if Pochettino saw it the same way. Apart from the mistake he looked ready for first team football against Barca in difficult circumstances. Winks and Dier didn't need a loan, Foyth seems fine despite no loan. Will be interesting to see how what Pochettino's plan is with KWP.
He made a mistake ( but it happens to all players), i am not one convinced that he will become our regular RB but as the game went on he grew in stature. Still think our best RB is Aurier but considering that mistake could have killed a young player he overcame that and went on to have a decent game.
Thought he responded very well after that mistake. Didn't shirk responsibility on the ball assigns and didn't become entirely risk averse. Showed some of his quality on the ball and defended well up against Coutinho, a better player than he'll face in just about every league game.

Deserves another start if Trippier and Aurier aren't available.

Really don't see it.

I know what you are saying and agree. However there are some exceptions, Gary Neville springs to mind, who were not exceptional at anything technically (he worked hard and became really good at stopping wide players and crossing), but mentally had great strength.

I know what you are saying and agree. However there are some exceptions, Gary Neville springs to mind, who were not exceptional at anything technically (he worked hard and became really good at stopping wide players and crossing), but mentally had great strength.
Could easily say the same about Kane albeit not a RB. Not many thought he would make it when younger as he doesnt have any real outstanding qualities - no real pace, skill etc but has worked really hard at his game and his mental strength means he scores so many goals because no matter how many chances he misses he doesnt go hiding....

Sometimes pure defensive nouse is the outstanding quality. Dennis Irwin is another example.

Back