• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Who is our "go to" player against the big teams? Kane is our best player and quite often scores against the big teams even if his performances are sometimes rather anonymous, he gets goals which is ultimately what top strikers are paid to to.

Other than Kane, who is really steps up in big games? I'm struggling to think of anyone.

United had Keane/Scholes/Ronaldo/Giggs/insert name here.

Chelsea had Drogba.

Liverpool had Gerrard.

Arsenal ironically didn't have anyone like the above. Henry was always their best player but he never scored in a final for club or country which is an incredible statistic!

Just fishing for praise for your favourite, I’m not going to say his name.

Were you not surprised (before the game) there was no Toby instead of Foyth!
I love Foyth but not sure when or whether you “rest” these young players in these types of scenarios.
Take him out and he get demoralised leave him in he gets demoralised due to errors?

Poch is the manager and for whatever reason he decided to leave Toby on the bench, maybe he is carrying a slight injury, maybe he was feeling the effect of two games at a high level, who knows? What i do know is that NO ONE on here knows why he made that decision so to say he made a mistake ( without any one of us knowing why he made that decision) is foolish at best.

If we had won the game all the bitching whinners would not be making such a fuss.

Poch is the manager and for whatever reason he decided to leave Toby on the bench, maybe he is carrying a slight injury, maybe he was feeling the effect of two games at a high level, who knows? What i do know is that NO ONE on here knows why he made that decision so to say he made a mistake ( without any one of us knowing why he made that decision) is foolish at best.

If we had won the game all the bitching whinners would not be making such a fuss.

I was surprised at Toby’s absence I have to say. But I would be loathed to undermine Foyth’s confidence.

I was surprised at Toby’s absence I have to say. But I would be loathed to undermine Foyth’s confidence.

I think the point is - if it affects his confidence, he isn't the right player for us and he isn't ready. If Foyth can play, make a mistake but get right back on it, doing the precise job for the system that relies on the collective playing it's part and not letting standards slip, he's right for us. If he isn't ready, it's because he would let mistakes get to him. Foyth clearly has belief.

I think Poch is absolutely fine with players making mistakes on the ball. Dier has made plenty. But he never hides and that's why he's one of Poch's favourites. If it happens, he is right back in position, asking for the ball again, and telling the team what to do. He doesn't go into hiding.

It's one of Poch's secrets to success I would say - that belief in the aura and confidence of the players. I think he is confident in his tactical systems and the preparation, so he knows that if we have players with the right mentality in there, we will win more often than not. And the reason Poch said Foyth was one of our best players, not because he actually was, was because he's going to back a player he clearly believes in. I think Foyth has made it in to the plans now in a way that Wimmer never did for example. He's obviously showing something in his mentality, the way he trains, the way he conducts himself around the club, that suggests he's going to be a strong player for us.

Yes it was a surprise Toby wasn't playing. But he has a history of hamstring injuries and has only missed the opening day from the League games, and we have a busy month coming up. Lightening his load before December so he can come at it with everything he has in the tank is a good move.

As always - Poch makes these moves every season and people get a bit confused. But every year, it has lead to our form being better and more consistent in the second half of the season compared to the first. If we didn't benefit then clearly something wouldn't be working. But we always do, so he has earned the trust.

This is one of the most expensive assets in football.
We are not in that market yet!
So our biggest asset is the collective, “the team”.
The cost of the Lacazette’s and Aubameyan’s (£110m approximately) are way outside our current price range.

That's why I don't worry too much about rumours of other teams sniffing around dele, eriksen or harry. We arent reliant on one player on the park. It's similar to Liverpool with coutinho, if that money was reinvested properly it could benefit it us. This isnt like the bale team where were so dependent on him producing.

One caveat is Harry, I think the message it would send about the club would be damaging, but actually on the park I think the team, would be fine. Don't see Harry leaving soon anyway, buy hypothetically speaking.

Were you not surprised (before the game) there was no Toby instead of Foyth!
I love Foyth but not sure when or whether you “rest” these young players in these types of scenarios.
Take him out and he get demoralised leave him in he gets demoralised due to errors?

No.
As an aside, and not especially-related, reading Toby saying that the NLD is only one of many big matches and not the most important did not make me smile. He might be right, but don't say that sort of stuff FFS!!!!

No.
As an aside, and not especially-related, reading Toby saying that the NLD is only one of many big matches and not the most important did not make me smile. He might be right, but don't say that sort of stuff FFS!!!!

That was more a question for @parklane1 having been involved in the game back in the day.
But I would have played Toby just because of his experience in such games.

The subs thing is also a biggie, and Emery is getting a lot of praise for decisively making two subs when down at half time, and winning the game. As well he should, that is his right as the victor. And maybe the subs could have come earlier. but I think a plan for us was put in place at half time that seemed to be working. Emery made two subs but we were on top when Auba scored. And I think another sub for us was about to be made just at the point that they get their 3rd. These things happen and goals rip up the best laid plans, but I don't think the theory was wildly wrong.

This is a good point.
We didn't play well in the first 20 mins (in fact we were battered), but Poch switched to a 4-3-3 and we started to get on top, scored our 2 goals and got to HT intact.
In the 2nd half I totally agree we were on top, had more possession and were drawing a number of wreckless fouls from the opposition who were on the edge of self destructing. They were quite fortunate to stay at full compliment.
Their equaliser, people can pull Spurs apart for it, but sometimes its just a good goal and there's not a lot you can do. A good pass into Ramsey, a terrific first-time square pass and then a great finish. It swung the momentum back towards them but we were still pretty solid overall - it was another 20 mins before they scored a 3rd goal. Again its fine margins which decide matches like this. Bellerin gifted the ball to Son and with Leno out of position it looked like a great opportunity to retake the lead. I think Son saw Leno scampering back and tried to put it back where he'd been, when maybe the right call would've been to put it in the far corner where there was massive gaping hole! Instead we saw Foyth make a really bad error which lead to Lacazette's deflected shot squirming in. Fine margins between victory and defeat. I'm sure had Son's shot gone in we'd be talking about a famous victory.

Personally I think Toby should've started and it wasn't the right call to drop Foyth into a game of that magnitude. He's shown great promise but he gave the 2 pens away against Wolves, did well against Palace but still made the odd error with the ball (risk taking when playing out) and then it could've been a similar story against Chelsea with another pen not given. The give away for the 3rd goal wasn't his first mistake, he made numerous mistakes on the ball in the game, starting from quite early. He was also placed next to Aurier, someone who is surely better to be managed by an experienced pro rather than being the senior partner and to be fair to him had his hands full all game with Emery's clever tactics. I understand the reasons presented why Toby didn't play, I just respectfully don't necessarily agree with posters (and possibly the manager) on this occasion.

worse then i have seen us for a while

I agree with this.
As much as all the whinging and whining get on nearly everybody's nerves, there is a reason for dismay and even anger from that 'out of the blue' abject display on Sunday. I too come from a "eat ya greens and get over it" era.
But I was shocked by Sunday's performance.

Really, I think he likes it here and it will take a lot to make move.
He strikes me as a quiet thoughtful guy who may not be lured be the brightlights.
Probably totally long and he's off in January
Obviously I dont have a clue whats going on behind the scenes, but what other of our key players do we let slide so deep into his contract without renewing? Dele, kane, Lloris etc all tied down to handsomely paid deals with plenty of time left on current deal before we had to even be concerned. Eriksen is one of our top two arguably top player, knowing how Levy operates do you think he'd of allowed a deal to still be unsigned at this stage if down to him? Therefore think its Eriksen whos looking to keep his options open and see who is interested, hes won nothing here and a player of his quality and age should be achieving it all. He must know that....

Obviously I dont have a clue whats going on behind the scenes, but what other of our key players do we let slide so deep into his contract without renewing? Dele, kane, Lloris etc all tied down to handsomely paid deals with plenty of time left on current deal before we had to even be concerned. Eriksen is one of our top two arguably top player, knowing how Levy operates do you think he'd of allowed a deal to still be unsigned at this stage if down to him? Therefore think its Eriksen whos looking to keep his options open and see who is interested, hes won nothing here and a player of his quality and age should be achieving it all. He must know that....

Me neither, it just idle speculation.
Doesn't strike as the type who won't think everything through thoroughly, think deal will take a while.

That is my biggest concern, despite what some fans think footballers want to end their playing days with trophys to show to their grandkids. I expect that some will poo poo that idea but the vast majority of players i have spoken to have that ideal.

I have said before i do believe he is our m ost important player and the last one we need to lose, but in all honesty he is good enough to play for any team ( imo) and if he sees that progress on winning things here is not working out then i honestly do not blame him IF he decides to leave.

Last edited:
All reports say Toby was fit, so he was rotated.

It was an error by the manager, lets not pretend it wasnt.
Don't be silly - the physios monitor everything and know Toby is currently able to play X high intensity games in Y days, but after that he is in the red zone and likely to tear a hamstring or similar injury.

The pragmatic decision was to play Foyth - otherwise Toby might have ruptured something after half an hour and we get Foyth playing, plus Toby out for a month over the busy Xmas period.

With Sanchez out and Jan just coming back, we couldn't gamble on that.

Back