• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Pochettino's main weakness is his lack of trophies. He is now in his 5th season at Spurs and one of the longest serving managers in the PL. Finishing in top 3 in the league for 3 consecutive season is admirable but his lack of a trophy will always be a black mark on Pochettino's time at Spurs.

Admirable is it? Admirable? Don't go over the top in your fulsome praise there.

Oh, you didn't. Instead you went over the top with some ridiculous snivelling.

@Spurs7891 on the real. Does ANYTHING make you happy? We have the best squad and manager since Burkinshaw in the early 80’s and you ALWAYS moan. Almost without exception. We have limited money and are building a ONE BILLION POUND STADIUM. And we are currently in 3rd place, above at least three teams we greater spending power than us. I really hope the rest of your life brings you more satisfaction than Spurs.

And team news is usually a day or two before the game and ONE HOUR BEFORE KICK OFF.

Mauricio Pochettino: Ryan Mason is one of the most important players of my managerial career
by Harry Edwards

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has called Ryan Mason as one of the most important players of his managerial career.

Mason retired in February 2018 and is currently spending time with Tottenham working towards his coaching badges.

Why was Mason important for Pochettino? Five key things to know…
  1. A graduate of Tottenham’s academy, Mason spent two years working with Pochettino at Spurs.
  2. The midfielder left for Hull City in 2016, becoming the Tigers’ record signing at £10m.
  3. But, after suffering a fractured skull in a game against Chelsea in 2017, Mason would ultimately have to retire in 2018.
  4. And with Mason now back at Spurs working on coaching, Pochettino has hailed the Englishman for impact.
  5. Mason played 66 times under Pochettino, the most of any manager during his career.
Mason also spends his time as a pundit for BT Sport and was part of the channel’s coverage of Tottenham’s 3-1 win over rivals Chelsea to end the Blues’ unbeaten start to the Premier League season.

Speaking after the win, knowing Mason was present, Pochettino told BT Sport: “I want to say hello to the people up there [in the studio] and, of course, Ryan Mason who I always miss.

“He was one of the most important players in my career, as a manager.

“And I’m happy to see him there, I’m always learning from him on the training ground every day.”

The win over Chelsea saw Tottenham leapfrog their rivals into third ahead of next Sunday’s North London derby with Arsenal.

But, before that, Spurs must fight for their place in the Champions League against Inter Milan on Wednesday knowing only a win would truly keep their slim hopes of reaching the knockout stages alive.

Pochettino is one of the best young managers in the world – Mason

Tottenham’s 3-1 win over Chelsea on Saturday was just another example of why so many people have touted Pochettino to move onto greater things with Real Madrid and Manchester United touted as potential destinations for the Argentine.

A former defender, Pochettino started his managerial career with Espanyol, spending three years with the club before making his first move to England to take charge of Southampton.

Despite not being a confident English speaker, Pochettino turned Southampton into a competitive side with the Saints finishing eighth in his only full season on the south coast.

This was enough to lure Tottenham, where he has been ever since, slowly bringing them to be regular top four contenders.

And, as well as holding a good personal relationship with the Argentine, Mason believes Pochettino is one of the best young managers in the world.

“He’s someone that I bonded with straight away,” he said on BT Sport.

“He was my manager but more than that, we had a relationship outside of football and we’re still very close.”

“He’s a top man, he’s done a great job there. He’s welcomed me back and I’m lucky that I’m in and around the club and I’m learning from one of the best young managers in the world.”

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/en/news/maur...managerial-career/1070154#1UMsTsJSFEV0KUhW.99

@Spurs7891 on the real. Does ANYTHING make you happy? We have the best squad and manager since Burkinshaw in the early 80’s and you ALWAYS moan. Almost without exception. We have limited money and are building a ONE BILLION POUND STADIUM. And we are currently in 3rd place, above at least three teams we greater spending power than us. I really hope the rest of your life brings you more satisfaction than Spurs.

And team news is usually a day or two before the game and ONE HOUR BEFORE KICK OFF.
Mauricio Pochettino: Ryan Mason is one of the most important players of my managerial career
by Harry Edwards

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has called Ryan Mason as one of the most important players of his managerial career.

Mason retired in February 2018 and is currently spending time with Tottenham working towards his coaching badges.

Why was Mason important for Pochettino? Five key things to know…
  1. A graduate of Tottenham’s academy, Mason spent two years working with Pochettino at Spurs.
  2. The midfielder left for Hull City in 2016, becoming the Tigers’ record signing at £10m.
  3. But, after suffering a fractured skull in a game against Chelsea in 2017, Mason would ultimately have to retire in 2018.
  4. And with Mason now back at Spurs working on coaching, Pochettino has hailed the Englishman for impact.
  5. Mason played 66 times under Pochettino, the most of any manager during his career.
Mason also spends his time as a pundit for BT Sport and was part of the channel’s coverage of Tottenham’s 3-1 win over rivals Chelsea to end the Blues’ unbeaten start to the Premier League season.

Speaking after the win, knowing Mason was present, Pochettino told BT Sport: “I want to say hello to the people up there [in the studio] and, of course, Ryan Mason who I always miss.

“He was one of the most important players in my career, as a manager.

“And I’m happy to see him there, I’m always learning from him on the training ground every day.”

The win over Chelsea saw Tottenham leapfrog their rivals into third ahead of next Sunday’s North London derby with Arsenal.

But, before that, Spurs must fight for their place in the Champions League against Inter Milan on Wednesday knowing only a win would truly keep their slim hopes of reaching the knockout stages alive.

Pochettino is one of the best young managers in the world – Mason

Tottenham’s 3-1 win over Chelsea on Saturday was just another example of why so many people have touted Pochettino to move onto greater things with Real Madrid and Manchester United touted as potential destinations for the Argentine.

A former defender, Pochettino started his managerial career with Espanyol, spending three years with the club before making his first move to England to take charge of Southampton.

Despite not being a confident English speaker, Pochettino turned Southampton into a competitive side with the Saints finishing eighth in his only full season on the south coast.

This was enough to lure Tottenham, where he has been ever since, slowly bringing them to be regular top four contenders.

And, as well as holding a good personal relationship with the Argentine, Mason believes Pochettino is one of the best young managers in the world.

“He’s someone that I bonded with straight away,” he said on BT Sport.

“He was my manager but more than that, we had a relationship outside of football and we’re still very close.”

“He’s a top man, he’s done a great job there. He’s welcomed me back and I’m lucky that I’m in and around the club and I’m learning from one of the best young managers in the world.”

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/en/news/maur...managerial-career/1070154#1UMsTsJSFEV0KUhW.99

Lamela being knighted would be a good start.

To be fair to Spurs7891/Robocop Poch's lack of trophies is the only blemish on his managerial career. I love the guy to bits and hope he doesn't go to Real Madrid or United but I really think we need to win a trophy in the next couple of years. Doesn't HAVE to be this season but we've had numerous chances in the FA cup for example and we've squandered them. I'm not holding Poch solely responsible but he is the manager so he will carry the can either way.

Our record against the big teams has improved massively, we just need to find a way to transfer that the latter stages of cup competitions. But right now I'd only be confident of winning a semi or a final if we were playing lower league opposition.

Mason should soak it all in. Learn well from Poch and he'll be a good manager himself one day. No better mentor for him.

Having the best squad or being the best-running club will mean nothing if we don't win trophies ! We have already went 10 years without winning any trophies. If we don't win a trophy soon, we might become another big club without ambition and with small club mentality like Everton, Leeds, Aston Villa and Saudi Sportswashing Machine !

And for umpteenth time, the pre match threads and the question about team news are pre match rituals !:rolleyes:

Having the best squad or being the best-running club will mean nothing if we don't win trophies ! We have already went 10 years without winning any trophies. If we don't win a trophy soon, we might become another big club without ambition and with small club meteorology like Everton, Leeds, Aston Villa and Saudi Sportswashing Machine !

And for umpteenth time, the pre match threads and the question about team news are pre match rituals !:rolleyes:
You do talk a lot of twaddle.

Having the best squad or being the best-running club will mean nothing if we don't win trophies ! We have already went 10 years without winning any trophies. If we don't win a trophy soon, we might become another big club without ambition and with small club meteorology like Everton, Leeds, Aston Villa and Saudi Sportswashing Machine !

200.gif

Could the administrator of @Spurs7891 please turn the “absolute gonads” setting down a bit.

It was amusing when it was almost believably a human, now it’s just silly.
I think this is a clever ploy by the admin to unite the board!

I’m sure everybody here would be delighted with a trophy but winning two or three difficult one off games is not as difficult as consistently punching above your weight over 38 games in a league season. It was recently published that Man U spend twice what we do on wages, that Uefa cup that glossed over their 6th place finish hasn’t brought them any closer to challenging for the title.

I’ve only seen us win one trophy live, the Carling under Ramos where we actually beat our superior local rivals and the losing CL finalists in the final. It was an amazing day out and surpassed all my expectations as I genuinely thought it might be the only final we would get to for a long time. However it didn’t help us keep our top players, didn’t really give us any long term bragging rights and didn’t grow the exposure of the club at the time. The unique quality we now have is a dedicated manager and players who love the club, that’s getting stronger year on year,so if that means we don’t follow in the footsteps of Wigan and Portsmouth thats fine by me.

The not winning thing is just a convenient drum for people outside the club to bang, although doesn’t seem to apply to Klopp at Liverpool. The same drum gets banged about beating the big teams, then the big teams away, then Chelsea at the Bridge then winning when playing badly, finishing above Goons etc etc...we keep achieving these things and if we remain patient I am confident will tick that final box but if by some twist of fate we don’t this period under Poch can only be seen as a huge success both for now and for whatever his (hopefully in the distant future) successor has to work with.

Assuming that meteorology means trajectory, or perhaps environment, and that anyway it cashes out somewhere between relegation and mid-table respectability, I'd agree. This is a wonderful time to be supporting Spurs. It won't last for ever. We will be in the doldrums again in our lifetimes - although, of course, whether we win a trophy or not in this purple patch is entirely irrelevant to that.

Edit: oh - is it Scara playing silly buggers with autocorrect? Mentality? Well, environment, trajectory and the external conditions define mentality, I suppose. Makes more sense than using the word to mean net spend.

Mauricio Pochettino has insisted Tottenham Hotspur cannot repeat the transfer failings that have tied his hands ahead of the must-win Champions League game against Inter Milan.

Tottenham must beat Inter at home and Barcelona away to stand any chance of qualifying for the knockout stages, but Pochettino cannot pick central defender Juan Foyth for either game.

Manager Pochettino has no option but to bring Jan Vertonghen back from injury into his side on Wednesday night because Foyth is ineligible after being left out of the club’s Champions League squad and Davinson Sanchez is injured.

Pochettino could only name a 22-man A list, three short of the permitted 25, for the group stages of the tournament because Tottenham do not have enough ‘locally trained players’.

Tottenham failed to sign a host of Pochettino’s English targets over the past 12 months, missing out on the likes of Jack Grealish, Ross Barkley, Ryan Sessegnon and Wilfried Zaha.

Pochettino described the decision to leave Foyth, who has performed well over the last three games and was handed his Argentina debut in the last international break, as “painful” but stressed he could not be held responsible for the error.

“It’s in club hands,” said Pochettino. “It’s not in my hands only. We share the responsibility. If not, it looks like the bad things are the gaffer and the good thing we share all together. Sometimes, when something wrong happens, it’s Mauricio Pochettino, the coach.

“I am so disappointed from the beginning. Not only Juan. Also (Georges-Kevin) Nkoudou and Vincent Janssen are out of the squad for the Champions League.

“That’s so painful. It’s a mistake that we made, which at this level of football we cannot repeat again. For different reasons, we need to find solutions before the start of the season.”

Other than being annoyed that Tottenham did not land any of their English targets, Pochettino also suggested he was unhappy with the fact no players were sold. Toby Alderweireld, Mousa Dembele and Danny Rose had all been expected to leave, but ended up staying put.

“Now we are going to finish and we hope that in March we can do a new list and include Juan on the list of the Champions League.”

Win, lose or draw, Pochettino hopes Tottenham’s final group game against Inter will be their last ‘home’ match at Wembley in the Champions League and has urged supporters to fill the national stadium.

Spurs played their Premier League games against Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea in front of empty seats, and Pochettino acknowledged his team may need their fans to help them in Wednesday night’s must-win tie.

“I hope Wembley will be full,” he said. “But if it’s not, I’m not going to say anything. Our fans were fantastic in the last year-and-a-half. We understand the frustration and disappointment because they expected to be in the new stadium.

“I know even with 50,000 or 60,000, Wembley seems empty, but I am so happy with the fans. I will always have in my heart the fans because they are amazing, on the street, on the pitch, they translate a massive energy for us.”

Pochettino insisted he is relishing a task that has been labelled a ‘mission impossible’ in many quarters, but he also claimed Tottenham’s season will not be defined by whether or not they qualify past the group stages.

“When people say something is difficult for me, it is exciting to try to show them it is possible,” he said. “For us, it is massive motivation. We need to win two games, but we are going to try.”

On the need to qualify to prove Tottenham are still progressing, Pochettino added: “Tottenham can aspire to go and play in the Champions League and then to go to the next stage you need luck, good performances, to arrive in your best form.

“In short competitions like the World Cup or Champions League, you need luck. We play the last two games and then you go to March, and you cannot guess how you arrive - injuries, or at a good level.

“That is why the Premier League, the competition where you spend 10 months, is always important who wins. Not always who wins the Champions League or FA Cup is the best.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ottenham-cannot-repeat-painful-disappointing/

I could swear I saw another quote about the squad being too big.

Reads to me like he wants to get rid of a few and replace some of them with homegrown players.

It was recently published that Man U spend twice what we do on wages, that Uefa cup that glossed over their 6th place finish hasn’t bought them any closer to challenging for the title.

I genuinely forgot, completely, that they won that.

I could swear I saw another quote about the squad being too big.

Reads to me like he wants to get rid of a few and replace some of them with homegrown players.

Has been the case for a while. We need to lose a few before we have room to bring more in. And, in all honesty, there are a few we could lose and not even notice they were gone.

I maybe wrong, but, I can't see an actual quote in there from him to substantiate any of the claims that he is annoyed we didn't sign English players or that we didn't sell anyone and as much as I think Foyth will be w/c one day I'd rather have Verts back in the team to face Inter and Barcelona.

Another thing, wasn't there a capacity cap on at least one of our matches against Emirates Marketing Project and Cheatski?

I maybe wrong, but, I can't see an actual quote in there from him to substantiate any of the claims that he is annoyed we didn't sign English players or that we didn't sell anyone and as much as I think Foyth will be w/c one day I'd rather have Verts back in the team to face Inter and Barcelona.

Another thing, wasn't there a capacity cap on at least one of our matches against Emirates Marketing Project and Cheatski?

Different quotes being used in different places.

“I was so disappointed because the squad was so big and when the people say, ‘You’re the only club that doesn’t sign any players’, to sign another player means to put another player out of the list for the Champions League.

“I told you we need English players, but it was impossible. Of course now that is the problem and it’s so painful to have players out of the list.”

https://www.football365.com/news/pochettino-admits-tottenham-champions-league-squad-mistake

Back