• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Say it every season, but we always click into proper gear around this time. I think too many of our players (from our own fans) and our team (from the general public) gets talked down too much because of how we start the season, but the start is always in preparation for games like this. Players like Dier, Davies, Sissoko, Aurier, they get spoken about as proper average, why haven’t we signed anyone to replace them etc, but our squad is deep and these players are perfectly capable of contributing to a dominating performance like today.

Daniel Storey tweeted out a good point (that predictably got Liverpool fans in his mentions all up in arms) but he was saying that no team has a higher ceiling of performance than us, except Emirates Marketing Project, when we truly turn it on. Liverpool play some amazing stuff at times no doubt, but when we click into gear, we really do make other teams look so so poor, the performance is so complete, and we really should be out of sight more often than we are.

But I think to get those performances, to play the ridiculously high intensity that we play, never giving the opposition a moments peace, we start the season playing a slower tempo. There is still some good football in there, but it isn’t peak Poch-ball. It’s getting minutes into the players so they can play like they are playing today. And it means rather than be bought to a competitive level with the opposition, we actually look so much better than them, because we’ve sacrificed some early season tempo to play it hardcore from late November onwards. It always happens, and anyone in our squad can contribute to playing it. To have us look so much better than the opposition is brilliant to see.

Side notes - you could tell Chelsea weren’t at the races with Kovacic trying a rabona at 2-0 down. I know some people laugh at Poch’s ‘aura’ schtick, but this is kind of what it means. You can tell a lot through feelings and actions about what is going on in someone’s head. Like Jan looking like he was waiting for a bus before playing Liverpool, rather than looking like he is ready to go to war.

I would also say, Dele got a 4 game suspension for swinging his arm in the way that Jorginho did to him during the game. Wonder if that gets picked up.

I also think it’s good we are trusting Foyth and are getting results, but I wish we didn’t concede with a goal right in his zone. A real shame to blot the clean sheet there. But with Kane also missing sitters at the other end, we can’t complain too much.

Amen to all of that.

We were so much better than them in every department. Atmosphere banging in ground and
at Wembley Park afterwards; hundreds there joining in with “Brick team with money,
You’re just a brick team with money.” One of those nights you live for.

Really liking the look of Aurier first half too. Very bright and strong defensively.

Davies back to his best also, incisive passing and important challenges.

Atmosphere inside Wembley sounds bloody terrific. Great effort from us, we deserve big credit too.

"SON ALL THE WAY!!!!!" ... What a fudging goal.

Sonny could have had a hat trick first half, truly electric stuff.

Back