• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Future food and surviving the zombie apocalapse

Rorschach

Sonny Walters
I was going to start a tree-hugger thread as I'm well into all that brick (a past career in some ways) but I honestly think we have skipped past that point that is going to make much of a difference really.

So I have started thinking I'd like to grow some food. I fancy a bash at aeroponics. Has anyone tried that?

Ive grown a lot of food, but never in any other way than in soil in the ground. Two things. It's hard work and then you get a glut at a time when what you have grown is at its cheapest at the market. However, there is nothing like home grown fruit and veg for freshness and taste, my Autumn fruiting Raspberry's were a thing a of absolute joy as was Rhubarb etc. Good luck if you decide to go ahead.

Ive grown a lot of food, but never in any other way than in soil in the ground. Two things. It's hard work and then you get a glut at a time when what you have grown is at its cheapest at the market. However, there is nothing like home grown fruit and veg for freshness and taste, my Autumn fruiting Raspberry's were a thing a of absolute joy as was Rhubarb etc. Good luck if you decide to go ahead.
Well done mate. I don't have the real estate to go horizontal in the soil so I'm planning to go vertical. Start small'ish and go from there.

Last edited:
Well done mate. I don't have the real estate to go horizontal in the soil so I'm planning to go vertical. Start smal'ishl and go from there.

Dont tease me you know how i feel about vertical farming.

We have a veg plot in the back garden so can grow a fair amount, sweet potatoes were the star of this summer. With regards vertical farming it is not the industrial scale that i think we should be doing on an a national level, but I have set up a vertical strawberry, similar to this https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/173579193961?chn=ps

Ours is wooden though, we have two of them so are growing more in a smaller space and increasing yields.

Pretty much 50% of my pinterist is on farming and gardening. The are some great tips on what you can grow under different plants and veg, companion planting really is good for increasing yields and getting more out of your space.

Interesting thread mate and something I am interested in myself.

There is a guy here in town who grows vertically and hydroponically and the yields he gets are incredible. Esp strawberries. Bear in mind though he has year round sunshine in Florida, and a 9 month growing season.

Start a cricket farm. Get used to eating them. Grow those fudgers like a rash. Lots of proteins, and basically unlimited supply if you do it right. Doesn't really demand much work either.

There is a guy here in town who grows vertically and hydroponically and the yields he gets are incredible. Esp strawberries. Bear in mind though he has year round sunshine in Florida, and a 9 month growing season.
Plenty Inc are bang on this, but growing indoors. The positives are compelling (yield, multiple growing seasons, massive reduction in food miles,quicker to plate, no pesticides, massive water use redduction and plant food) and outweigh any negatives you can throw at it.

Dont tease me you know how i feel about vertical farming.

We have a veg plot in the back garden so can grow a fair amount, sweet potatoes were the star of this summer. With regards vertical farming it is not the industrial scale that i think we should be doing on an a national level, but I have set up a vertical strawberry, similar to this https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/173579193961?chn=ps

Ours is wooden though, we have two of them so are growing more in a smaller space and increasing yields.

Pretty much 50% of my pinterist is on farming and gardening. The are some great tips on what you can grow under different plants and veg, companion planting really is good for increasing yields and getting more out of your space.

Interesting thread mate and something I am interested in myself.
Yeah, I was thinking of strawberries to start with just to hone my skills. Maybe two towers, one soil and one aeroponic so I can figure it out. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

I agree with you on vertical farming in general. With solar PV panel prices dropping and their efficiency increasing artificial light will get a lot cheaper. This is the way to go. When the coastal cities flood the skyscrapers can be farms.

No sun can be a problem is this corner of the planet ;).

Aeroponics is a different trick to hydroponics. The roots are dangling in a mist of nutrients rather than sitting in a liquid.

Start a cricket farm. Get used to eating them. Grow those fudgers like a rash. Lots of proteins, and basically unlimited supply if you do it right. Doesn't really demand much work either.
Yeah but no.
crickets-sit-in-plastic-containers-in-a-climate-controlled-growth-on-picture-id991941880

Yeah, I was thinking of strawberries to start with just to hone my skills. Maybe two towers, one soil and one aeroponic so I can figure it out. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

I agree with you on vertical farming in general. With solar PV panel prices dropping and their efficiency increasing artificial light will get a lot cheaper. This is the way to go. When the coastal cities flood the skyscrapers can be farms.

Well we were amazed with what mulch could do for the veg this summer, we planted some butternut squash next to the pumpkins and by the time they spreaded out and we had mulched we only had to give a little bit of water and only once a week.

When you plant it is handy to put a bit of plumping tube next to what you plant, the roots will grow around it so wont damage the plant, but then you can just put a little bit of water directly down the tube once a week and that is all the water you need even in a dry spell, a lot of watering gets wasted by evaporation. Mulch on the top stops the soil from heating up to much as well.

Sweetcorn was amazing as well this year, probably due to how hot it was, grow the plants even close together then the packs tell you and you will get quite a good yield. Remember they all have to be the same variety because if they are different varities mixed into together they will not self pollinate, we went wrong like that last year.

Shame supperhudd is not on here anymore I think he had an allotment, it interests me, but with a large back garden we have enough space for the veg we need. Also due to health reasons I really try to eat healthy these days.

No Waitrose in Chichester?:rolleyes:

You'll be saying there's no Cash Converters in Portsmouth next:D

Talk about target market.
There's a Waitrose in Chichester, it's just not in the middle of the city. M&S is therefore I shop there.

This place is going downhill though. I spotted a tattoo studio the other day and apparently there's a vape shop somewhere near here.

I drive through Old Oxted the other day, that place seems nice. Might consider moving there, but I'm worried I might be able to smell Croydon from there.

Back