• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Football notebook: Tottenham’s new stadium may not be ready until March

Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent

November 17 2018, 12:01am, The Times
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F59636b98-e9de-11e8-b4e6-5632a3a9d8ab.jpg

Spurs have confirmed that their next six home games will take place at WembleySTEVEN PASTON/PA
Save
Tottenham Hotspur have been warned that they may not be able to play at their new stadium until March because of continuing issues with the site. Contractors on the project are working towards two different opening dates— the Premier League game against Manchester United on January 13 and the London derby with Arsenal on March 2 — with the building companies involved believing the latter date to be the most realistic.

Spurs have confirmed that their next six home games will take place at Wembley up to and including the visit of Wolverhampton Wanderers on December 29, but have given no indication of their plans beyond that point. Their next update is expected at the start of next month.

The club have reached an agreement with the FA to stay at Wembley for the rest of the season if necessary, which includes paying the governing body rent for the remainder of the campaign regardless of how long they stay, another indication that they are also concerned about further delays. Some at Tottenham fear that the builders are deliberately stringing out the project, with Daniel Levy, the chairman, known to have been critical of a number of the contractors involved.

That makes no sense. I don't believe that Levy is going to delay the opening just so the first game is a 'big' game, not now. If it's not ready for Utd, but it is ready for say Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Leicester in February, then we will open in February.
And who gives any builder two possible dates for completion?

Football notebook: Tottenham’s new stadium may not be ready until March

Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent

November 17 2018, 12:01am, The Times
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F59636b98-e9de-11e8-b4e6-5632a3a9d8ab.jpg

Spurs have confirmed that their next six home games will take place at WembleySTEVEN PASTON/PA
Save
Tottenham Hotspur have been warned that they may not be able to play at their new stadium until March because of continuing issues with the site. Contractors on the project are working towards two different opening dates— the Premier League game against Manchester United on January 13 and the London derby with Arsenal on March 2 — with the building companies involved believing the latter date to be the most realistic.

Spurs have confirmed that their next six home games will take place at Wembley up to and including the visit of Wolverhampton Wanderers on December 29, but have given no indication of their plans beyond that point. Their next update is expected at the start of next month.

The club have reached an agreement with the FA to stay at Wembley for the rest of the season if necessary, which includes paying the governing body rent for the remainder of the campaign regardless of how long they stay, another indication that they are also concerned about further delays. Some at Tottenham fear that the builders are deliberately stringing out the project, with Daniel Levy, the chairman, known to have been critical of a number of the contractors involved.

Love the way they use a 3 month old photo just to make sure we believe them.

That makes no sense. I don't believe that Levy is going to delay the opening just so the first game is a 'big' game, not now. If it's not ready for Utd, but it is ready for say Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Leicester in February, then we will open in February.
Agree with this, it’s not like any first game won’t be a sell out and ordinarily we don’t get to pick our first home game of the season nor want it to be a home one.

The idea of contractors stringing it out would be a concern, if no incentive or penalty is linked to delivering this shouldn’t be a surprise. I guess once we missed the opening game we are now the vulnerable party as we are desperate to finish.

“Home in time for Easter”*

* subject to what time Easter is next year. Never really understood how that nonsense works....

I'm not entirely sure that the club won't want it to open with a "big" game, not because of attendance (obviously the stadium will be full every game until the end of the season anyway) but from a PR point of view, making the "homecoming" a huge affair like they did with the last game at WHL. I'm not sure if it's enough to delay the opening if it's ready since financially that's unreasonable, but it might be enough to open for the united game even though it's not 100% ready or holding on for the NLD if we're talking 1-2 games

I'm not entirely sure that the club won't want it to open with a "big" game, not because of attendance (obviously the stadium will be full every game until the end of the season anyway) but from a PR point of view, making the "homecoming" a huge affair like they did with the last game at WHL. I'm not sure if it's enough to delay the opening if it's ready since financially that's unreasonable, but it might be enough to open for the united game even though it's not 400% ready or holding on for the NLD if we're talking 1-2 games
Not a chance! Every day passing the club is losing money. They'll want to move in at the first possible game.

I'd actually hate to open against Arsenal, imagine the brick we would get if we lost that 1st game at NWHL to the swamp dwellers
This.

If we win I’m not sure it will mean as much as losing, ie “remember when we beat you in our first home game?” as opposed to “remember when we beat you in your first ever home game”.

Open with a lesser game, big PR regardless and hopefully a win to open the new chapter, beat Goons a few weeks later with big PR for first derby etc but when it’s already starting to feel like home and the away bit has already been smashed up a bit for them.

Back