• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Chess World Championship

I would like to watch a game. What time are the games on?

Chess is more fun to play than watch though. Ringo are you a decent chess player?

It's at 12 midday at the links I posted above. Unfortunately you have missed three (two especially) unusually good games. The rest will probably be quick draws now! i used to be OK at chess, but I don't get enough time to play these days. And certainly not to go to chess club anymore.

I would like to watch a game. What time are the games on?

Chess is more fun to play than watch though. Ringo are you a decent chess player?

All you need is a live update on the web. Unless you're into guys sitting in office chairs, leaning back and forth, occasionally scratching their head.

All you need is a live update on the web. Unless you're into guys sitting in office chairs, leaning back and forth, occasionally scratching their head.

If you have the live link on, you have the added bonus, in addition to watching two guys in office chairs leaning back and forth and occasionally scratching their head and/or picking their fingernails - of a GM commenting on the various possible lines of play - none of which I understand. For all I know it could be in another language -in fact it probably is another language. Periodically interrupted by a clip of the chess museum in Moscow. Now that's entertainment.

I just watched the game. The advantage of watching it late (if you can avoid the result!) is you can speed it up a bit.

You realise how out your depth you are when the analyst GMs gibber on, second guessing each other's hypothetical move 10 or so moves ahead! No chance. A good move, a game winning move for a Novice game, is a game losing move. It is impossible to keep up! But interesting, and good to see.

I never play long games. I only really learnt to play properly on my phone :) Now I can hold my own. But far from being a good player. I don't have an opening knowledge - so crucial to chess. Anand showed his experience, using his better opening knowledge to win today's game. Carlsen will not let that happen again. I think he would disrupt Anand from now on, take him off a clear line and use his possible greater calculating ability.

We should have some gg chess games. In the spirit of the championship. I only insist on a £100 in :) Just kidding. It would be fun just in the spirit of the World Championship. I don't think I'd offer much, but would be happy if I lost and just played an interesting game against a fellow human.

Last edited:
Anyone keeping an eye on this? I went to the opening gala - free chess themed roostertails!

A few 'wegians on here. Carlsen should win it? He had the edge...until today - Caruana setup a winning position, but Carsen defended it just.

Anyone keeping an eye on this? I went to the opening gala - free chess themed roostertails!

A few 'wegians on here. Carlsen should win it? He had the edge...until today - Caruana setup a winning position, but Carsen defended it just.

Odd you should post this.

As I have been looking into taking up a new thinking hobby. I play a bit of poker and not to a good level, the wife grew up playing chess so said she would teach me. I am also looking into back gammon, I am worried as I get older if I do not keep my brain active it will go. I have had a brief look at the chess academy website and hope that between that and the wife I will learn the basics at least.

Chess has always appealed to me, used to love it when I saw in movies in New York the old guys playing Chess in the park. I think it is important to keep your brain active and a nice way to be social as well.

As I have been looking into taking up a new thinking hobby. I play a bit of poker and not to a good level, the wife grew up playing chess so said she would teach me. I am also looking into back gammon, I am worried as I get older if I do not keep my brain active it will go. I have had a brief look at the chess academy website and hope that between that and the wife I will learn the basics at least.

Chess has always appealed to me, used to love it when I saw in movies in New York the old guys playing Chess in the park. I think it is important to keep your brain active and a nice way to be social as well.

How autistic are you!? We're all on the spectrum! No doubt the very best chess players are a little autistic. As are many innovators.

Defo good for the brain, can help planning and thinking ahead. chess.com app is good. many chess apps out there. When ready we'll have a game!

Carlsen doesn't play as well now as he did a couple of years ago. He used to play the best moves instinctively, and without thinking too much. He looks more labored now, and doesn't seem to be in great form.
He doesn't seem confident he can win games, and looks to prefer to enter into "boring" positions with a high probability of remis.
Looks like he's just trying to get through the 12 games to get to the rapid chess. He's much better at rapid than Caruana, but I'm not sure it will go as far as the rapids. I think Caruana will win one of the next games, without Carlsen managing to fight back.

Last edited:

What about the carpentry? Did you get going on that?

Carlsen doesn't play as well now as he did a couple of years ago. He used to play the best moves instinctively, and without thinking too much. He looks more labored now, and doesn't seem to be in great form.
He doesn't seem confident he can win games, and looks to prefer to enter into "boring" positions with a high probability of remis.
Looks like he's just trying to get through the 12 games to get to the rapid chess. He's much better at rapid than Caruana, but I'm not sure it will go as far as the rapids. I think Caruana will win one of the next games, without Carlsen managing to fight back.

Yes I'd agree. But Carlsen is still the Champ. He showed signs of over analysing at times. But he has an edge on Caruana. Caruana is more hungry, and better prepared. Carlsen is the better chess player - better at calculating positions, which is why he is able to fight back. My money is on Carlsen, but it'd be fun to shake it up and for Carlsen to lose the title, would be good for him. Take a break, come back stronger. Would be good for the chess spectacle too.

Last edited:
Yes I'd agree. But Carlsen is still the Champ. He showed signs of over analysing at times. But he has an edge on Caruana. Caruana is more hungry, and better prepared. Carlsen is the better chess player - better at calculating positions, which is why he is able to fight back. My money is on Carlsen, but it'd be fun to shake it up and for Carlsen to lose the title, would be good for him. Take a break, come back stronger. Would be good for the chess spectacle.
I tend to agree, but for creating headlines and interest in chess, Carlsen wins it by miles. Caruana is a bit boring. I had hoped Giri, Vachier-Lagrave or Nakamura would be his opponent, as they are a bit more extrovert.

What about the carpentry? Did you get going on that?

Yep I have done a few bits round the house, wanted to make a shuffle board and it is still a plan to do over the next 6 months.

I work part time at B&Q it is a great employer who have been amazing to me and my health condition, one great side of that is i get a discount, I buy a lot of wood recently. Got a load of pallets that they were chucking out and I should carry this conversation on in the permaculture thread, going to do some raised beds for the garden

How autistic are you!? We're all on the spectrum! No doubt the very best chess players are a little autistic. As are many innovators.

Defo good for the brain, can help planning and thinking ahead. chess.com app is good. many chess apps out there. When ready we'll have a game!

Not sure how autistic I am if I even am.

Can not even remember where all the pieces are allowed to move yet haha. Love the idea of playing and learning and making my brain learn something.

Would love to play you online sounds cool, but they may take a long long time. The wife and her family play bridge, dont know if that is popular in Ireland but they played a lot when she was growing up and she says about teaching me that as well. Said i need to learn the basics of chess first.

Yep I have done a few bits round the house, wanted to make a shuffle board and it is still a plan to do over the next 6 months.

I work part time at B&Q it is a great employer who have been amazing to me and my health condition, one great side of that is i get a discount, I buy a lot of wood recently. Got a load of pallets that they were chucking out and I should carry this conversation on in the permaculture thread, going to do some raised beds for the garden
Carpentry is good for the soul. I think I might have mentioned this in another thread but make a workbench. This is more than just a thing to work on. This is your creative centre and you'll love it. Trust me. In fact there is a whole workbench subculture thing if you go on Pinterest. There is some mad brick on there.
Look at this beauty -> https://www.jack-bench.com/

You may mean savant rather than autistic.

Back