• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Any plumbers here?

scaramanga

Paul Miller
Staff member
I've just fitted a new thermostat so that I can use smart TRVs to control the temp in each room.

Fitting the TRVs was easy in most of the rooms, but a few have the valve below that none of the adapters fit. I can't identify the valves and I'd really rather not drain the whole system and replace them.

Can anyone identify them?

20181022_174810~2.jpg 20181022_174817~2.jpg

Good luck. We found they were a pain in the arse and caused more trouble than they solved.
The pins inside them get stuck and we ended up removing some. We just got system balanced and now use a Nest to control it.

Good luck. We found they were a pain in the arse and caused more trouble than they solved.
The pins inside them get stuck and we ended up removing some. We just got system balanced and now use a Nest to control it.
Which brand were they?

Which brand were they?

Don’t know, sorry!
Our plumber went round and took the tops off the problematic ones then pulled the pins up with pliers and we left the tops off. Some are working ok but we got fed up with them turning completely off because this pin getting stuck.

Yours maybe better quality but our plumber said they all cause problems.

Those valves can be OK but they don't save you a lot of money. The hot water is still pumped around the circuit, it just doesn't go into your rads. The boiler never interlocks (turns off).

I looked at the hive system but decided to go with the Honeywell evohome system as it allows you to zone the rooms using TRV's with each zone or radiator being able to start and stop the boiler.

As for the valve in the pic it might be a westherm one but only might be, I'm not a plumber.

Those valves can be OK but they don't save you a lot of money. The hot water is still pumped around the circuit, it just doesn't go into your rads. The boiler never interlocks (turns off).
It's not really about saving money, it's about being able to choose which temperature each room is at whenever I want.

It's really something that should have been a basic human right for a decade or two by now, yet people are just developing it.

I looked at the hive system but decided to go with the Honeywell evohome system as it allows you to zone the rooms using TRV's with each zone or radiator being able to start and stop the boiler.

As for the valve in the pic it might be a westherm one but only might be, I'm not a plumber.
Evohome is what I've installed

It's not really about saving money, it's about being able to choose which temperature each room is at whenever I want.

It's really something that should have been a basic human right for a decade or two by now, yet people are just developing it.
Fair enough though it is nice to be able to save money too.

Actually, zoning has been around for well over a decade or even two. I've come across some fairly old two zone systems, upstairs/downstairs, in my travels but I'd guess they started introducing it with the first underfloor heating systems whenever that was.

I'm about to install a underfloor system in my new house - 9 underfloor heating zones, 1 rad loop and hot water. Heatmiser neoStat V2 if anyone is vaguely interested.

Edit: actually I have removed the hotacoer zone from the plan now that I think about it. Combi boiler instead.

Last edited:
Fair enough though it is nice to be able to save money too.

Actually, zoning has been around for well over a decade or even two. I've come across some fairly old two zone systems, upstairs/downstairs, in my travels but I'd guess they started introducing it with the first underfloor heating systems whenever that was.

I'm about to install a underfloor system in my new house - 9 underfloor heating zones, 1 rad loop and hot water. Heatmiser neoStat V2 if anyone is vaguely interested.
What controls the zones? Are they all on separate pipe runs?

Back