• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best film of the 80s - QF4 - Trading Places v the Blues Brothers

Which film is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Might give that a go tomorrow when the GF is out - can't remember much of the second volume.

Is there a specific edit of this you can watch or just a case of watching one after the other?

There is a specific edit, the fight with the Crazy 88 is in colour, and Bill doesn’t give away that the daughter survives. But it only gets shown at film festivals and was never released. Get the same effect by watching the two back to back and smear the screen with ketchup for the House of Fallen Leaves section.

That was Reservoir Dogs. The up his own arsery is the whole point. Well, that and the foot fetishism.

i guess but up until Kill Bill he had the balance just about right, from there on i feel he needed a bit of reigning in with his style

edit : though looking at his filmography im not sure it's as big a deal as i first thought, went a bit off-piste with the Grindhouse movies and i thought IB was just a bit too try hard, Django was much better for me (but still had it's moments) and Hateful 8 was great and a much more serious film with less quirky Tarantino stylings

Last edited:
i guess but up until Kill Bill he had the balance just about right, from there on i feel he needed a bit of reigning in with his style

I think it’s also that Tarantino has had such an effect on film and TV that he no longer seems fresh or startling or unique. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were all those, which is why you can’t have a 90s cinema conversation without them. But now his tricks seem either commonplace or forced.

I think it’s also that Tarantino has had such an effect on film and TV that he no longer seems fresh or startling or unique. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were all those, which is why you can’t have a 90s cinema conversation without them. But now his tricks seem either commonplace or forced.

Agree with the first part of that.

went a bit off-piste with the Grindhouse movies and i thought IB was just a bit too try hard, Django was much better for me (but still had it's moments) and Hateful 8 was great and a much more serious film with less quirky Tarantino stylings

Agree entirely on all those fronts.

Missed this vote, but Trading Places wins it hands down. Just don’t “get” the blues brothers, no idea why it’s so loved.

The Washington Post's paywall is trivially easy to bypass; it's not surprising that its CMS is vulnerable to brute force attacks. Well done on creating so many stories, LinkedIn profiles, Twitter accounts and so on for Travis M Andrews, but you over-egg the pudding with the Goldblum murals. A little restraint, and the whole thing might have been plausible.

I'm not going to email the WaPo and draw attention to it, because presumably Travis M. Andrews III (jr)'s next article for them will be called Sissoko: European soccerball's MVP, and I'd like to see the meltdown when you post that one up.

Back