• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Football 2018 will do this to you.
Wenger was the killer of the British game with him continually complaining about tackles.
2016 started the end of this type of tackle and it is now dead.
The referees don’t know whether to stick or twist.
If you are going to take a yellow for the team don’t do it thier area also, it turns it in to a dumb play, especially when you may need it later if you are a defensive midfielder.

There are opinions all over about that tackle and i can understand why. However your bolded point is a good one ( imo) making that type of tackle in the opposing box is not really a good thing, i have no problem with Dier making that type of tackle but there is always the risk that he would get carded for it, and as you say he may need do it in a more relevant area of the pitch and that could see him in big trouble.

That type of tackle is not, and should not, be dead.

Referees absolutely should be a damn sight better than they are though, and know the difference between something like that and an actual foul.

I dont think it is acceptable to chastise Dier for a perfect tackle, just because of perceptions around what the game might have become.

The logical conclusion of that line of thought is football becoming a completely non-contact sport, and utter farce.

There are opinions all over about that tackle and i can understand why. However your bolded point is a good one ( imo) making that type of tackle in the opposing box is not really a good thing, i have no problem with Dier making that type of tackle but there is always the risk that he would get carded for it, and as you say he may need do it in a more relevant area of the pitch and that could see him in big trouble.

The ball was there to be won. He won it. Fairly.

We shouldnt have players second guessing and over thinking about when/where to make perfect tackles.

We SHOULD have referees that can tell their ass from their elbow and make the right calls when players actually play football.

The ball was there to be won. He won it. Fairly.

We shouldnt have players second guessing and over thinking about when/where to make perfect tackles.

We SHOULD have referees that can tell their ass from their elbow and make the right calls when players actually play football.

The way he came steaming in ( in that situation was not necessary ), all i am saying is that if he had to do the same in our box later ( and that in most games would be more often) then he would have been walking. There is a time and a place for what some refs ( rightly or wrongly) would class as a dangerous tackle.

Do not get me wrong i loved the tackle ( made a few like that in my playing days) but imo it was not that necessary in that situation.

The way he came steaming in ( in that situation was not necessary ), all i am saying is that if he had to do the same in our box later ( and that in most games would be more often) then he would have been walking. There is a time and a place for what some refs ( rightly or wrongly) would class as a dangerous tackle.

Do not get me wrong i loved the tackle ( made a few like that in my playing days) but imo it was not that necessary in that situation.
It was definitely necessary.
Firstly because it was Ramos.
Secondly, it set the tone for the team to be aggressive and press with intent.
Thirdly, a thing of beauty is a joy forever.

As I said, essentially you are trying to argue against Dier to accomodate poor refereeing.

The tackle is not the problem, the ref is.

Dier should be able to make a spectacular tackle like that anywhere, anytime, without having to worry about "game management" and gonad*s like that simply because referees are incompetent.

That type of tackle is not, and should not, be dead.

Sadly those type tackles are or should that be they run the risk of a yellow or worse.
All the gnashing of teeth won't alter the facts.

I dont think it is acceptable to chastise Dier for a perfect tackle

It wasn't the smartest play by Erik as he then was risking a red if needed to stop a player.

"Chastise" a tad OTT I feel.

The "facts" are that the tackle was perfectly legal and sporting, and the referee was incompetent to give a yellow.

If you want to be annoyed at anything, be annoyed at that - not the player.

The player shouldnt have to NOT PLAY just to accommodate the referee not being good enough to do his job.

"Chastise" is not OTT at all. There are plenty in here laying in to Dier, for nothing more than a spectacular (and again - legal) tackle that had a big impact on the game.

I do understand the idea of being reckless early becoming costly later, but he was not reckless, he was brilliant.

As I said, essentially you are trying to argue against Dier to accomodate poor refereeing.

The tackle is not the problem, the ref is.

Dier should be able to make a spectacular tackle like that anywhere, anytime, without having to worry about "game management" and gonads like that simply because referees are incompetent.

I am not trying to argue or make any point mate, i was saying that StephenH made a good point earlier about a time and place. No big deal, you think different then i do and to be honest its not that important ( we won the game which is all that matters).

The "facts" are that the tackle was perfectly legal and sporting and the referee was incompetent to give a yellow.

Argh "The incompetent referee" that's a subject that I stopped discussing 20+ years ago. It's a waste of time as the referee is omnipotent at the moment, pre-VAR.

The tackle in question I liken to me having the second jam doughnut with my morning coffee. It is a wondrous thing to behold sitting there in front of me on the plate but its still against the rules according to the referee, who is in this instance looks remarkably similar to Da Mrs :eek:.

Last edited:
Giving up, justifying it - and then complaining about the player not knowing better - we arent going to agree here.

The ref was wrong, not the player.

And if that doughnut is completely calorie free and delicious, your Mrs is wrong for not wanting you to eat it - and you are even more wrong for letting her have a say.

Looking forward to the day when all physical contact is removed from the game and we can enjoy some 87 - 85 thrillers, it will be perfect for unisex games and if we can just get monkeys to not pick up the ball (humanely trained of course) they could also play and the game can be a complete circus.

Laughable the amount of attention this tackle is getting. Yes it was great and I get that it helped set the tone etc etc but at the end of the day that was routine for the likes of Dave Mackay, Cyril Knowles, Graham Roberts and Stevie Perryman back in the day.

Laughable the amount of attention this tackle is getting. Yes it was great and I get that it helped set the tone etc etc but at the end of the day that was routine for the likes of Dave Mackay, Cyril Knowles, Graham Roberts and Stevie Perryman back in the day.

Time just marches on and not for the better in many ways!

To be fair, he should have been sent off against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the 2-2. That one was a bit of an exception though and his challenges/assaults there were just as glorious as the one on Ramos but in a very different way.
Also, if you recall, he was very fortunate to somehow escape a 2nd yellow in the NLD that finished 2-2 (Feb/March '16?) - For a blatant/silly pull back on one of theirs that put a stop to a potentially dangerous attack.

Back