• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Lets not let one international game overshadow how mediocre he has been this season and last. He is a player we would not miss if we sold him and got someone else in.

People may say he is important due to being very flexible with the positions he plays, but he doesn’t fill me with confidence in any position.
That's not what he's there to do.

fudging glorious that was. How it was a foul or yellow card is beyond me.

He hasn’t pushed on much since 2016 but he showed enough to me in that season to show that he is well worth a place in our squad/team. Plus I love his attitude on the pitch and off it. Proper warrior.

Harry Kane's pass to Rashford was a true thing of footballing beauty.

Dier just got booked for taking the man and the ball. That was OK ten years ago but pointless into today game.
I see little to crow about, I'd rather he stayed on his feet and got the ball.

Harry Kane's pass to Rashford was a true thing of footballing beauty.

Dier just got booked for taking the man and the ball. That was OK ten years ago but pointless into today game.
I see little to crow about, I'd rather he stayed on his feet and got the ball.

The tackle was fair and within the rules.

Tackles like that early set a tone and mindset for a team (and opposition if you do it right). Look at Vinny Jones on Steve McMahon in 1988 or Roy Keane on Marc Overmars in 2001. Only difference was that Dier’s was a fantastic, fair tackle.

The tackle was fair and within the rules.

Alas, the referee said it was not. He's the geezer that matters and the followthrough took out 'poor old' Ramos.
There is no point in tackling like that nowadays, none. A yellow will follow 9 times out of ten with the occasional red thrown in for good measure as refereeing is so arbitrary these days.
Erik would be better advised to stop going to ground in the majority of situations and no matter how much you want to see Ramos get his comeuppance that isn't the way to go about it.

Alas, the referee said it was not. He's the geezer that matters and the followthrough took out 'poor old' Ramos.
There is no point in tackling like that nowadays, none. A yellow will follow 9 times out of ten with the occasional red thrown in for good measure as refereeing is so arbitrary these days.
Erik would be better advised to stop going to ground in the majority of situations and no matter how much you want to see Ramos get his comeuppance that isn't the way to go about it.

No tackle that makes the recipient wonder where the fudge did that come from is pointless! In any international club or country match refereeing is at best flaky.

I can see where you're coming from and, yes, I would rather see my midfielders staying on their feet too. However, this is a special case and might even have been part of a pre-match plan. Ramos may be a cunbt, but he's a seriously dangerous player. If that tackle served to put him off his game, I think it was worth the yellow card. It certainly wasn't a horror tackle, the sort designed to seriously hurt a player, but rather a marker.

I agree that it's a yellow card more often than not, in this day and age. There's clearly more intent there than "I'm going to try and get the ball off this player". Look where it is on the pitch and how Dier steams in.

Every time I see a replay, it makes me smile. Couldn't happen to a nicer chap.

I can see where you're coming from and, yes, I would rather see my midfielders staying on their feet too. However, this is a special case and might even have been part of a pre-match plan. Ramos may be a cunbt, but he's a seriously dangerous player. If that tackle served to put him off his game, I think it was worth the yellow card. It certainly wasn't a horror tackle, the sort designed to seriously hurt a player, but rather a marker.

I agree that it's a yellow card more often than not, in this day and age. There's clearly more intent there than "I'm going to try and get the ball off this player". Look where it is on the pitch and how Dier steams in.

Every time I see a replay, it makes me smile. Couldn't happen to a nicer chap.

My only issue with the tackle was that it made the Scousers happy. By default, I hate anything that makes those bindipping clams happy.

No tackle that makes the recipient wonder where the fudge did that come from is pointless! In any international club or country match refereeing is at best flaky.

Your "flaky" reference is spot on and yet another reason for players to stay on their feet.
In the refined football world of the likes of Martin Keown c.1995 'the reducer' as it was romantically known in the certain parlance, is now thankfully confined to history. As much as some may bemoan its passing this does distract from the fact that it is 'now' a fowl and will result in a 'real world' a yellow card, worse case RED when the man with the whistle is of your correctly identified 'flaky' variety.

The ref got it wrong but it doesn't really matter because Diet is in control of his game and being on a yellow didn't effect his performance.

Ramos would've bullied our forwards all game given a chance. Putting players like him on the back foot and reducing their influence is a smart thing to do in any era. If the physical side of the game had been eliminated, players like Ramos wouldn't be picking up CL winner's medals.

The ref got it wrong but it doesn't really matter because Diet is in control of his game and being on a yellow didn't effect his performance.

Ramos would've bullied our forwards all game given a chance. Putting players like him on the back foot and reducing their influence is a smart thing to do in any era. If the physical side of the game had been eliminated, players like Ramos wouldn't be picking up CL winner's medals.

Sorry but he in TODAYs game he will get sent off!
I don’t like the non contact side of the game.
But it is what it is and any player going to ground like Dier did will get eventually sent off and it something that will need to be coached out of players ‘in today’s game’.

We may hate it but that’s the way the games going sadly.

Good point. Remind me how many red cards Dier has received in his career.

Milo it’s got absobloodylutely nothing to do with Dier it’s any player who goes diving in on the slide.
You know this as much as anybody.
What I will add is the amount of fan attention given to a ‘tackle’ amongst such a good football performance speaks I find a little sad.
Harry’s display was imho outstanding that I feel is far more worthy of highlighting.

Ps Dier was also bloody good as were all the team even the new Cruyff!

Milo it’s got absobloodylutely nothing to do with Dier it’s any player who goes diving in on the slide.
You know this as much as anybody.
What I will add is the amount of fan attention given to a ‘tackle’ amongst such a good football performance speaks I find a little sad.
Harry’s display was imho outstanding that I feel is far more worthy of highlighting.

It has everything to do with Dier because you are singling him out for criticism on that tackle. A tackle that was within the rules; fair, under control and without his feet raised. You would see worse in most games from Ramos.

Diet's disciplinary record is also relevant when discussing the chances of him getting a second yellow. It has neverr happened in his career because he is in control of his game*.

You always get a reaction like this when a player sticks it to a clam. It is a pleasure to see them on the receiving end for a change.

*As an aside, I would welcome any of our players getting a red on international duty and sitting out some games.

It has everything to do with Dier because you are singling him out for criticism on that tackle. A tackle that was within the rules; fair, under control and without his feet raised. You would see worse in most games from Ramos.

Diet's disciplinary record is also relevant when discussing the chances of him getting a second yellow. It has neverr happened in his career because he is in control of his game*.

You always get a reaction like this when a player sticks it to a clam. It is a pleasure to see them on the receiving end for a change.

*As an aside, I would welcome any of our players getting a red on international duty and sitting out some games.
I has nothing to do with Dier.
It is more an obsivation as to attention and praise ‘the tackle’ is disproportionately receiving.

He's had 37 yellows and never once had two in a match

He got a straight red once in a flimflam cup match a long time ago.

To be fair, he should have been sent off against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the 2-2. That one was a bit of an exception though and his challenges/assaults there were just as glorious as the one on Ramos but in a very different way.

Back