• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Window Thread

£55m is why I can’t see it sadly

We didnt spend anything in the summer, dont forget - so we have money in the bank ;)

I dont think £55m is out of the question at all. And I do think NDombele is exactly the sort of player we would spend good money on.

I beg to differ. I'm a London-based club with one of the best stadiums and best training centers in Europe, who finished 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd the previous years, and the 10th richest club in the world. I'm not a flash in the pan like Leicester. So if we win it, even if we finish 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd in subsequent years, we'll still be seen as a big hitters. It's being in the mix with a chance of winning it all that matters and placing in the top 3 for several years in a row, even with one title to show for it, would change people's perception.

We are Tottenham, there is a certain perspective that prevails - itll take a hell of a lot to change it.

As you say, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd - have you seen much in the way of credit? Or just a permanent expectation we will fall back?

Of course, Id love to see us win it so we can have a look to see how it plays out after ;)

We didnt spend anything in the summer, dont forget - so we have money in the bank ;)

I dont think £55m is out of the question at all. And I do think NDombele is exactly the sort of player we would spend good money on.

I remain sceptical.

When you read "Reports: Tanguy Ndombele to cost £70m after Tottenham's failed bid".
Two things come to mind
  1. we will not pay £70m for any player ATM
  2. Ndombele is not someone I would pay anywhere near the sort of money they are rumouring.
The current inflated market is geared up for mega money clubs only for these much-publicised players.
I'm did not saying he's a bad buy. I just don't see us in the market for players at that price point ATM.
Levy for me will be looking for greater value in his next purchases. Ndombele will probably be a brilliant buy for Liverpool, Arsenal etc.

So is it £55m or £70m?

£55m - absolutely I can see us paying for a player if we think he will add significantly to the team.

£70m? I think its possible but much less certain.

And I also think CM is the most glaring issue we have, and that someone of NDombele's skillset will be a big addition.

£55m - absolutely I can see us paying for a player if we think he will add significantly to the team.

IF.

My 'feeling' is the Eriksen type contracts are the first priory for any outlay. Sadly this strategy is flawed as the very player we must retain will want to see ambition from Spurs. Catch 22.

Time will tell. I dont see them as mutually exclusive though.

Levy is a wonderful chairman. It will be interesting to see how he manoeuvres the club over the next few years.
Daniel though is not a 'Paul Daniels' (sorry for that) he cannot perform magic.

Levy has been very quiet of late?

What magic? He has spent money in the past. He has pushed our record spend on a player year on year. We recently spent £40m on a rookie defender, why wouldnt we sped £55m on a midfielder who could add significantly to the team?

And with the new TV deal and impending stadium income, why would that have any bearing on negotiating contracts for current players?

What magic? He has spent money in the past. He has pushed our record spend on a player year on year. We recently spent £40m on a rookie defender, why wouldnt we sped £55m on a midfielder who could add significantly to the team?

And with the new TV deal and impending stadium income, why would that have any bearing on negotiating contracts for current players?

Magic: turn £1 into £10

If which many say the stadium cost has increased markedly it will affect 'everything' going forward to some degree.
There is an attitude from some fans that this stadium is happening in some form of financial isolation., definitely not helped by the infamous "the stadium will not impact on transfers" club statement.
Our new wonderful stadium is risk and must not be underestimated as to the long-term effect on costs, thus transfers, wages etc.
Long-term it is no doubt it helps us in many ways financially in the 'years to come' but I think we will see that some ways down the line.

"TV deal and impending stadium income" will all have been forecast and included in the budgets over some considerable time going back as far as 10 years when first announced, and contingencies for market fluctuations allowed for. The first thing the club will want to do is minimise surprises, both negative, for obvious reasons and positive for missing an opportunity like a Ndombele.

None of which means we wont spend at market rate on players.

No, but now for me, it's vital the club manages expectations going forward.
Yes, positive sell season tickets!
But it also stokes up trouble down the line from the 'pitchfork levy out' phalanx if we don't have the finance.
Balancing the two is where the smart move is.

I'm naturally cautious (no brick Sherlock I hear you say) but expecting the Ndombele of this world this January will only end in tears and then sadly turn into mass whinging.

Last edited:
The club just went a whole window without buying a player, you think they care about expectations?

They will do what they believe is in the best long term interest.

If thats not buying anyone, well - we have seen that. If thats spending big on someone special? I think we would.

Its all about right player/time/place.

you think they care about expectations

Absolutely! The long-term season ticket sales are of massive importance and that cannot be overstated.
They will have already have been used to secure 'long-term' finance for that stadium.
Its why it a juggling act for Levy and not an easy by any means.

We didnt make a single transfer this summer, if expectations were that important we wouldnt have been so bold.

Season ticket sales are based on the product, be that success/style/both. Not "expectations" (whatever that actually means).

I can see us making one (big) transfer in January - probably Ndombele or De Ligt. Either will likely be loaned back out to their current club for the rest of the season.

Back