• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

But the formation vs pool was a 4-3-3 but the midfield looked lost

And there are games where Eriksen or Dele have dropped back and we have looked greatly improved. I think that all @braineclipse is calling for is a deeper ball player to help us break open deep set sides and break quicker. There is nothing stopping one of the three joining the attack after the ball is played, making 4-2-3-1 in attack.

And there are games where Eriksen or Dele have dropped back and we have looked greatly improved. I think that all @braineclipse is calling for is a deeper ball player to help us break open deep set sides and break quicker. There is nothing stopping one of the three joining the attack after the ball is played, making 4-2-3-1 in attack.

True
Other than the players we had playing don’t do that naturally as CMs
Dele comes backs and helps out when we have a 2 man. Lamela does 2... moura and sonny don’t hence why we have problems against high pressing teams without the right first 11

His second pass of if off could have been intercepted by one of 3 players and they would have had an attack through the middle of the pitch and starting it in our half.. that’s high risk football

Are you talking about a pass back or something?
We had plent of players back to cover if that pass had been intercepted. It wasn't risky. It was good, but not very risky. And Yes, he had several passes across the pitch that were fudging stupid and unnecessary, that were a pussy hair away from being snatched. And he's done that a lot lately.

We had plent of players back to cover if that pass had been intercepted. It wasn't risky. It was good, but not very risky. And Yes, he had several passes across the pitch that were fudging stupid and unnecessary, that were a pussy hair away from being snatched. And he's done that a lot lately.

But they weren’t snatched were they?

Well your talking nearly
It’s like your trying find a fault for the sake of it
No, just pointing out that despite that he had a good game compared to his last 20 games for us, he was lucky not to make the same errors as he has been much and often criticized for, namely sloppy, arrogant passes. It was marginal. That's it.

I don't understand calls for rigidity of formation. We have frequently had a player drop back to make a three. As long as players get forward to support the attack, it shouldn't matter and what @braineclipse is calling for here is a ball player to speed up transitions.

I have a theory around what you say (which I agree with BTW)...

Poch wanted to move Toby, Rose and Dembele on. Two of those players were nailed omniscience's departures for much of the season, and as such, last season we ended up playing a lot of football without either. Quite well as it goes. They priced themselves out of moves. That left Poch needing to reintegrate them. Add to that Hugo's transgressions, and we ended up playing Watford, Liverpool and Inter without a key cornerstone of our quick breaks (Lloris) and with a CB who is still feeling his way back in (Toby had his best game yet yesterday I admit, but for me is still not quite to par). Rose is also finding his way. Son hasn't been around, meaning that to get the best out of Moura, Kane has to adapt to a slightly deeper/withdrawn role, and Alli has been hurt for a couple of games which costs us dearly at both ends of the pitch as he does a lot of dirty defensive coverage which people don't notice until he isn't there. Moose is great for 30-40 mins but fades, and let's face it, he has never been known for his quick release. Eric Dier spent last season playing two positions, and this season he is again being asked to fit where he can for the team and to be his usual, fully-responsible-no-shirking self. I actually think Dier does a wonderful amount of dirty work, always making himself available and always ready to put himself where he needs to. He does not hide.

When we think about the fact that we have to play Son, All, Eriksen and Kane together for a full match this season, when we think about the fact we have yet to do that with Lloris in goal, the fact we are where we are is actually pretty good. Add the disruption of the stadium completion. This is one tough fudging season. If people want to start heaping portions of blame omniscience's Eric Dier, then I am sure he can take it, as IMO, those people are simply not looking at the bigger picture.

Posted as a general discussion point and not at any one specifically.

He's been criticised for poor performances recently but the signs are now that Dier is turning a corner. Some of his passing against Brighton was De Bruyne-esque yet he is getting very little recognition for it.

Mistakes notwithstanding, I made him our MotM .

Would agree with all of that.

Think it's quite simple with Eric, needs to stay behind the ball as he cannot get back to defensive positions quick enough.
Seeing signs that he's getting his passing game together, some will get intercepted as he tries to thread through the lines but as long as he's just in front of the back 3 or 4 rather than past the half-way line we'll(he'll) be fine.

Thanks @SteveAWOL, for that link to http://statszone.tiki-taka.co/

Shame there are no websites doing it anymore... e.g.

As of summer 2017, FourFourTwo has made the decision to discontinue Stats Zone activities.

Although Stats Zone initially won industry awards and gathered a loyal following, it became a drain on resources that sadly wasn’t matched by the level of interest and, specifically, income it generated.

It’s not been an easy decision – in fact, it’s one of the toughest we’ve had to make in the 23-year history of FourFourTwo.

Sadly, though, the football media content we all consume doesn’t come for free. Trouble is, nobody pays for apps and a significant number of people use ad-blockers. It’s at this point where the financial model breaks down and we have to start making choices about what we can and can’t do any more.

Anyway - regarding those pass maps, very noticeable how the passing was sideways first half and penetrative second half when Brighton opened up.
If you look at the "first half" images, nearly all of the passes in our half were pointless side to side "after you, no, after you" passes.
They weren't aggressively switching the play or pulling Brighton quickly from side to side and wearing them out, they weren't waiting for some awesome positioning from players ahead... they were just a sign that as soon as a defender was slightly confronted he would go "woah, run away, me not like it, you have it" rather than being proactive.

As of summer 2017, FourFourTwo has made the decision to discontinue Stats Zone activities.

Although Stats Zone initially won industry awards and gathered a loyal following, it became a drain on resources that sadly wasn’t matched by the level of interest and, specifically, income it generated.

No surprise there really most fans are fed up with stats being thrown at them from all quarters, it started of well but apart from the devout "stat junkies" most of the fans are getting turned off by the way they are misread and misused.

Shame there are no websites doing it anymore... e.g.

It’s not been an easy decision – in fact, it’s one of the toughest we’ve had to make in the 23-year history of FourFourTwo.

Sadly, though, the football media content we all consume doesn’t come for free. Trouble is, nobody pays for apps and a significant number of people use ad-blockers. It’s at this point where the financial model breaks down and we have to start making choices about what we can and can’t do any more.

Anyway - regarding those pass maps, very noticeable how the passing was sideways first half and penetrative second half when Brighton opened up.
If you look at the "first half" images, nearly all of the passes in our half were pointless side to side "after you, no, after you" passes.
They weren't aggressively switching the play or pulling Brighton quickly from side to side and wearing them out, they weren't waiting for some awesome positioning from players ahead... they were just a sign that as soon as a defender was slightly confronted he would go "woah, run away, me not like it, you have it" rather than being proactive.
Wouldn’t that be at least partly to do with Brighton coming out and attacking us a bit more 2nd half? First half was literally 11 men behind the ball, back 6, 3 protecting and Murray half pressing Toby and Jan. 2nd half I felt they noticeably pushed up the pitch and committed more forward which left the gaps to move and pass in to.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Back