• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I bloody love Aussie Rules football

Mulletperm

Milija Aleksic
Game yesterday. West Coast Eagles (my team) were down by 8 points (1 goal = 6 points) with 2 mins left. Amazing end to the game.

A bit about the rules/gameplay here:

When you 'get it', it's a brilliant game.

I have lived in Sydney & Perth at various time since 1994 & still don't get it.
Did feel sorry for the guy that's about to have his sixth knee reconstruction though

It really isn't that difficult guys....

Agreed. I watched a lot of Aussie Rules one year back in the 80s when ESPN was just beginning. I remember liking it - Essenden were the champs that year I think - and I understood the rules well enough. It is certainly more straight forward that cricket, which remains a mystery to me.

Game yesterday. West Coast Eagles (my team) were down by 8 points (1 goal = 6 points) with 2 mins left. Amazing end to the game.

A bit about the rules/gameplay here:

When you 'get it', it's a brilliant game.
Watching that vid, they were 8 points behind with 1 minute to go. Then they get 6 points for someone scuffing a ball on the volley, out of their own hands, from 6 yards, with no goalie and no crossbar. TRICKY!

Watching that vid, they were 8 points behind with 1 minute to go. Then they get 6 points for someone scuffing a ball on the volley, out of their own hands, from 6 yards, with no goalie and no crossbar. TRICKY!
8 points behind with 1 minute to go. Is that like 2 points from 8 games?

Exactly my point in the weekly office debate about which form of 'football' is better. Kick and catch as I've renamed it, is no better than 30 muscly men who manage to party harder than anyone else on a Saturday night in Melbourne, chasing an egg in the mud. Add to the fact you've got no goalie or crossbar, the posts are about 30-40 wide. You literally can't miss. You get a point for missing in fact. I throw the ball through the posts when I walk the dog, nine times out of ten from about 60 metres. Joke of a sport and that's why no-one outside of Melbourne gives a fcuk about it.

Exactly my point in the weekly office debate about which form of 'football' is better. Kick and catch as I've renamed it, is no better than 30 muscly men who manage to party harder than anyone else on a Saturday night in Melbourne, chasing an egg in the mud. Add to the fact you've got no goalie or crossbar, the posts are about 30-40 wide. You literally can't miss. You get a point for missing in fact. I throw the ball through the posts when I walk the dog, nine times out of ten from about 60 metres. Joke of a sport and that's why no-one outside of Melbourne gives a fcuk about it.

I like to bathe in custard !

No interest in it here in Queensland, although none of the sports up here survive other than Brisbane Broncos in Rugby League. I did go on a Corporate jolly to the AFL Grand Final a few years back (Hawthorn v West Coast) and have to admit they put a great event on but still thought the game was dogbrick.

It really is a terrible sport, and the carry on from Victorian’s just makes it that much more unbearable.

Average home ground attendances for 2018. While it's clearly extremely popular in Victoria, I'd say it's more a case of people in Queensland don't give a fudge about it as the other states tend to get good numbers to games.

I know I'd rather watch AFL than the absolute borefest that is NRL.

Adelaide South Australia 45815

Brisbane Lions Queensland 18610

Carlton Victoria 34264

Collingwood Victoria 50260

Essendon Victoria 47356

Fremantle Western Australia 41808

Geelong Victoria 35975

Gold Coast Queensland 13711

Greater Western Sydney NSW 10961

Hawthorn Victoria 33298

Melbourne Victoria 40961

North Melbourne Victoria 20958

Port Adelaide South Australia 38133

Richmond Victoria 59944

St Kilda Victoria 26207

Sydney NSW 33389

West Coast Western Australia 52993

Western Bulldogs Victoria 25372

I like it. When I lived in Melbourne I watched quite a few games, and once you get the rules, it's quite entertaining.

It's a rough sport though. I think the average top flight career is about three years or something? Their knees snap all the time, understandably.

My favourite rule (if I remember correctly) is that when you tackle the opposition player carrying the ball, you get the free kick if you manage to flatten him before he can pass the ball. Tackling as in running into him from any angle, aming knee high, either pushing or pulling him to the ground.*

No wonder those knees go.

* It's been 15 years since I left Melbourne and my weekly Aussie rules exposure, so I could be wrong in my memory of the rules of the game.

Yep pretty much.

If you tackle a player (above knees and below shoulder) when he has had an opportunity to dispose of it, it is a free-kick to the guy who made the tackle.

I also like the fact that if a player backchats the referee in the smallest way, or disputes a decision it is an immediate 50 yard advantage to the other team, moving the free-kick forward.

Mullet congratulations on west coast getting to the grand final. will you be heading to the mcg

Nah unfortunately not mate. Flights will be crazy expensive (if you can get a seat) and I simply can't afford it.
That's a shame having lived in Perth for many years i hope west coast win for you.
The icing on the cake is that if you win that clam mcguire will be crying like a baby

I was over the moon when we beat the Pies in the prelim and he looked like his head was going to explode. Cannot stand the clam.

Ok so let me get this straight. The man of the match in the Collingwood was Mason Cox, an American who apart from being over 2 metres tall, only started playing AFL a year and a half ago?

He's now in the equivalent of the Champions League final. Absolute joke. In what other sport can you get to the top level in less than two years? Kicking a goal under the conditions they have to do it is simply not difficult enough.

Neither semi final was interesting, bot one sided games which were over at half time.

There have been AFL players that have moved to American Football professional teams.

I tell you what, you try kicking one of those balls 40-50+ meters and it going straight. I tried it a few months ago ago for the first time and it ain't easy.

Back