• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Gave our attacking play more impetus when he came on. Added a bit more grit too. I'd start him vs watford and only take him off if we can get a two-goal lead going into the last 20 mins...ok maybe three goal lead...

Erik Lamela compared to Spurs heroes Gazza and Ossie Ardiles by Glenn Hoddle after Brighton goal

The Argentinian is fast becoming a talisman for Tottenham Hotspur

Former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Glenn Hoddle has honoured Erik Lamela by comparing him to none other than Paul Gascoigne and Ossie Ardiles.

The pair are two of the finest players to ever wear the shirt for Spurs and excelled at using their skills to overcome opponents in the English topflight.

Mauricio Pochettino sent the former Roma forward on against Brighton after his star turn off the bench in the loss to Liverpool and another bright performance in the Champions League.

He provided the assist to Christian Eriksen for the opener against Inter and was taken off prior to the 10 minute collapse that saw Tottenham fall to defeat after taking the lead earlier in the match.

In the Brighton game, he came on and struck home what proved to be a vital goal in a 2-1 victory. The Seagulls scored their goal late on. Had Lamela not found the back of the net after coming on, Spurs would have drawn the game.

The Argentinian was not only an effective forward player in the game, he got stuck into the fight for possession and at one point sent the defender Lewis Dunk to the floor with a suspected split lip.

On replay it appeared that he caught the player with his arm but it was unintentional.

"He held him off," said Hoddle on BT Sport. "He caught the big centre-back as he held him off.

"Gazza did it, Ossie Ardiles was brilliant at it, you just fend them off."

The ex-Spurs midfielder turned manager was even more taken with Lamela's goal.

"This is a fabulous technique," he said. "Just guides it. Makes sure he stays over the ball. No power at all, really. Beaten the keeper with the technique.

"Lovely finish and Tottenham needed it because at the time Brighton were back in the game.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/erik-lamela-compared-spurs-heroes-15188553

-------------------------------------------------------

Lamela now has 4 goals and 2 assists in 5 matches in all competitions. He is getting clinical in front of goal which will help us greatly. But remember, he is still yet to start for us in the league so far this season. For all his hard work and creativity, he deserves to start for us every match.

But would Shaqiri have come on and scored 2 instead of 1, like Pamela, is the question?

I joke. We are now seeing signs of Lamela that we have always wanted to see. I love being proven wrong. Lets be honest, its not often that I am.

It's difficult for him to force his way into the team. So much quality in those roles for us and Eriksen definitely deserves to play his way back to form.

Lamela can't do much more to earn a start than he's doing at the moment. I'd start him over Son right now, but with Alli coming back and Moura showing good form...
We really needed to buy an attacking midfielder in the summer window. Oh wait...

We really needed to buy an attacking midfielder in the summer window. Oh wait...
Had a new £60m signing performed like Lamela has so far this season everyone would be praising our transfer dealings to no end. But it's the trust put in him from Pochettino that's brought this, it's the decision not to sign someone to replace him (as several posters wanted) that's brought this. Even if Lamela wasn't sold surely a new signing for that role would have blocked Lamela's playing time.

Apparently the performances and end product he's delivered is a sign of a flawed transfer strategy.

He has just edged past Moura as the current "first name on the teamsheet." Though I do like his impact from the bench, so what do you reckon Poch should do? Super sub or starter?

Him dele return and so does the press.
Worked his bottom off even more than usual.
Hope gets some minutes on Saturday but not enough to knacker him for barca.

Back