• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

You are correct!
Dier is getting overrun and bypassed by quicker more agile opposition players and on Saturday it left Winks running around like a blue-arsed fly trying to cover.
With an ageing (physically) Dembele and a crocked Wanyama, I would be tempted to look to some youngsters.
Dier is better suited to a place at the back.

Winks was running around as he didn't know where he was playing. He was supposedly on the left of a 3

The midfield set up was all wrong and it really hurt us as we changed our set up to suit them... Its why we look smiles better playing a familiar 4-2-3-1

Winks was running around as he didn't know where he was playing. He was supposedly on the left of a 3

The midfield set up was all wrong and it really hurt us as we changed our set up to suit them... Its why we look smiles better playing a familiar 4-2-3-1

I think I prefer 3 @the back, I think I do?

He played better today against Brighton, moved the ball quicker, didn't make stupid turnovers of possession that I can remember. First half he was better as Brighton had no interest in attacking. 2nd half, Brighton pushed up a bit and I don't think Dembele or Dier were that great 2nd half, but still better this game than others.

Hopefully, Dier will keep moving the ball quickly and keep the simple mistakes down to a minimum.

He played better today against Brighton, moved the ball quicker, didn't make stupid turnovers of possession that I can remember. First half he was better as Brighton had no interest in attacking. 2nd half, Brighton pushed up a bit and I don't think Dembele or Dier were that great 2nd half, but still better this game than others.

Hopefully, Dier will keep moving the ball quickly and keep the simple mistakes down to a minimum.
The system suits him
The issue when we’re pressed is the 3 in front don’t come back to help as their waiting to pounce

Dier pretty much always does better when opponents stands off him like in the first half today. He's fairly effective on the ball in those situations.

When Brighton pressed he again struggled.

His involvement for Lamela's goal is really nice, but look at it again. No real intensity or aggression from the Brighton players.

We can't rely on opponents to stand off us to look good.

Which website shows passing maps for first half and second half (for all players and for Dier)? Could someone find these please?
In the first half it felt like we went sideways sideways back sideways sideways back

I feel we wouldn’t miss him if he was sold.

And we played who there?

Winks plays more like Moussa and has stared 14 league games in his career

Victor (who’s style is more like Diers) is injured too much and really cant pass the ball as well

Unless of course we wanna go and pay £50M for someone who can ply midfield and CB during the same game we would miss shim massively IMO

We missed him vs Watford who despite the result we were miles better than but had no midfield backbone
The team was woeful against Pool and i put a big part of that down to Poch and his dabbling at new systems that don’t work for us currently.
Against Inter we’re were doing fine playing 4-2-3-1 (the system that suits Dier in midfield) but as soon as Poch changed it we became weaker

Yesterday he was very good. His passes made his man and he won tackles in midfield. I’ve rewatched the game and he put in some lovely balls through the middle and wide that of it was another player there would be a highlights reel for. And people claim he made a mistake ...I didn’t see any obvious ones but it 2 am

And we played who there?

Victor (who’s style is more like Diers) is injured too much and really cant pass the ball as well

Unless of course we wanna go and pay £50M for someone who can ply midfield and CB during the same game we would miss shim massively IMO

We missed him vs Watford who despite the result we were miles better than but had no midfield backbone
The team was woeful against Pool and i put a big part of that down to Poch and his dabbling at new systems that don’t work for us currently.
Against Inter we’re were doing fine playing 4-2-3-1 (the system that suits Dier in midfield) but as soon as Poch changed it we became weaker

Yesterday he was very good. His passes made his man and he won tackles in midfield. I’ve rewatched the game and he put in some lovely balls through the middle and wide that of it was another player there would be a highlights reel for. And people claim he made a mistake ...I didn’t see any obvious ones but it 2 am

I don’t dislike Dier, but for me he is simply not good enough defensively (he is particularly unconvincing defending set pieces) and when pressed he struggles more than Wanyama, Dembele or Winks. Winks, despite not being as physically big as the other three is very good at keeping the ball under pressure and then creating an attack hence why I think we are more solid with him than Dier. Dier’s first pass to Trippier was lovely and shows what he has in his locker passing wise. However Toby can do those long raking balls and I am sure Winks has them in his locker too. For me Dier would not be an automatic starter in the team if the other 3 are fit. If we could get good money for him I would let him go. Shame really because I was really hoping he would be the natural Michael Carrick replacement, but unfortunately he doesn’t have the positional or defensive mind set of Carrick.

And we played who there?

For me the main difference between yesterday and Watford was that Watford took their chances. If Knockaert had equalized or Brighton had scored from a set piece I think a lot of people would have had different thoughts about our performance yesterday.

I agree that Dier was quite good for much of the game yesterday. Tidy and even some good expansive passing, as we know he's clearly capable of. But that mostly came with Brighton giving him time on the ball. When they pressed us high up the pitch he mostly disappeared when we were on the ball.

I like him, he's a good player. And I think he will improve. I don't think we should sell him. And most definitely not without bringing in a real quality player, or if another youngster steps up.

That being said I still want Winks to anchor our midfield.

I would agree Dier has not played well so far but it amazes me that people just dont understand how a team game works and it's not just about what players do when they have the ball, sure the pundits on tv can't see it that's why they aren't managers. It's about balance and team spirit as much as any thing else. When I was a kid I always thought Medwin should play instead of Dyson and Hopkins should be playing rather than Baker, luckily Bill knew better.

I would agree Dier has not played well so far but it amazes me that people just dont understand how a team game works and it's not just about what players do when they have the ball, sure the pundits on tv can't see it that's why they aren't managers. It's about balance and team spirit as much as any thing else. When I was a kid I always thought Medwin should play instead of Dyson and Hopkins should be playing rather than Baker, luckily Bill knew better.
Not sure if you're talking more in general or weighing in on the current discussion on Dier vs. Winks?

I agree with your overall point. But for me Winks adds more of what we need. Performances and results when he has anchored our midfield surely indicates that at the very least there hasn't been a severe lack of balance or team spirit?

The combined weaknesses of Dier and Dembele makes us more vulnerable when teams press high up the pitch imo. To me that is as important as balance.

The combined weaknesses of Dier and Dembele also causes problems against teams that sit back deep. Again an important issue.

To me not having enough ability to pass quickly through central midfield when under pressure is the primary area where we could/should improve in our otherwise excellent team. I don't see that enough from Dier, Dembele or Wanyama. Having only one, young and so far injury prone, deep midfielder with that in his locker is an imbalance in our squad.

So pundits on tv, many of whom played CM at top level don’t understand how team game works but of course posters on here do better?:DOk then....

As for Dier, yesterday was better when he was given time on the ball but as soon as he was pressurised he started losing the ball again. But let’s hope this was the start of some better form, green shoots and all that...

Back