• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Internazionale

Problem is also when we get out of the high press we cause no damage so the opposition can gamble.

We broke it a few times yesterday and that means 4 of their players are out of the game, we should be hurting them and then they will be less effective next time.

*Edit additional.. I am thinking it has a bit to do with the loss of Walker and Roses pace and athleticism (I know Rose) finally catching up with us. We were known as a powerful pressing team and we have not been that this season. I am not exaggerating the point and I think this way at the beginning of most seasons until October time but it feels a little more permanent this time.
Correctemundo!! We pass it through the press, and then slow right down, and wait for the opposition to get back and settle into their defensive shape! It's so fudging frustrating!!

I know this is cliche, but let's think about it: a fit and firing Wanyama, Lamela, Winks, Toby, and Rose, players who we got very little out of last season, would be like new signings. Add to that a bedded in Moura. So why is everyone saying that not making new signings are an issue? Who would we have dropped? We have a very good and deep squad. If there is one position we could have filled it's probably the Dembele one, but even then who is to say that player would have been up to speed this early in the season?
Perhaps two things are at play. One, the actual players and the skills they have - which traditionally under Poch means a long bedding-in process. The other is the mental aspect that signing a QUALITY player can lift the squad (listen to Micky Hazard on The Spurs Show podcast about the lift a squad can get from a good new signing).

Whatever is at play with the club this season there doesn’t seem to be the same energy levels, concentration levels and seeming desire to win.

In the case of SAF, it's because he was a far better manager than Poch. No one can argue about that.

In the case of Simeone, it's because he buys battlers and scrappers - players with a mean streak, with a point to prove. Like Costa, for instance. And then he gets them together, plays a defensive, scorched-earth style of football and grinds his way to 1-0 victories.

In our case, we've had technical, flaky bottlers around for most of our history, and this team is no different. They're talented, but something in them is as brittle and prone to collapse as any other Spurs team, and it won't go away. Regardless of what Poch does.

I don't think he can be held to blame for the flakiness of our players, given that reality.
I think it's a bit simplistic to say that because historically we have had technical, flaky bottlers that this continues to be the case. Because I bet you if we got Simeone in the performances with the current group of players we have would be different.

Pot 4 tossers.
M00850_l.jpg

I know that there are those who will start spiting feathers over this post but we still lack that winning mentality, i tried talking about this a few seasons back but got shouted down by some who think its a myth.

The truth is its not and we keep doing the same things at the end of the really BIG games, the team start getting nervous and stop playing and doing the things we are generally good at. I have no doubt that the same posters will reject this as they have before but until we win something as a team there are players who will still doubt themselves.

We deserved the win last night as we WERE the better team but once again we blew it.

I know that there are those who will start spiting feathers over this post but we still lack that winning meteorology, i tried talking about this a few seasons back but got shouted down by some who think its a myth.

The truth is its not and we keep doing the same things at the end of the really BIG games, the team start getting nervous and stop playing and doing the things we are generally good at. I have no doubt that the same posters will reject this as they have before but until we win something as a team there are players who will still doubt themselves.

We deserved the win last night as we WERE the better team but once again we blew it.

Inter are not very good. Someone claimed they signed lots of great players but I didn’t see many to be honest. They looked tired and had no creativity and we were in control

They scored a worldie and we crumbled badly

What did you make of the subs? The kane one for me was the one that cost us

Inter are not very good. Someone claimed they signed lots of great players but I didn’t see many to be honest. They looked tired and had no creativity and we were in control

Interesting; i actually thought it was the Lamela one that made me say "unless we score a second now, we've lost this" to my Son...:(

Interesting; i actually thought it was the Lamela one that made me say "unless we score a second now, we've lost this" to my Son...:(

Lamela made some difference but we were still well on top

They scored a worldie which may have been stopped if lamela had been on and imhe may have been in the right place

Kane going off meant the ball kept coming back and was just poor from Poch. We lost the out ball we had been using him for to save him for 6 minutes..

We were in control for most of the game ( first 15 minutes we looked a bit ropey) as you say Milan were not that much( i do like Brozovic though) and we were in much the better team in he second half, but threw it away in the last 5 minutes.

As for the subs i do not have a problem with them although i would have liked to see Moura brought on earlier as he run Milan ragged. I know a few fans thought we missed Kane ability for the corner but lets be honest we have conceded a lot of headed goals this season and Kane has been on the pitch for them. Taking a CF off ( who once again was a shadow of himself) and bringing a late defensive sub on is not a bad move on most occasions and made sense really.

All in all it was a big let down to lose like that but we panicked and its not the first time we have done that.

I know that there are those who will start spiting feathers over this post but we still lack that winning meteorology, i tried talking about this a few seasons back but got shouted down by some who think its a myth.

You may well be right...but

a) is that because of the current manager in your opinion?
b) is that because of the club owners not putting up more megamoney for the top TOP players to push us on to become winners?

We were in control for most of the game ( first 15 minutes we looked a bit ropey) as you say Milan were not that much( i do like Brozovic though) and we were in much the better team in he second half, but threw it away in the last 5 minutes.

As for the subs i do not have a problem with them although i would have liked to see Moura brought on earlier as he run Milan ragged. I know a few fans thought we missed Kane ability for the corner but lets be honest we have conceded a lot of headed goals this season and Kane has been on the pitch for them. Taking a CF off ( who once again was a shadow of himself) and bringing a late defensive sub on is not a bad move on most occasions and made sense really.

All in all it was a big let down to lose like that but we panicked and its not the first time we have done that.
See for me it wasn’t kane on for defending corners, it for the hold up play from clearances that was the issue

You may well be right...but

a) is that because of the current manager in your opinion?
b) is that because of the club owners not putting up more megamoney for the top TOP players to push us on to become winners?

I find that interesting because pool apparently brought top top players to make them winners, yet the only one who has won anything is Fabinho
And in their squad the only other who has won anything of note is milner (I may have missed someone)
Not sure how many players went for big money this window that had actually won anything other than Ronaldo

Last two CL games we lose 2-1 after being 1-0 up and seemingly in control. Both times it’s the ‘they scored from their only two shots’ narrative. There is a lack of learning how to handle these games, and the fact that for the 1st INter goal there was no pressure on the crosser or the scorer is awful.

I had a good old rant about this on here after the cup semi-final near the end of last season. I do think, at the end of the day, it has to come down to the manager. We’ve lost too many of these big games in the same way. I love Poch and all that he’s done, but I have felt for a while that a pragmatic manager (a la Rafa) would have had us in a final by now, and we may well have won at least one trophy.

I’m not saying I want Poch gone, before anyone jumps on me. But there are only so many times that you can say a team is learning.

Perhaps two things are at play. One, the actual players and the skills they have - which traditionally under Poch means a long bedding-in process. The other is the mental aspect that signing a QUALITY player can lift the squad (listen to Micky Hazard on The Spurs Show podcast about the lift a squad can get from a good new signing).

Whatever is at play with the club this season there doesn’t seem to be the same energy levels, concentration levels and seeming desire to win.

I can understand that the players are perhaps struggling when it comes to motivation. Put yourself in their shoes. You’ve not been quite good enough over the last three seasons, despite a brutal training regime. During the close season, those clubs that were already stronger than you strengthen further while your club doesn’t bring in anyone. So, you start the season feeling that, when it comes down to it, you’re unlikely to get across the line.

Add in post-WC tiredness, the stadium palaver, and possibly a manager who urged the club to be brave but ended the summer with the same players who haven’t quite good enough to date, and it’s not a happy receipe.

I had a good old rant about this on here after the cup semi-final near the end of last season. I do think, at the end of the day, it has to come down to the manager. We’ve lost too many of these big games in the same way. I love Poch and all that he’s done, but I have felt for a while that a pragmatic manager (a la Rafa) would have had us in a final by now, and we may well have won at least one trophy.

I’m not saying I want Poch gone, before anyone jumps on me. But there are only so many times that you can say a team is learning.

I can understand that the players are perhaps struggling when it comes to motivation. Put yourself in their shoes. You’ve not been quite good enough over the last three seasons, despite a brutal training regime. During the close season, those clubs that were already stronger than you strengthen further while your club doesn’t bring in anyone. So, you start the season feeling that, when it comes down to it, you’re unlikely to get across the line.

Add in post-WC tiredness, the stadium palaver, and possibly a manager who urged the club to be brave but ended the summer with the same players who haven’t quite good enough to date, and it’s not a happy receipe.

I have had fears about what you've outlined in the second paragraph for a while now..

I guess we’ll never know what is exactly screwing things up - but the point of coming so close so many times (I think the Leicester year could still be at play as to me that was THE chance we had to win the league). I can’t see how we catch up to Emirates Marketing Project and even the other clubs around us who appear to have stronger foundations in terms of quality squads and a transfer budget/policy that pretty consistently upgrades their squads).

Perhaps Poch’s tough training methods are questionable, but we are in an age where players are monitored to the nth degree in terms of injury/burn out, so if there is burn out it is psychological. All I know on a visceral level is that while supporting Spurs is one of the great joys of my life (blah blah early 80’s, blah Hoddle/Ardiles, blah jumpers for goalposts) it is also one of the most frustrating. I fear we COULD be back at a Nelsen/Saha/2-0 up against the Goons at half time/mind the gap moment. I hope that Poch can get us back on track after these miserable three games and we can smile again.

COYS!!

Back