• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Watford***

I do also wonder if Poch has to take a bit of the blame for these kinds of situations. He is so insistent on us dominating possession and playing out from the back at all times, but when we’re not playing well and the other team is getting in our faces (like Watford were after hitting the bar) maybe he has to be more pragmatic, and more willing for us to sit back and defend solidly and just clear the ball and play on the break.

Their free kick yesterday that led to the goal came from us trying and failing to play out from defence when their backs were up and they were getting in our faces. Maybe if we’d just cleared our lines and got organised behind the ball we could have ridden out their brief onslaught.

Hope we are “at it” from the first whistle. I am a bit worried about a hangover from OT and our players attitudes have to be spot on.

Said this before the game. Unfortunately, it proved to be prescient. Could see it happening due to our players mouthing off in the press about having learned our lessons from previous seasons and talking about winning the Premiership. We need to graft much much harder in these sorts of games. Our attitude seemed to me that we didn't need to worry too much about all the missed first half chances, the goal (and victory) would simply come along. Our second half performance was simply dire. It was almost like Man U against us on Monday - except in reverse.

I also said at HT that set pieces would be key. They took advantage of theirs, we simply weren't aggressive enough at either end of the field for the set pieces.

I have said it and said it, but Kane needs to stop tinkling around in midfield and actually get his ass in the box. Not sure what’s going on there but he is taking up positions that Eriksen normally sits in and as much of a revelation Moura has been, he is not our star striker.

Just saw a Jenas essay on bbc about he can’t remember when we last played brick and won - did he not watch the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game??

I wonder if the post mortem of the match will feel similar to Watford fans as we did against United with the amount of focus on what the losers should and shouldn’t be doing rather it an offering some praise to the winners. Of course conceding from set pieces is disappointing, but we scored from one the week before so it does happen to all teams.

I have said it and said it, but Kane needs to stop tinkling around in midfield and actually get his ass in the box. Not sure what’s going on there but he is taking up positions that Eriksen normally sits in and as much of a revelation Moura has been, he is not our star striker.
He seems to have decided to be less selfish and try to bring others in but it just doesn't work. We need the old selfish Kane back, the one who some castigate for only ever thinking about putting the ball in the back of the net.

after sleeping on it, and giving more thought to the last half hour, I'm still fudging seething

Me too. It’s proper fudged up my fortnight. Boils my tinkle that we were bullied out of it. We have enough tough lads that that should never, ever happen. Troy fudging Deeney. Christ on a bike.

Said this before the game. Unfortunately, it proved to be prescient. Could see it happening due to our players mouthing off in the press about having learned our lessons from previous seasons and talking about winning the Premiership. We need to graft much much harder in these sorts of games. Our attitude seemed to me that we didn't need to worry too much about all the missed first half chances, the goal (and victory) would simply come along. Our second half performance was simply dire. It was almost like Man U against us on Monday - except in reverse.

Agree. I'm never happy when i see Kane doing press interviews. He seems to have a habit of, whilst trying to seem outwardly positive and upbeat, actually just talks us up faarrr too much. We are simply not good enough to win the Premier league, Watford result aside. We have the quality to remain top 4 yes, but win the league?...we're simply not there yet.

So when Kane comes out after United talking us up and saying how these results show we can challenge etc etc, only to see Poch follow up with how disappointed he was with our performance, it just makes Kane look daft. Then low and behold, he has a crap game yesterday and the result goes against us, making his comments even more ridiculous and Poch's more justified.
I know he's the star man and media darling, so he has to face the questions, but it's not the first time i think his comments have seemed a little unrealistic to me. The guy needs to keep his focus on the game at the moment, cos he sure as hell isn't cutting it on the pitch of late.

Agree. I'm never happy when i see Kane doing press interviews. He seems to have a habit of, whilst trying to seem outwardly positive and upbeat, actually just talks us up faarrr too much. We are simply not good enough to win the Premier league, Watford result aside. We have the quality to remain top 4 yes, but win the league?...we're simply not there yet.

So when Kane comes out after United talking us up and saying how these results show we can challenge etc etc, only to see Poch follow up with how disappointed he was with our performance, it just makes Kane look daft. Then low and behold, he has a crap game yesterday and the result goes against us, making his comments even more ridiculous and Poch's more justified.
I know he's the star man and media darling, so he has to face the questions, but it's not the first time i think his comments have seemed a little unrealistic to me. The guy needs to keep his focus on the game at the moment, cos he sure as hell isn't cutting it on the pitch of late.

I don’t see anything wrong with what Kane had said. If he doesn’t, people accuse us of lacking ambition.

If we aren’t capable of challenging for the league right now, Poch and Levy have questions to answer. Poch bleated on about being brave at the end of the season which everyone took to mean “start spending some money on top players”. He then rowed back on that saying that we were brave by signing nobody. If we did that and aren’t in a position to challenge for major honours, him and Levy have failed the current group of players.

we have the players capable of challenging City, but they need to be on it every game, we can't afford brick shows like yesterday

Like you, I feel frustrated by the performance and result. I don’t think we are awful or feel the meltdown, as I’m sure you don’t either, BUT Spurs need to be better. We had a great team starting yesterday, players that are on their day as good as any in their respective position in the league. And yet, we were terrible against a side who themselves weren’t even that great.

If we defend in our next match, against Liverpool, as we did yesterday, then I fear that it will lead to a disgraceful result that is more reminiscent of the Sherwood era than anything from this one.

For people who find stats interesting, I compared yesterday's outfield players' pass completion %s with their averages for this season and last season:

upload_2018-9-3_13-14-19.png

Pretty woeful - 8 out of 10 players had a worse % than their averages for this and last season.

Seemed to reinforce to me what I felt when watching the game - that it wasn't the tempo of our passing that was the issue, it was the quality.

*For Moura I used the last season he played close to a full season, for PSG.

COME ON! Did people expect anything different? we do this, its in our DNA. Don't let spurs suck you in again and make you think we will ever achieve anything. I've come to accept what we are.

For people who find stats interesting, I compared yesterday's outfield players' pass completion %s with their averages for this season and last season:

View attachment 4955

Pretty woeful - 8 out of 10 players had a worse % than their averages for this and last season.

Seemed to reinforce to me what I felt when watching the game - that it wasn't the tempo of our passing that was the issue, it was the quality.

*For Moura I used the last season he played close to a full season, for PSG.

Very good post, it's what my eyes were telling me during the game. Even the passes that were completed, so many times it was slightly behind the player, or too far infront for easy control. Just a general sloppiness to our play, even when we were in charge of the game for the first half. No wonder Poch said we were playing like it was a friendly game at times.

I can definitely see Poch giving more game time to a couple of youngsters (definitely Winks) as well as starting more games with Lamela, Son and Wanyama. The standard of our play needs to improve and hungry players will drive up the standards imo.

Bad day at the office, no more than that really. Not to mention we are slow starters. I actually expected us to drop points to Fulham so to have 9 points given we have played 3 away games is more than I would have expected. Son is on his way home and Lamela will be fit again next year so plenty of reasons to be positive.

It really was, it was ( imo and the lads around me) one of our worst performances for a while. As soon as we saw the team without a CM player who can defend we thought it would be a struggle. However we did not expect such a poor game from a lot of our players and it was a poor game for us.

No one really stood out ( thought Moura had a decent game) and Trippier was ok. As for the rest well they were all below what they can and have done over many games, i hope we never see Dembélé as the main CM holder again it was a mistake by Poch ( he does not make that many) to leave Dembélé in there on his own. And someone at the club has to really try to find out why Kane is looking so fudged.

Me too. It’s proper fudged up my fortnight. Boils my tinkle that we were bullied out of it. We have enough tough lads that that should never, ever happen. Troy fudging Deeney. Christ on a bike.
Troy Deeney, Cathcart and Holebas are the players that undid us. Drink that in.

Nope. Trying to share the pain of this awful result as I reacquaint myself with the Dull
Ache™️ of supporting this club.

Can’t remember feeling this sort of pain since the AVB or Harry days. Still utterly annoyed and frustrated today. fudge you Poch, I thought you were different...

Can’t remember feeling this sort of pain since the AVB or Harry days. Still utterly annoyed and frustrated today. fudge you Poch, I thought you were different...
They always draw us back in with the darned hope. And why does Poch find it so hard to make subs before 70-ish minutes most games?

Back