• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Completely disagree, it’s a revionist view of his first season alongside Sandro and an incorrect apportioning of blame on him of his 2nd season due to a terrible attacking side with zero movement and options. Not saying his 2nd season was good by the way, but that Poch improving our attacking options helped Moussa, not necessarily improving Moussa directly.

He was also basically out in the cold in Pochs first season as well, so didn’t “get better real quick” either!

How can it be 'revisionist' when I said it at the time that he was brick? Look up what revisionist means mate. I didn't change my mind on him, back then. I said he was playing badly.

Dembele confuses the feck out of me!
Dreadful today but he’s been good ‘I thought’ in recent games o_O
Pochettino needs to sort this bloke out once and for all!

Well it’s not that confusing is it? He had a below average game today, it happens but has been good in every other performance this season. There were several poor and sloppy performances, why it’s Dembele who’s getting scrutinised I have no idea....

Well it’s not that confusing is it? He had a below average game today, it happens but has been good in every other performance this season. There were several poor and sloppy performances, why it’s Dembele who’s getting scrutinised I have no idea....

The reason for the scrutiny maybe is the China link?

The reason for the scrutiny maybe is the China link?
Think the Italian link was the more likely one. But the point being loads of posters had written off Dembele, then done a U turn and admitted he still has something to offer. Now a collective poor display and his thread being bumped and singled out, we were sloppy all over the pitch and he didn’t particularly stick out to me as having a worse game than others....

Think the Italian link was the more likely one. But the point being loads of posters had written off Dembele, then done a U turn and admitted he still has something to offer. Now a collective poor display and his thread being bumped and singled out, we were sloppy all over the pitch and he didn’t particularly stick out to me as having a worse game than others....
Looked lonely on his own in the midfield

Ah yes, the enigma of Dembele's inconsistency.

It seems almost like his particular set of skills and weaknesses means that he's more suitable for some game conditions than others.

1. When opponents defend deep and our front players aren't producing individual moments of magic I think what is needed is passing tempo. It's almost like Dembele taking 3-4 touches, a shoulder to shoulder and a spin slows down our passing tempo making easier for opponents to get into the right positions.

2. When teams press us high we can either go long or try to play our way through. Playing through press relies on exploiting the space opponents leave behind when pressing, that relies on getting the ball forward quickly before they can get back. It's almost like Dembele taking 3-4 touches, a shoulder to shoulder and a spin gives opponents the time they need to get back or regroup their high press to continue pressing.

He pretty much does the same thing regardless of game conditions, he defends well and when receiving a pass he shields it and does a little dance, then plays a fairly simple pass. Rightly getting a lot of praise, he does it wonderfully. But when we need passing tempo it's not particularly effective, and we struggle unless other players brings the magic.

Trouble is I don’t think Dier is neither use nor ornament imho

So I think we need Winks maybe now to start to help Dembele and when Wanyama is fit, play him with him and or Winksy.

Or play Dier with dembele like we did at United

Or Dier with winksy

Or Wanyama with Dier

Or winksy with Wanyama

We have options when their fit

Playing 1 centre midfielder backfired after an hour today

Looked lonely on his own in the midfield

Yes, I agree with that. If we're going to play only with one proper CM, would be better off being someone who's a bit more mobile - Dier's a big guy but still more mobile than Dembele.

That said, it was just Dembele's fault we lost today, even though he did lose his man for the second. Kane put in the same anonymous performance as has become typical since his injury, Davies was poor, the team kind of sauntered through the first half without looking like we want to kill them, Dele looked like he wanted to give one of his flick-ey tpye performances rather than hurting them.....bad day at the office unfortunately. Shame we need to wait 2 weeks til the next game

It is simple. He should only be an impact player off the bench if we need to be obdurate or drive in the last 20-25 minutes. I think Poch should’ve started Dier over him today BUT there must be a reason.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
There must be. And whatever it is cannot be good. It’s either that Poch got it wrong or that we don’t have the players to fill in when needed.

It is simple. He should only be an impact player off the bench if we need to be obdurate or drive in the last 20-25 minutes. I think Poch should’ve started Dier over him today BUT there must be a reason.

I got playing one holder against Watford as their not a creative side, but that player should be one whose primary role is the defensive side which isn’t Dembele strength

Sorry mate but Dier provides neither obduration nor drive and I like the guy. Winks alongside Dembele would have been enough imho.

Sorry Steff misread your post. But the point remains that Dier, for me is not good enough to hold on his own and we would have been overrun far sooner.

Back