• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

It's different from yesteryears, when the captain had a lot more of man management and decision making on the pitch

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
A really good captain would make decisions on the pitch. Lloris does not and cannot from the back.

ON the pitch, a key role for the captain is to talk to the referee. Get him onside, talk him out of booking a teammate, talk him into giving you a penalty etc. Kane is very good at this. Obviously Lloris cannot do this from the back.

OFF the pitch, a key role for the captain is to be the link to the manager, e.g. "Gaffer the lads aren't really happy about XYZ so they were wondering if we can ABC..." and discussing general tactics, even who is performing, who deserves a chance, where issues lie... it is a huge role off the pitch.

I also read a few years ago about the massive role a captain has in securing the right numbers of tickets for friends and family of teammates, negotiating bonus payments for finishing high in the league etc.

A really good captain would make decisions on the pitch. Lloris does not and cannot from the back.

ON the pitch, a key role for the captain is to talk to the referee. Get him onside, talk him out of booking a teammate, talk him into giving you a penalty etc. Kane is very good at this. Obviously Lloris cannot do this from the back.

All senior/any smart player does that. I always make a point of buttering up the ref from the minute he pulls up in the car park. If I don't know how his children are getting on at school and how his mum's tinnitus is by the time the match kicks off, I'm failing as a senior player.

I also read a few years ago about the massive role a captain has in securing the right numbers of tickets for friends and family of teammates, negotiating bonus payments for finishing high in the league etc.

That was the Secret Footballer, I remember the article.

Times have changed. I started working worshipping the heroic leader who barked orders and seemed to know and get involved with everything. These days leaders are supposed to be a sort of glue that holds things together without telling. I receive training that I have to ask questions and let staff arrive at the decision themselves for maximum buy in.

The main reason for this is the amount of new popular psychological based management theories and tools. At work there are now secret polls to judge the engagement of employees. I'd imagine they would have similar in football management especially at top clubs. Anything similar tends to undermine the leader but strengthen management and control overall.

Can't see which is better or best, it really depends on many things. But I miss the good old days of the heroic football captain. I also don't think we will see another Steve Jobs.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

If your kid is done for drink driving, do you:
A) Disown them?
B) Write them out of your will?
C) Kick them out the house?
D) Cancel badminton on Tuesdays.
E) Ask them if they realise what they have done is wrong, ask if there is a deeper problem, teach them why it is not acceptable, support them, and let the courts serve their punishment?

Depends....

If it is my non-spurs-supporting son, I'd go A to D. (although D is more of a self-punishment)
If it is my spurs-supporting daughter, I'd say E, and also buy a new spurs-kit of her choice as moral support in a tough time.

Reactions: DTA
Back