• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

I think this season will be like last season -- he'll make some mistakes, but overall will be a good defender. I'm looking for him to really push on after this season, another year playing alongside Vert and Toby and then I think he'll be ready to shine.

Unless Alderwiereld signs a new deal i think Sanchez will be prefered whenever we play a back 4 tbh

Unless his form drops off a cliff

He will be used a lot, he has the pace and ability to become one of the best and i do not see Poch leaving him out.

I don't think he made any mistakes yesterday.... it was a poorly coordinated defence generally and although sanchez was central to it, sometimes i wonder if our all too quiet loris needs to shoulder some responsibility.
with an ageing verts and outgoing toby, he will need to take lead soon.

I've not seen anyone else mention it but I thought Mitrokic tripped Sanchez just before their goal.

Yeah, I thought so too. It also looked like Mitrovic got the tiniest of touches on the ball before it went to Sessegnon (in which case Sessegnon would be offside), but I might have been imagining things.

Played really well for the first hour v Watford.

BUT

He needs to learn that he is not as strong as he thinks he is. When he got muscled by Deeney, he could have avoided that situation by not trying to get tight and barge him. Instead, Deeney won and Toby hit our bar with a defensive header. This moment changed the whole game imo, fired Watford up, they scored soon after and we lost.

Of course, I'm not putting the defeat on Sanchez. But it's not the first time I've seen him try and muscle a big forward and lose the battle, leading to a dangerous situation. He just isn't as strong as the likes of Rondon and Deeney. This isn't pussified Dutch football, he needs to defend a bit smarter against these types of opponents. No good having a flawless first hour and then undo it by being dumb. He looks best when he isn't trying too hard and just keeps it simple, imo.

Played really well for the first hour v Watford.

BUT

He needs to learn that he is not as strong as he thinks he is. When he got muscled by Deeney, he could have avoided that situation by not trying to get tight and barge him. Instead, Deeney won and Toby hit our bar with a defensive header. This moment changed the whole game imo, fired Watford up, they scored soon after and we lost.

Of course, I'm not putting the defeat on Sanchez. But it's not the first time I've seen him try and muscle a big forward and lose the battle, leading to a dangerous situation. He just isn't as strong as the likes of Rondon and Deeney. This isn't pussified Dutch football, he needs to defend a bit smarter against these types of opponents. No good having a flawless first hour and then undo it by being dumb. He looks best when he isn't trying too hard and just keeps it simple, imo.

I get what you are saying but he has just turned 22 and he is still learning how to play in a much harder Lge ( 30 odd games is not a lot). As for Deeney he is a big unit and will out strength most defenders.

I get what you are saying but he has just turned 22 and he is still learning how to play in a much harder Lge ( 30 odd games is not a lot). As for Deeney he is a big unit and will out strength most defenders.

I agree, I'm not laying into him as I think he was excellent for large parts of the game. But I have seen him do this before (try to muscle an opponent who is just too strong for him) and I think he needs to learn that he can't muscle everybody he plays, sometimes he will need to get less tight and be a bit more conservative.

I agree, I'm not laying into him as I think he was excellent for large parts of the game. But I have seen him do this before (try to muscle an opponent who is just too strong for him) and I think he needs to learn that he can't muscle everybody he plays, sometimes he will need to get less tight and be a bit more conservative.

Do not disagree, he will learn and IF that is the biggest problem he has in his game then he will be a massive player once he sorts it out.

Your post above is absolutely spot on. Sanchez handled Deeney really well for an hour. Had him in his back pocket. Not through strength but through intelligence and a bit of guile. Then he made a terrible decision like you say and it turned the whole game. That’s the mistake of a youngster sadly.

The boy can be a beast but his performances and decision making have been inconsistent since he got here.

Back