• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara
Any thoughts on their goal being offside?

Was hard to tell from the replay whether the ball went backwards, but if not, surely their forward was ahead of the defenders?

Any thoughts on their goal being offside?

Was hard to tell from the replay whether the ball went backwards, but if not, surely their forward was ahead of the defenders?

Yes, if mitrovoc touched the initial cross then the guy that put it back to him was offside at that point.

It worked well for 45 mins though! But a good thing to be dynamic in modern football and have a few strategies and formations to choose between. :)

I dunno, with the disparity in ability being so great the ambition should be to have the opposition dead and buried by half time rather than a narrow one goal lead from a moment of personal brilliance.

I dunno, with the disparity in ability being so great the ambition should be to have the opposition dead and buried by half time rather than a narrow one goal lead from a moment of personal brilliance.

We used to do that, but if you'll remember, it had its downsides.

Back in 2010-2012, during Harry's tenure. We used to come out of the blocks like a bunch of ravenous wolves - the first fifteen to twenty minutes in most of our games were incomparably thrilling to watch, because we'd go for it at 110 mph, every time. Bale and Lennon burning down the wings, Van Der Vaart and Modric leaving flailing midfielders for dead, Crouch showing up like a willowy battering ram to knock defenders around and make them wish they'd learnt rock-climbing as kids.

Trouble was, we ran out of gas equally quickly - and second halves usually became goal-line sieges as the opposition threw everything at us, knowing that we'd be tired late on. Any deficits they had going into half-time, they knew they could reverse - while, for us, there was always a dread as the second half began and the players started looking more and more burnt out. And we usually conceded a lot as a result.

I fully take your point about getting games buried early so we can switch off and refocus. But there are downsides to that approach - while the one we have now is actually working splendidly for us. I believe we have a really good record in terms of winning games once we're ahead - even if we only have a one-goal lead, and even if it gets cancelled out later, we usually end up winning anyway because we can score late on while the opposition tire.

I think what we have now works really well for us. Taking that next step up should be the aim, yes, but a more long-term one.

We used to do that, but if you'll remember, it had its downsides.

Back in 2010-2012, during Harry's tenure. We used to come out of the blocks like a bunch of ravenous wolves - the first fifteen to twenty minutes in most of our games were incomparably thrilling to watch, because we'd go for it at 110 mph, every time. Bale and Lennon burning down the wings, Van Der Vaart and Modric leaving flailing midfielders for dead, Crouch showing up like a willowy battering ram to knock defenders around and make them wish they'd learnt rock-climbing as kids.

Trouble was, we ran out of gas equally quickly - and second halves usually became goal-line sieges as the opposition threw everything at us, knowing that we'd be tired late on. Any deficits they had going into half-time, they knew they could reverse - while, for us, there was always a dread as the second half began and the players started looking more and more burnt out. And we usually conceded a lot as a result.

I fully take your point about getting games buried early so we can switch off and refocus. But there are downsides to that approach - while the one we have now is actually working splendidly for us. I believe we have a really good record in terms of winning games once we're ahead - even if we only have a one-goal lead, and even if it gets cancelled out later, we usually end up winning anyway because we can score late on while the opposition tire.

I think what we have now works really well for us. Taking that next step up should be the aim, yes, but a more long-term one.

I agree it’s a matter of balance, and it’s not for all games, but when it’s the likes of Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Fulham it doesn’t need to be 100mph, it was poor passing and finishing that kept them in it.

I agree it’s a matter of balance, and it’s not for all games, but when it’s the likes of Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Fulham it doesn’t need to be 100mph, it was poor passing and finishing that kept them in it.

Fully agreed. The finishing, we really do need to improve upon - but I think that will take care of itself in time, I think. We're still rusty, and Lucas is still a bit too eager to impress - look at his reaction after his goal, haring around chasing everything down like a madman.

Lucas will be a bit more composed once he feels he's proven himself in our shirt and doesn't need to force everything. And the team will get less rusty as the season progresses.

If we're still throwing chances away in December, I'll be a lot more worried.

Back