• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

A mixed game today, lots of good moments when he was in position, but a few times when they got behind him and we were wide open, with Dier flapping at someone's shirt. He needs to be more defensive when we only have 2 centre backs, he can't go charging up the pitch into the press unless the whole team are with him

Thought he played pretty well.

I liked his comments after the game as well. Dier is sort of limited as a player in my view but he seems a great character and someone you’d have around all day long.

Dier is pretty versatile as a player, actually. He can play some bloody accurate long passes at times, he can occasionally put in great crosses, and he wasn't a bad right-back when he did play there.

But his considerable struggles when playing at center back just confuse me. He's like Toby, but without Toby's excellence at his primary job of being a CB. And while Dier is a *good* defensive midfielder...I still think that, deep down, he's so ideally suited to replacing Toby given his talents that it's a waste to play him at DM.

And yet, the guy just cannot play in a back-line without making a lot of errors and making us look a lot shakier as a result. It's amusing, but also frustrating.

Either way, we're lucky to have him as is - he's a good player, who gets on with his job, hates Chelsea and is basically Dele's hype man. Truly multifunctional chap. :p But there's a world-class center back lurking in him somewhere, if only we could find it.

Dier is pretty versatile as a player, actually. He can play some bloody accurate long passes at times, he can occasionally put in great crosses, and he wasn't a bad right-back when he did play there.

But his considerable struggles when playing at center back just confuse me. He's like Toby, but without Toby's excellence at his primary job of being a CB. And while Dier is a *good* defensive midfielder...I still think that, deep down, he's so ideally suited to replacing Toby given his talents that it's a waste to play him at DM.

And yet, the guy just cannot play in a back-line without making a lot of errors and making us look a lot shakier as a result. It's amusing, but also frustrating.

Either way, we're lucky to have him as is - he's a good player, who gets on with his job, hates Chelsea and is basically Dele's hype man. Truly multifunctional chap. :p But there's a world-class center back lurking in him somewhere, if only we could find it.
Dier's inner world class CB can only come out with more minutes at CB. It's a tough, technical position and for many takes a long time.

Dier's inner world class CB can only come out with more minutes at CB. It's a tough, technical position and for many takes a long time.

That is a very good point, he has to play several positions for us and to keep changing does not always help. It reminds me of both Mabbut and Perryman, it was only once they settled into the one position they had their best seasons for us.

Fair. But can we afford to give him those minutes, given his propensity for errors in that particular position? It's a difficult situation.

Where do you think Dier himself wants to play? He was signed as a CB wasn't he and there was talk when he moved into midfield that CB would end up being his long term position but I wonder if he might get lost a bit and end up as one of those versatile players who never quite excels anywhere but can always be trusted upon to do a good job.

I’d argue he excels as a defensive mid
I’ve not seen a better one for the system we play currently out there

Our system needs a flexible DM who can drop into defence but also start attacks

Pretty much all the ones in this league can do one well but not the other

You have chasers like Kante who win and pass
You had the likes of carrick who intercepted and passed brilliantly
Then you have players like Fernandinho who is a very good player but IMO has a weakness defensively in comparison to Dier but is better with the attacking element

It’s the same for me with the Hugo debate... there are some better keepers out there but not necessarily for how we play. De Gea would die on his arse in our team as he never leaves his six yard box. Ederson though would potentially be an improvement

Where do you think Dier himself wants to play? He was signed as a CB wasn't he and there was talk when he moved into midfield that CB would end up being his long term position but I wonder if he might get lost a bit and end up as one of those versatile players who never quite excels anywhere but can always be trusted upon to do a good job.

Poch has gone on record on the past saying that he thought Dier was a Center back who can play in midfield. But Dier himelf now things of himself as a Defensive midfielder who can play center back when needed. Since those comments Dier has played midfield and only CB as cover for injuries or in the back three when we first trialed it before Sanchez.

His main flaw is his lack of concentration. The sloppy passes, leaving players unmarked behind him. Until he can stay switched on for the full 90 minutes I wouldn't have him anywhere near a CB spot.

I think he has occasionally been tagged as at fault when he was partially at best. I know I always bang on about it, but the goal at Old Trafford last season was, for me,primarily Toby's fudge up yet Dier carried the full can.

I think he has occasionally been tagged as at fault when he was partially at best. I know I always bang on about it, but the goal at Old Trafford last season was, for me,primarily Toby's fudge up yet Dier carried the full can.
Exactly
He is a player that is always in the thick of it - so every mistake and every success we make as a team is likely to have a significant influence from Dier.

That's what a team is all about

He is a leader. And our team over the years has lacked someone who will make others accountable. Just for that he is good in the team. His range of passing is good, and he is a danger in the box.

Back