• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Our knockouts in Portugal ?. Not sure I'm up for that !

not sure if you was joking. Its just stating that Porto used their old ground for group games and their new ground for the knockout stages. So just like we may end up doing. So there is precedent for using two stadiums in UEFA competition.

But I would be down with having games in Portugal :)

What could that be though? Lots of big concrete stairwells that would have been fundamental to the design from day one? There's no rocket science to them

And obviously that's not the issue. My guess is something involving electronics. In a structure this big there will be thousands of fire detectors. The whole place is supposedly covered by sprinklers, a first in England or Europe. Being state of the art we'll surely have gone for electronic locks on doors. Those are all massive and complex systems.

One poster on SSC says he's heard it was the fire detection and suppression systems.

What could that be though? Lots of big concrete stairwells that would have been fundamental to the design from day one? There's no rocket science to them

Quite.

some major issues around the fire and evacuation systems

Fire systems are what alarms, sprinklers (prob not needed in a concrete stadium), and how people are evacuated. Unless someone designed or built something in the wrong place, it seems like a way to excuse things not being ready. When parts of the stadium don't have glass in and stairways are unfinished I'd say there's your safety concerns. Maybe they could have been finished for the test event, but it was looking extremely tight.

Hertyid on SC:

Last weekend I was with club officials being taken around the stadium, I know these people and trust them. They were very much of the opinion the stadium would be ready. End of last week it became clear there were some major issues around the fire and evacuation systems. Mace came to Levy yesterday and basically said “we got a problem”. It then became clear it was impossible to hold the test events which meant we couldn’t be ready in time for Liverpool. All thee people saying “you could always tell by looking at the stadium it woild never be finished” are spouting rubbish I’m afraid. Everything else is on time and the stadium would have been complete. There will be no cost to the club, Mace bear responsibility and there are LADs in place, although they will likely try and push down to a subcontractor.
Kind of what I was thinking yesterday tbh, which is why I asked what exactly “safety systems” meant. To me it’s not something you can really see on the latest pictures of the stadium is it?

They're two separate issues though tbf, I wouldnt say I particularly enjoy being teased by other fans but my disappointment from the window had zilch to do with that. Think theres more of an over reaction to things on Twitter than anywhere else, on forums like this and even in 'real life' you find more measured emotions (in general)....

I agree with that. It’s just I saw the same ‘we’re a laughing stock, only Spurs would do this’ type stuff at the closure of the transfer window. Admittedly mostly on Twitter, where it continues to amaze me how grown men can’t control their emotions of think of the bigger picture.

Totally understand that a lot of people can have their problems with a lack of signings that will be unrelated to rival mickey taking though. Fair point.

Quite.

some major issues around the fire and evacuation systems

Fire systems are what alarms, sprinklers (prob not needed in a concrete stadium), and how people are evacuated. Unless someone designed or built something in the wrong place, it seems like a way to excuse things not being ready. When parts of the stadium don't have glass in and stairways are unfinished I'd say there's your safety concerns. Maybe they could have been finished for the test event, but it was looking extremely tight.

And how those systems talk to each other and additionally most modern systems are mapped to the surroundings which might be difficult given an unfinished build.

If you look at the areas outside the build, the walkways to the ground etc you can see they are nowhere near finished, alot of paths not laid etc, its the same as when you have snow, the stadium might be ok but is it safe to be around the ground?

I agree with that. It’s just I saw the same ‘we’re a laughing stock, only Spurs would do this’ type stuff at the closure of the transfer window. Admittedly mostly on Twitter, where it continues to amaze me how grown men can’t control their emotions of think of the bigger picture.

Totally understand that a lot of people can have their problems with a lack of signings that will be unrelated to rival mickey taking though. Fair point.
To many Twitter is a free shot, you can vent your instant anger and feel so much better for the response it provokes. It's a game, a laugh, a theatre, a groaning board, somewhere you can get it off your chest and move on.

In other words you can safely ignore it.

Hertyid on SC:

Last weekend I was with club officials being taken around the stadium, I know these people and trust them. They were very much of the opinion the stadium would be ready. End of last week it became clear there were some major issues around the fire and evacuation systems. Mace came to Levy yesterday and basically said “we got a problem”. It then became clear it was impossible to hold the test events which meant we couldn’t be ready in time for Liverpool. All thee people saying “you could always tell by looking at the stadium it woild never be finished” are spouting rubbish I’m afraid. Everything else is on time and the stadium would have been complete. There will be no cost to the club, Mace bear responsibility and there are LADs in place, although they will likely try and push down to a subcontractor.

Levy already said MACE wouldn't work to a fixed price/schedule as there was too much uncertainty in the build.

And how those systems talk to each other and additionally most modern systems are mapped to the surroundings which might be difficult given an unfinished build.

If you look at the areas outside the build, the walkways to the ground etc you can see they are nowhere near finished, alot of paths not laid etc, its the same as when you have snow, the stadium might be ok but is it safe to be around the ground?

In short, an unfinished stadium is not a safe stadium. If key things like walkways, stairs wells (not to mention windows!) are not finished then a safety officer won't be giving it the green light. Maybe you could have closed off parts of the concourse where the glass was still to be installed, but with the amount of little things to complete, it must have been looking too much of a stretch.

For fans, I think it will be much better going into a stadium that isn't a half cordoned off building site. We can have a proper arrival. It will still have things unfinished but not to the same extent. Frustrating, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't so bad.

Lucky to have Wembley as an option. Imagine if Foolham had bought it, and they were competing with Levy on NFL.... To be able to seamlessly pick up at an 80k stadium a few miles away (that we know) is very tidy. And to not have to play the whole season there, even more so!

Apolgies if touched on in last few pages (not read them all), but if date the City match is tight for the opening, I wonder if (providing we are at home on CL Match Day 4) the first match at the new ground could be a CL match on 6th or 7th November
Or would a night match as the opener be too much of a nightmare?

Can you imagine opening the ground v Barca or even Real again
They would have to bend the rules a bit but that is nothing new for UEFA.

A CL match with flashy lights and lasers and all that would be a fitting opening.

Could be something similar to what happened here with a major shopping mall. Same tight deadline, but a couple of weeks before the grand opening, it was discovered that the sprinkler system was wrongly installed. It Could not cover the area it should. They had to re-install the whole lot with piping and all. Took several weeks.

Could be something similar to what happened here with a major shopping mall. Same tight deadline, but a couple of weeks before the grand opening, it was discovered that the sprinkler system was wrongly installed. It Could not cover the area it should. They had to re-install the whole lot with piping and all. Took several weeks.
It’s a shame they hadn’t posted pics of the build on here, a few of our posters could have spotted that issue long before the grand opening. ;)

The fans that want a refund, should get a refund. The club's communication throughout all this was desperately poor (maybe even outright lying, I don't know), and this should be a lesson that you can't push your cash-cow 'customers' (in Spurs corporate-speak) too far, even if they're supporters who get suckered in every year and always will.

But, at the same time, there's nothing that can be done about this, and nothing that *should* be done. It's a safety issue. That trumps every other consideration, unless we as a club want to accept the horrendous possibility of someone getting injured or worse on the opening day, or at some point down the line.

And it's not just about the big issue with the fire suppression/sprinkler systems or whatever. As most on here have mentioned, the place still looks like a building site, with rebar jutting out of the ground everywhere, unfinished edges, piles of planks and building material everywhere, yawning gaps without laminated glass (basically open falls), bolts sticking out of the concrete (not flush with the ground), and so on. Every one of those can hurt someone, especially someone drunk or otherwise physically restricted.

And football supporters, being football supporters, will wander in and around the place on matchday regardless of red tape or fenced-off areas - it's the nature of the crowd. Worse when you have inquisitive kids who might be left alone near taped-off areas and wander through. These might be remote possibilities, but when you're thinking about safety, scenario mapping has to be done for all of this.

The club has f*cked up with its communication surrounding this. But that doesn't change the fact that people's lives are more important than whatever embarassment the club suffers from this, and always will be. So, let's just cut the club some slack and get on with it. It'll be done.

Will the City game be rearranged, because wembley is booked for NFL? If so we'd kick off at NWHL with chelsea a month later. Would be quite an opener after the battles with them over the last few years.

Last edited:
The fans that want a refund, should get a refund. The club's communication throughout all this was desperately poor (maybe even outright lying, I don't know), and this should be a lesson that you can't push your cash-cow 'customers' (in Spurs corporate-speak) too far, even if they're supporters who get suckered in every year and always will.

But, at the same time, there's nothing that can be done about this, and nothing that *should* be done. It's a safety issue. That trumps every other consideration, unless we as a club want to accept the horrendous possibility of someone getting injured or worse on the opening day, or at some point down the line.

And it's not just about the big issue with the fire suppression/sprinkler systems or whatever. As most on here have mentioned, the place still looks like a building site, with rebar jutting out of the ground everywhere, unfinished edges, piles of planks and building material everywhere, yawning gaps without laminated glass (basically open falls), bolts sticking out of the concrete (not flush with the ground), and so on. Every one of those can hurt someone, especially someone drunk or otherwise physically restricted.

And football supporters, being football supporters, will wander in and around the place on matchday regardless of red tape or fenced-off areas - it's the nature of the crowd. Worse when you have inquisitive kids who might be left alone near taped-off areas and wander through. These might be remote possibilities, but when you're thinking about safety, scenario mapping has to be done for all of this.

The club has f*cked up with its communication surrounding this. But that doesn't change the fact that people's lives are more important than whatever embarassment the club suffers from this, and always will be. So, let's just cut the club some slack and get on with it. It'll be done.
What's been poor? You can't say anything if there is nothing to say. And those who want, can get a refund, as said in the clubs statement. You say the clubs communication has been poor, yet it seems that you haven't actually read what they have published.

When we were younger, going to Wembley was privilege and pilgrimage.....ironically we're now sick of it :)

What are they bashing Levy for?
ST's will be refunded
The stadium will be 400% safe
And still 400% fantastic.

A couple of months extra is nothing considering I'll be seeing out the rest of my life there.

My only regret about this stadium is that we apparently didn't include the possibility of making it bigger in the deisgn, is all - I would have liked to see it expanded at some point to 67,500-ish, if the demand was there. One of the issues we had with WHL was our inability to significantly expand it beyond 36,000, so it would have been nice to avoid having to worry about hitting a natural limit as other teams consider upping their stadiums to beyond 60,000 in the future. Other than that, it will be perfect.

What's been poor? You can't say anything if there is nothing to say. And those who want, can get a refund, as said in the clubs statement. You say the clubs communication has been poor, yet it seems that you haven't actually read what they have published.

The likelihood that the club knew about this for a while, even as people were asking about details for the test events and being met with increasing silence? The fact that fans first found out about this (and the board meeting about this) via a leak from the Mirror/Sun before the club said anything? The fact that fans calling into the ticket office were apparently told that the considerably more expensive ticket bought via an interactive map of the new stadium 'only covered 19 home games - it doesn't say where those games will be'? The fact that the club spent half its rushed-out opening statement apologizing to the motherf*cking NFL instead of its own damn fans, and said nothing about ticketing details until 24 hours later?

Christ, It's okay to say that they f*cked up here, mate - I'm sure the club won't think any less of you as a supporter (or, as they see it, a customer) for doing so.

Back