• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

This, and during those games he showed he is good at holding up the ball, has great strength, works hard. The only thing he was not able to do is score on a regular basis, i feel sorry for him because anyone who steps in to cover Kane is going to be judged harshly because Kane is a one off who scores so many goals.

Wasn't there a bit more to it though? I recall something about Poch not being happy with his effort in training - which we know is the one criticism you don't want to be getting from Poch.
Although I can understand why a player might drop off a bit if he knows his chances are going to be limited).

Wasn't there a bit more to it though? I recall something about Poch not being happy with his effort in training - which we know is the one criticism you don't want to be getting from Poch.
Although I can understand why a player might drop off a bit if he knows his chances are going to be limited).

You may be right, i have not heard that i must admit. You are right about Poch not taking any messing about ( Walker, Toby etc ) so there may be have been a problem.

No striker in the world would score 20+ goals playing week in week out and then reproduce that form coming off the bench as a second fiddle. Even Kane would not be able to replicate the same.

Thats why the like of Bony, Batsyuai, Janssen etc all look like they fail, said it before, say it again, sign a certain player who plays in week in week out and either play him in a role he hasnt excelled at or expect mirracles off the bench and you wont get it.

I don't think thats been confirmed by the club has it, just a rumour on the internet?

You may be right, i have not heard that i must admit. You are right about Poch not taking any messing about ( Walker, Toby etc ) so there may be have been a problem.
I don't think thats been confirmed by the club has it, just a rumour on the internet?

Found this :
Vincent Janssen must prove worth on Spurs training ground, says Pochettino

Admittedly that's just one point in time, but it does confirm that Poch was not happy with his level of effort.

I will be shot down for this but I think with this window we need to try as a club to get this bloke involved. Have a nagging feeling on Kane and our reliance on him which has been the same for the last 3 seasons and we have dealt with all Kane eventualities like Injuries etc, but one thing we have never had to account for is a Kane drought. Do we have a plan B if there is no movement in this window? I don't think we do personally and the more I think about it the more I think the Kane reliance is our biggest hole.

I will be shot down for this but I think with this window we need to try as a club to get this bloke involved. Have a nagging feeling on Kane and our reliance on him which has been the same for the last 3 seasons and we have dealt with all Kane eventualities like Injuries etc, but one thing we have never had to account for is a Kane drought. Do we have a plan B if there is no movement in this window? I don't think we do personally and the more I think about it the more I think the Kane reliance is our biggest hole.
I wouldn’t be against it, rather offload Llorente personally. But judging by Pochs comments and fact he wasn’t on tour, ship has definitely sailed on that one....

That would work for me as well, i still think there is a player in Janssen but i do not see it happening.

Get rid for whatever we can get, I'd rather just adapt our game when Harry is injured (for example, play Lamela upfront like we did at Chelsea away last season) than play Janssen. He was so poor imo. A trier, but overall a hindrance to our attack (also, see Sissoko).

I wouldn’t be against it, rather offload Llorente personally. But judging by Pochs comments and fact he wasn’t on tour, ship has definitely sailed on that one....

There was talk he had put Pochs nose out by not showing enough in training etc. I dont know that its true, but for whatever reason Poch has certainly written him off (categoric "not in my plans" a few weeks ago) - regardless of whether he could be useful or not, he will be going.

Which is sad, from what I saw there was potential in him, I quite liked him.

Last edited:
When this thread jumped I was hoping we'd agreed a £15m fee with Fiorentina or Lazio or someone (the Italian deadline is this week as they've moved theirs like the EPL did)

Think it's pretty obvious that Janssen is not a Premier League caliber striker, but from the outside, his treatment has seemed pretty harsh by the club. Assuming he hasn't been disruptive behind the scenes (obv we can't know), I think completely ostracizing him from the squad and taking his number publicly is a counterproductive and reflects poorly on the club. Seems more likely that he was simply the victim of awful scouting by our staff, and hopefully he can get his career back on track, albeit at a lower level. I wish we'd just take the loss and move on.

Wonder what might have been if he’d finished this chance...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/foot...n-misses-a-one-on-one-against-crystal-palace/

(Sorry about linking to the sun)

That chance was highlighted by the Sun because he had already been building up a reputation of not scoring when he should have. I always thought this one was much more crucial. First game of the season at Everton, ten minutes to go, he gets it on his left foot and is really unfortunate that Stekelenburg makes a good stop:
(at 3:31). Imagine him having been able to play from Day 1 (literally) without the millstone of not scoring from open play.

Think it's pretty obvious that Janssen is not a Premier League caliber striker, but from the outside, his treatment has seemed pretty harsh by the club. Assuming he hasn't been disruptive behind the scenes (obv we can't know), I think completely ostracizing him from the squad and taking his number publicly is a counterproductive and reflects poorly on the club. Seems more likely that he was simply the victim of awful scouting by our staff, and hopefully he can get his career back on track, albeit at a lower level. I wish we'd just take the loss and move on.
I agree about the scouting - we have had several duds - but football is a tough business and many clubs have offloaded players not good enough and/or excluded them from the squad. Not giving Janssen a place in the squad means he doesn't have a place in Poch's plans. And if he's upset he can always look at his bank balance.

That chance was highlighted by the Sun because he had already been building up a reputation of not scoring when he should have. I always thought this one was much more crucial. First game of the season at Everton, ten minutes to go, he gets it on his left foot and is really unfortunate that Stekelenburg makes a good stop:
(at 3:31). Imagine him having been able to play from Day 1 (literally) without the millstone of not scoring from open play.
Soldado-esque.

Back