• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2018/19 Premier League Thread

How can analysis be serious when it doesn't predict draws? There are two ways to do it, which could give different results, but this would even out over a season.

1. Round up or down the goals for each team and that is the result. E.g. Bournemouth 2 -1 Cardiff, Burnley 1-1 Southampton,

2. Round up or down the margin of victory, so a difference of at least 0.5 is needed for a win. This would make Bournemouth-Cardiff a draw (+0.42) and give Burnley a win (+0.53).

Isn't xG about who should have won the game?

Its about the quality of chances created.

So high XG means a high quality of chance and a higher chance of goals.

Its useful when looking at teams like Utd, continually winning despite low XG is suggestive they are riding their luck rather than "deservedly" winning.

Just as, teams on a bad run with high XG, you could argue its more a blip as they are clearly creating good chances.

As with any stat its only really indicative of one thing, and is in danger of being used as an absolute when it really shouldnt be.

Stop conflating the two. You said they were rubbish....I gave you the field. :)

Ok Their keeper played at least 4 suicide passes to defenders in or just outside the box, they gave away possession more than 10 times in their own half of the field, they failed with their final pass to attackers to often and one of the best strikers in the league looked average against two centre backs wearing divers boots add Mendy getting away with the most obvious penalty of the weekend, I would say that was a rubbish performance, but to be critical of City or their coach is forbidden, I accept it wasnt their best XI but they're better than most. They scored a very good goal plus one I would be disappointed to see us concede.

Then why award points at all? Just use aggregate xG difference over the season.

Surely the point is to ask if the actual results (points awarded in the game) are matched by predictions based on chances (points based on xG differential).

Some one has to find a use for all these guys with their different stats, there are so many who have to find a use for what they know. ( allegedly)

I wonder what impact KdB's injury would have on City's chances of winning the league. They still have Silva, Gundogan, plus a host of wingers. Perhaps an opportunity for Foden to step up?

Back