• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Uggggh, for me the Trust are quite embarrassing. ‘We don’t believe in signings for the sake of it, we’re happy we tied Kane and Poch to long contracts by virtue of a bigger wage budget, buuuuuuuut where are our signings?’

I’m still, yet to see this obvious player that would have definitely improved us, was definitely available, definitely gettable ahead of more monied rivals, and definitely worth blocking a squad place for one of our existing players for. As a first 11 improvement or squad improvement, there is not one player I’ve seen another club sign that I thought would be absolutely perfect for us, and exactly what we need. Maybe Keita, who Liverpool signed a year ago.

We’ve kept our squad together. Having players like Lamela and Moura - who we signed at a cost of 55m not even guaranteed to make our first 11 - is good depth. Having the 5 full backs that we have is good depth. The Centre backs we have represent good depth. The goalkeepers. The likes of Winks and Onomah who will be really pushing on. Because yes we could have signed an Andre Gomes, but I don’t see him as this obvious upgrade, or worth disrupting the harmony for, or worth harming our reputation for bringing through youth.

If Sessegnon went anywhere else, I would have been gutted if we didn’t get him. Otherwise though, I really haven’t seen any players that I thought should have been ours. Maybe Kovacic, but then Madrid didn’t want to sell him and only let him go to get Courtois. And we still have Dembele, who from the theme of Poch’s comments ultimately decided not to move.

I think the trust has summarized it pretty well:

THFC’s inability to make any improvements during the summer transfer window to a squad that is so close to achieving great things has dismayed many fans.

As a Supporters’ Trust, it is not our job to involve ourselves in on-field matters. But we have a responsibility to voice the concerns of our fans about the Club’s ambition and strategy on the pitch. And to ask for a full and believable explanation of how this transfer window has played out.

We do not believe in spending money or signing players for the sake of it. We recognise the achievement in keeping our squad together, for now at least, and in getting key players to agree new contracts. And we commend manager Mauricio Pochettino’s professionalism in his deadline day press conference. He has shown once again his ability to make the most of what he is given.

We have much to be proud of at Spurs. Nine of our players featured in the World Cup semi-finals. Over the last few years, a manager we revere has forged an exciting team that has challenged for top honours. And more fans than the Club cares to acknowledge recognise the challenges and achievements of running a sustainable business and building a top class stadium.

But fans come to watch the team. A team that will start the season with many of its key members still tired after the World Cup. And a squad that most rational observers would agree could benefit from more depth. It is not unreasonable to question if it was really the case that, alone among Europe’s top clubs, Spurs could find no player who would improve their squad while our rivals strengthened theirs.

Earlier this year, the Club objected to THST’s criticism of steep ticket price rises. It told us we could not expect players to be signed or wages to be competitive while we opposed those ticket price rises. Fans have paid the prices asked. And yet no signings have been made.

We know that gate receipts are no longer as fundamental as they once were for financing transfer fees or wages. But ticketing income at Spurs is now higher than it has ever been. We are curious as to what that money has been used for. We have been told the stadium build will not affect transfer spending.

We are told that we don’t have to sign players because we develop our youth. Yet four of our most promising prospects left the Club this summer. Of the current first team squad, just two regulars have come up through the ranks.

We love what has been developed, but for all the great football we’ve seen over the last few seasons, there are no trophies to show.

We have the highest paid Chairman in the Premier League. Our fans pay some of the highest prices in world football. Our support for our team and our admiration for what has been achieved remains strong. However, we believe fans are entitled to a full and credible explanation of what has happened this summer.

THST Board
9 August 2018

Exactly the entitled clamery I expect from that macaronic bunch of window lickers, but to do it within hours of the window closing shows that they clearly spent the entire fudging day composing it and jerking each other off over how clever they all are.

As always, the trust are an utter embarrassment, they do not speak for me.

I think the trust has summarized it pretty well:

THFC’s inability to make any improvements during the summer transfer window to a squad that is so close to achieving great things has dismayed many fans.

As a Supporters’ Trust, it is not our job to involve ourselves in on-field matters. But we have a responsibility to voice the concerns of our fans about the Club’s ambition and strategy on the pitch. And to ask for a full and believable explanation of how this transfer window has played out.

We do not believe in spending money or signing players for the sake of it. We recognise the achievement in keeping our squad together, for now at least, and in getting key players to agree new contracts. And we commend manager Mauricio Pochettino’s professionalism in his deadline day press conference. He has shown once again his ability to make the most of what he is given.

We have much to be proud of at Spurs. Nine of our players featured in the World Cup semi-finals. Over the last few years, a manager we revere has forged an exciting team that has challenged for top honours. And more fans than the Club cares to acknowledge recognise the challenges and achievements of running a sustainable business and building a top class stadium.

But fans come to watch the team. A team that will start the season with many of its key members still tired after the World Cup. And a squad that most rational observers would agree could benefit from more depth. It is not unreasonable to question if it was really the case that, alone among Europe’s top clubs, Spurs could find no player who would improve their squad while our rivals strengthened theirs.

Earlier this year, the Club objected to THST’s criticism of steep ticket price rises. It told us we could not expect players to be signed or wages to be competitive while we opposed those ticket price rises. Fans have paid the prices asked. And yet no signings have been made.

We know that gate receipts are no longer as fundamental as they once were for financing transfer fees or wages. But ticketing income at Spurs is now higher than it has ever been. We are curious as to what that money has been used for. We have been told the stadium build will not affect transfer spending.

We are told that we don’t have to sign players because we develop our youth. Yet four of our most promising prospects left the Club this summer. Of the current first team squad, just two regulars have come up through the ranks.

We love what has been developed, but for all the great football we’ve seen over the last few seasons, there are no trophies to show.

We have the highest paid Chairman in the Premier League. Our fans pay some of the highest prices in world football. Our support for our team and our admiration for what has been achieved remains strong. However, we believe fans are entitled to a full and credible explanation of what has happened this summer.

THST Board
9 August 2018

As usual from the trust, blah,blah,blah, they really do believe they offer something to fans. :rolleyes:

I think thats a rather basic view. They guy runs a multi million (billion) pound company, 100s of employees etc, and has shown enough over his time here for us to believe he has enough foresight to think "Hey, Im really busy, I must make sure I can get the transfer window sorted as well-maybe I need to delegate or something..."

IMO, we had a very narrow field of targets, none were available at any sort of value, so we couldnt get them done. We chose to not move, rather than compromise.

Far to much sense it that for some.

The Trust definitely speaks for me, and for a very large proportion of our fans - a welcome respite from the relentless revisionism and groupthink that has been descending on this place in the aftermath of this window.

And I'm damn glad to have the Trust around - I'd rather they exist and hold the club to account, however weakly, than that they don't and everything is left up to Levy to run like some unquestioned feudal lord. Although, undoubtedly, one person here (not naming names) would just love that, since he believes our chairman has never done and can never do anything wrong whatsoever.

No I didn’t... I think that playing at home will bring back some advantage

I also think city won’t have it as easy (but they earned it)

I also think pool are more known now too and don’t excel under pressure

People want centre miss but I think we will play with 1 true centre mid now with Alli and eriksen alongside them and players like moura, lamela and son behind Kane

We have Dier, Dembele, Wanyama, winks, and sissoko (debatable as a centre mid) for 1 or two positions

Plus of course two other youngsters who have excelled pre season

The club should not reactively buy for an injury IMO

Hmm, playing at WHL and the comforts of home rather than Wembley should have a positive impace but not sure if it will be enough to make up 23 points, which is how far we were behing Emirates Marketing Project last season. Ultimately I'd expect us to gain more points at home however, I'd be unsurprised to see us drop points early in the season as the players still have to get used to a new stadium, the dimensions, the pitch, the dressing rooms etc.

I can only see Liverpool improving this season. Not sure if Emirates Marketing Project will get 100 points again as every team they play will see them as a major scalp this season but they're still head and shoulders above everyone else and I see them getting no less than 90 points, which is a tall order in terms of finishing above them as most years 86 points wins you the league (on average).

I'm really pleased we kept hold of our players that were linked with moves. Still think we could have done with 1-2 bodies just to freshen things up and keep the players on their toes. New signings give the squad a lift. Centre midfield is the area we are crying out for a top class player IMO. Dembele is still at a reasonably high level but you can never rely on him to play every game. Wanyama's injuries are a worry. Not overly sold on Dier. I like Winks but he also has a patch record with injuries last season.

and, to question the ambition, whilst the stadium is completed, whilst our players monopolise the World Cup, whilst our manager and leading players are at the top of every wanted list

mind boggling stupidity

Agreed. If they understood that there is no need to make signings for signings sake, if they understand where we are in terms of finances relative to our rivals, and they understand the work that has gone in to haul us up to where we now are, there should be no need to demand an explanation for anything. If they understand all of that, they shouldn’t need one.

The Trust definitely speaks for me, and for a very large proportion of our fans - a welcome respite from the relentless revisionism and groupthink that has been descending on this place in the aftermath of this window.

And I'm damn glad to have the Trust around - I'd rather they exist and hold the club to account, however weakly, than that they don't and everything is left up to Levy to run like some unquestioned feudal lord. Although, undoubtedly, one person here (not naming names) would just love that, since he believes our chairman has never done and can never do anything wrong whatsoever.

Who, bearing in mind we didn’t get suitable offers for Toby and Dembele, do you think we should have signed? Who has moved, or was close to moving to any of our rivals, who was gettable, an obvious improvement, fits with our wage structure and transfer budget, and wasn’t going to block a path to someone already here that can be just as good?

Who were these obvious players, bearing in mind we couldn’t shift the ones we would have been happy to let go?

Agreed. If they understood that there is no need to make signings for signings sake, if they understand where we are in terms of finances relative to our rivals, and they understand the work that has gone in to haul us up to where we now are, there should be no need to demand an explanation for anything. If they understand all of that, they shouldn’t need one.

They are full of their own false importance, wanabees with no real substance.

I would also say a couple of things:

It’s funny that Poch is copping almost ZERO flack from fans for a lack of signings, despite a book written in his first person perspective with his blessing saying that he prefers not to sign someone if they don’t fit the system or if it’s just to fill a bench spot that an academy graduate can take. Not saying I think Poch should get flack, but it’s really interesting (and quite sad) that Levy is taking 100% of the stick. I would even say Poch’s quotes about being brave we’re likely to do with raising wage budget and selling unwanted players quickly rather than keeping them hanging round because we wanted top price. (This was inferred as to what those quotes meant at the time by some of the better Spurs journos). With that in mind, Levy - if he was that way inclined - might be entitled to be a bit annoyed with Poch that he effectively tipped our hand to buying clubs, which may have contributed to us getting no suitable offers at all. Not saying that all happened, or that Poch deserves flack, but Levy copping all of it is just showing a wilful misunderstanding of Poch’s approach to team building.

Secondly, Poch got Moura in January and barely played him. Comfort with the system, cohesion with the team, settled players with the ability to make a serious difference are SO important to Poch. He got a great signing but didn’t use him because he wanted him to settle and get that cohesion, and preferred using players he knew he could trust in the system.

This window smells of Poch’s (good, IMO) work rather than Levy. But Levy is getting stick for it. It’s weird. And I think our players are going to surprise a lot of people this year with how well they do.

It’s funny that Poch is copping almost ZERO flack from fans for a lack of signings, despite a book written in his first person perspective with his blessing saying that he prefers not to sign someone if they don’t fit the system or if it’s just to fill a bench spot that an academy graduate can take. Not saying I think Poch should get flack, but it’s really interesting (and quite sad) that Levy is taking 400% of the stick. I would even say Poch’s quotes about being brave we’re likely to do with raising wage budget and selling unwanted players quickly rather than keeping them hanging round because we wanted top price. (This was inferred as to what those quotes meant at the time by some of the better Spurs journos). With that in mind, Levy - if he was that way inclined - might be entitled to be a bit annoyed with Poch that he effectively tipped our hand to buying clubs, which may have contributed to us getting no suitable offers at all. Not saying that all happened, or that Poch deserves flack, but Levy copping all of it is just showing a wilful misunderstanding of Poch’s approach to team building.

Secondly, Poch got Moura in January and barely played him. Comfort with the system, cohesion with the team, settled players with the ability to make a serious difference are SO important to Poch. He got a great signing but didn’t use him because he wanted him to settle and get that cohesion, and preferred using players he knew he could trust in the system.

This window smells of Poch’s (good, IMO) work rather than Levy. But Levy is getting stick for it. It’s weird. And I think our players are going to surprise a lot of people this year with how well they do.

Agree with almost all of that.

Anyone who is surprised by how well we do hasn’t been paying attention.

It’s funny that Poch is copping almost ZERO flack from fans for a lack of signings, despite a book written in his first person perspective with his blessing saying that he prefers not to sign someone if they don’t fit the system or if it’s just to fill a bench spot that an academy graduate can take. Not saying I think Poch should get flack, but it’s really interesting (and quite sad) that Levy is taking 400% of the stick. I would even say Poch’s quotes about being brave we’re likely to do with raising wage budget and selling unwanted players quickly rather than keeping them hanging round because we wanted top price. (This was inferred as to what those quotes meant at the time by some of the better Spurs journos). With that in mind, Levy - if he was that way inclined - might be entitled to be a bit annoyed with Poch that he effectively tipped our hand to buying clubs, which may have contributed to us getting no suitable offers at all. Not saying that all happened, or that Poch deserves flack, but Levy copping all of it is just showing a wilful misunderstanding of Poch’s approach to team building.

You are right, it’s not Just levy that’s at fault It’s a number of people, scouts/manager and board.

I don’t see how between then they couldn’t identify and complete a single signing that is better than the squad/injury hit/want away players in the squad

Not just incomings but our goings as well.

I would have taken a serious look at Pascal Gross from Brighton, creative, tectonically very good and would have been a good squad player/alternative option to Christian for certain games.

Poch is also clearly not very interested in transfers. More English-style managers drive and cajole in that area, but Poch seems happily passive

Back