• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Taking stock for 5pm...

Why? He sees Fergie as one of his benchmarks and he ran a similar ship. Seemed to work well for him.

Fergie was a 90s manager and his charges were fatalistic, self-reliant Gen Xers like ourselves. Poch is managing Gen Y snowflakes. In the real world, management styles have had to adapt to cohort shifts.

And Fergie had financial freedom to fudge players off and then replace them. Poch doesn't: he's reliant on the club's luck and foresight.

It hasn't bitten us on the arse yet, as @nayimfromthehalfwayline pointed out, and we've managed to have replacements lined up for everyone who has been frozen out after upsetting Poch. But his respect fetishisation is definitely a risk factor for player retention.

Oh well, no signings it is, lets see what happens then because if Poch is happy he should deliever 4th and a trophy based on what we have.

Punch the taco in the face and fcuk his wife. Want you gone fudge him who does he think he is. I mean obviously he thinks he is your boss but sack you. Nah fcuk him and the horse he rode in on.

I probably would be a bit more careful than that, but have to say I like your style!

Fergie was a 90s manager and his charges were fatalistic, self-reliant Gen Xers like ourselves. Poch is managing Gen Y snowflakes. In the real world, management styles have had to adapt to cohort shifts.

And Fergie had financial freedom to fudge players off and then replace them. Poch doesn't: he's reliant on the club's luck and foresight.

It hasn't bitten us on the arse yet, as @nayimfromthehalfwayline pointed out, and we've managed to have replacements lined up for everyone who has been frozen out after upsetting Poch. But his respect fetishisation is definitely a risk factor for player retention.

Frozen out - is an interesting term.

Adebayor/Kaboul - they were frozen out. Completely brickcanned from the team and training with youth (if at all?).

Alderweireld? He was in and around the squad at all times. He was given opportunities and was poor when he played. I dont think he was frozen out, as such. I think he didnt do enough to earn a place in the team - and Sanchez/Vertonghen were doing so well it would have been unfair to drop either.

Theres clearly a gradient to these things. My assumption - Alderweireld hasnt fallen quite so far from grace that he cant work his way back in.

Oh well, no signings it is, lets see what happens then because if Poch is happy he should deliever 4th and a trophy based on what we have.

How can you say a team which finish 4th should win a trophy? 4th place = 3 teams better than you and presumably 3 teams with shorter odds to win the cup competitions. We'll be in the mix for all them but favourites for none (until a time where we are the best team remaining)

How can you say a team which finish 4th should win a trophy? 4th place = 3 teams better than you and presumably 3 teams with shorter odds to win the cup competitions. We'll be in the mix for all them but favourites for none (until a time where we are the best team remaining)

Thats a very scientific way of looking at it but in the last 2/3 years we were trophy contenders and we should in terms of progression be turning the SFs into finals and trophies. Poch should be aspiring to that for himself and the club.

And the point I am making is that Poch feels we can achieve that without adding to the team based on him being happy with what he has, so lets go and do it then.

Thats a very scientific way of looking at it but in the last 2/3 years we were trophy contenders and we should in terms of progression be turning the SFs into finals and trophies. Poch should be aspiring to that for himself and the club.

And the point I am making is that Poch feels we can achieve that without adding to the team based on him being happy with what he has, so lets go and do it then.

I guess it depends on whether he is happy with what we have - a few days ago though he said it was unclear how many would come in...it might be 1, 2, 3 or 4. That suggests he's not entirely content with what we have.

The other issue with the progression thing is that it looks like all the other top 6 will have added, albeit to varying degrees, over the course of the window so competition is tougher

Just trying to highlight the nature of cup competitions means it's hard to say you/anyone should win them - if we draw Emirates Marketing Project away in an early round then chances are we're out.

Someone care to guestimate the collective days speculating by GG posters this summer?

The Transfer thread has a quarter of a million views. A conservative guess at posters spending about a minute per view, and we have spent almost half a year of our time on that thread alone. I'm tickled!:)

I didn't feel so excited this summer. As we have the new stadium and there was the WC. Not to mention we are not buying for the sake of it, and a have stable settled squad. If Poch and his team can inject enthusiam and fresh energy into the squad, there are many players who could be like new signings within the existing ranks. He has too many players as it is. Would you loan one or two?

Last edited:
Keita is the only player signed by an EPL club this summer who would have improved us
Seri I think could have been a decent option and from what I read regarding how he played last year (injuries permitting) Meyer too but largely I agree our subs are better than other attainable targets.

Not counting Fred / Fabinho /Jorginho as they were never attainable.

Keita is the only player signed by an EPL club this summer who would have improved us
Agree with that, but at the same time I think there will be a few who turn out to be good enough to of strengthened us. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing though....

Back