• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

For all the thousands of words Ive written on it, he just captures it in one sentence, I love this line.

I’m here to win. The reality is to win and to have the argument about whether you have the tools to win is a different matter. We have had massive success at the club, getting Champions League for a third year in a row.

‘But maybe that is not enough and maybe we need to change certain things because for me it is not enough. I want to challenge and fight to win things until the end, that moment when my chairman Daniel Levy says to me, “Mauricio go home and find another project”.’

Sounds frustrated at lack of action.

Everything he always says sounds to me like he understands who and what we are perfectly.

And also that he is deeply ambitious and wants to do the best he/we can.

Same as Levy, whom, it seems, he has a very good relationship with.

But, of course, you can always take a paragraph out of a full interview and add whatever spin you like to it.

And they love doing it as well.

Everything he always says sounds to me like he understands who and what we are perfectly.

And also that he is deeply ambitious and wants to do the best he/we can.

Same as Levy, whom, it seems, he has a very good relationship with.

But, of course, you can always take a paragraph out of a full interview and add whatever spin you like to it.

I'm not sure whether you were being facetious with your final line but I genuinely do think that a lot of Poch's comments like the one above and the fuller article can be read both ways - you can read it that he's fully supportive of where we are and Levy not spending anything (net), or you can equally read it as him being frustrated. I think its difficult to know precisely how he feels - its possible that he is both understanding and frustrated, but only he would really know. His post-season (May/June time) meeting with Levy was the clearest indication that he wanted greater clarity on the future, as well as them presumably having general end of season review etc, but the comments since have been as above - possible to read both ways

I'm not sure whether you were being facetious with your final line but I genuinely do think that a lot of Poch's comments like the one above and the fuller article can be read both ways - you can read it that he's fully supportive of where we are and Levy not spending anything (net), or you can equally read it as him being frustrated. I think its difficult to know precisely how he feels - its possible that he is both understanding and frustrated, but only he would really know. His post-season (May/June time) meeting with Levy was the clearest indication that he wanted greater clarity on the future, as well as them presumably having general end of season review etc, but the comments since have been as above - possible to read both ways

Not entirely. People are in the habit of latching onto a single comment and then infering what they will.

Generally, when you see the full interview, he comes over as very understanding of our position and quite balanced in general.

I have no doubt he has frustration. He is a sportsman, a competitor, and he wants to win. I have no doubt he wanted players in ASAP and that they arent is frustrating. But theres a fair few degrees between "Im frustrated, but understanding" and "Im frustrated, my relationship with Levy has broken down, Im going to leave..."

Take a guess which end of the scale most people choose to take it.

Not entirely. People are in the habit of latching onto a single comment and then infering what they will.

Generally, when you see the full interview, he comes over as very understanding of our position and quite balanced in general.

I have no doubt he has frustration. He is a sportsman, a competitor, and he wants to win. I have no doubt he wanted players in ASAP and that they arent is frustrating. But theres a fair few degrees between "Im frustrated, but understanding" and "Im frustrated, my relationship with Levy has broken down, Im going to leave..."

Take a guess which end of the scale most people choose to take it.
Pochettino signing a new contract was as clear an indication of how he thinks as we can get.

If course people could speculate that Levy tricked him making promises about big money being spent early and Pochettino is now secretly furious, but I can't see it.

He has laid down his views on the window now, he can't moan at any point during the season about the squad.

People see what they want, Im sure plenty will say he is completely unhappy but just toe-ing the company line.

For what its worth, I remember comments from him a while back - to the effect that its better to not buy anyone than get people you dont need, and its better to have youth on the bench (in situations like that) than journeyman you picked up just because (of course, paraphasing)

Here it is

https://www.football.london/tottenh...urs-transfers-pochettino-daniel-levy-15004324

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has previously given his thoughts on transfers and with this summer proving a barren wasteland for the club's fans they're worth a revisit.

Spurs are the only club yet to have done any transfer business this summer which has particularly exasperated the supporters as Pochettino said earlier this year that he hoped that any new signings would arrive in time for pre-season.

Apart from the fact that Tottenham are targeting homegrown players this window in order to address an unbalanced Champions League squad, previous comments from Pochettino also give an insight over his policy when it comes to new signings.

The manager recounted a trip away with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy to Argentina two seasons ago and their discussions over transfers in his book 'Brave New World: Inside Pochettino's Spurs'.

"Sometimes club presidents and chairman appoint a coach because of his CV, but until they make a real connection, they don't truly understand what they've brought to the club. Spending so many hours together helped Daniel get closer to how we think," said Pochettino.

"We spoke about being more effective, about strategies, about how we can improve and become more competitive. About why I prefer to give homegrown kids chances rather than signing players, and the problems that can be caused by buying players you don't need.

"Leaving a signing on the bench is not the same as having an academy graduate as a bench-warmer."

He added: "We reprised a really interesting game we'd first played a while back. We had to split the Premier League squads into good players, very good players and stars.

"In doing so, the different opinions we each had about these categories became apparent and some very constructive discussions ensued.

"A chairman and a manager can only really talk football at a superficial level. But I was able to explain to him in detail how, the more defined your playing style is, the more difficult transfers become, because either a player gives you something specific you're lacking, or you're better off not signing anyone."

More from Mauricio Pochettino, who has refused to be drawn on Tottenham’s reported pursuit of Jack Grealish...

"I don’t like to talk about the players who are with other teams,” the Spurs boss said.

"There are many rumours during the transfer window. There is no point talking about players at another club.

"I am happy with the squad, happy with the players. We work to improve the squad, but when it is not possible, it is not possible and we move on.

"I believe in the way that we work and I have no doubt we will be competitive, with or without signings."

People see what they want, Im sure plenty will say he is completely unhappy but just toe-ing the company line.

For what its worth, I remember comments from him a while back - to the effect that its better to not buy anyone than get people you dont need, and its better to have youth on the bench (in situations like that) than journeyman you picked up just because (of course, paraphasing)

More referring to his comments last season about being more active in the window early.

Yep, Poch's belief that big money buys are not always the answer has been well documented. And though he has since conceded that successfully bringing through home-growns is more difficult for a title-challenging squad he has also accepted that stadium costs mean the club's current finances may not run to the names that you don't need to google.

However a lack of arrivals will mean the stakes are even higher for the coming season. It's no longer just about qualifying for the CL; failure to win a trophy could lead to an unwelcome exodus come next summer.

More referring to his comments last season about being more active in the window early.

I see. Well, who wouldnt want that?

This is where interpretation lies though, for me it was more a "wouldnt it be nice if..." rather than an "I absolutely want this or else..." and of course thats where people will disagree.

However a lack of arrivals will mean the stakes are even higher for the coming season. It's no longer just about qualifying for the CL, failure to win a trophy could lead to an unwelcome exodus at the end of the season.

Thats a whole different conversation, one that can be reprised (for the nth time!) after the window.

Its not a view I subscribe to, but I see why people do.

Back