• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Why blame the media for that, though? The perception is not because of what they do, it is because of what *we* do. As you pointed out, *we* need to win things, not fold in semi-finals all the time. Every member of the top six has won something more recently than we have. That needs to change if we want the media to change their narrative - just finishing in the top four all the time won't cut it, just like it never worked for Arsenal.

Additionally, *we* need to act like a big club at some point if we want to be seen as one. How do we expect the media to report on how big and decisive we are when we spend four months haggling over a f*cking Championship player and pull a scrimp-and-save deadline-day routine every damn year?

It's sort of strange that we expect the media to treat us like the other big clubs and then cry foul when the media lambasts us for not acting like the other big clubs. Look the part, be the part, as Proposition Joe would say.

I'm not "blaming" the media - it is doing its job which is to sell rather than record. I'm saying I think it is a factor in our transfer success at times. How the club is perceived from the outside. And yes, it works both ways though - we need to do more certainly (but again you throw out unsubstantiated comments about haggling for 4 months for a EFL player based on no knowledge of the process or any of our transfer efforts) in terms of getting across the line and winning something. I don't expect the media to treat us in the same way they treat clubs that have won things but I would hope that we get fair credit for what we have achieved (a decade of significantly over-performing against income/spend for example) and I don't believe we do. We don't have the voices in the media that the other clubs have, be it from ex-pros (and before you say that is because those ex-pros are winners two that spring to mind are Robbie Savage and Pat Nevin who get a lot of radio time, Tony Cottee, Jason Cundy, Matt LeTissier or Charlie effing Nicholas)) or journalists, and we don't have the fan base so we don't get as much coverage. That is how the media works and how business works - sell advertising, maximise revenue etc - I get all that. I'm not even criticising it - i'm just saying I think it is a factor in how foreign players and even UK based ones perceive us and when all else is equal I think it counts against us in the transfer market.

The fallacy that Levy was more trigger-happy with his managers than other chairmen, for example. The myth that we are the deadline day kings. It is media-contrived stereotypes because it is easy write and easy sell. Doesn't make them true but it does paint a picture of the Club which isn't as positive as it should be.

Sander Berge - Agent apparently in London discussing a move to spurs. 6 ft 4, Dembele-esque midfielder. Sevilla in for him too

From twitter

I'm not "blaming" the media - it is doing its job which is to sell rather than record. I'm saying I think it is a factor in our transfer success at times. How the club is perceived from the outside. And yes, it works both ways though - we need to do more certainly (but again you throw out unsubstantiated comments about haggling for 4 months for a EFL player based on no knowledge of the process or any of our transfer efforts) in terms of getting across the line and winning something. I don't expect the media to treat us in the same way they treat clubs that have won things but I would hope that we get fair credit for what we have achieved (a decade of significantly over-performing against income/spend for example) and I don't believe we do. We don't have the voices in the media that the other clubs have, be it from ex-pros (and before you say that is because those ex-pros are winners two that spring to mind are Robbie Savage and Pat Nevin who get a lot of radio time, Tony Cottee, Jason Cundy, Matt LeTissier or Charlie effing Nicholas)) or journalists, and we don't have the fan base so we don't get as much coverage. That is how the media works and how business works - sell advertising, maximise revenue etc - I get all that. I'm not even criticising it - i'm just saying I think it is a factor in how foreign players and even UK based ones perceive us and when all else is equal I think it counts against us in the transfer market.

The fallacy that Levy was more trigger-happy with his managers than other chairmen, for example. The myth that we are the deadline day kings. It is media-contrived stereotypes because it is easy write and easy sell. Doesn't make them true but it does paint a picture of the Club which isn't as positive as it should be.

Actually entirely fair. Sorry, mate - I misread the purpose of your post. :(

I have some breaking ITK news!
There will be transfers made on DLD. In and out. Or not. Been told names, but can't say. Will confirm if my sources where right after the transfers have been made. Or not. We will see.

Sander Berge - Agent apparently in London discussing a move to spurs. 6 ft 4, Dembele-esque midfielder. Sevilla in for him too

From twitter

Would be a decent one for the future. Massive talent, got an excellent attitude and football brain, great passing range, is a bit of a maestro, has a bit of trickery in him too. Not one to improve the first team straight away, but this guy could be big if he continues his development. Not PL ready yet though, probably.

This vid from the season before last, and not the flashiest highlight reel, but you get the feel for him as a player somewhat.

For what it's worth, I really like the guy. He's been the standout performer in the Norwegian national team for the past year or two (not necessarily saying a lot, haha).

Last edited:
Berge's agent has said that he will favour the team that is the likeliest to give him the most first team football - and he has confirmed he is in London - so it might as well be Fulham, Palace or Watford as well. I reckon he's got his sight on one of the top clubs though.

From twitter

If the stats on wiki are correct he's never scored in club football or international football, including all the age-group levels. So yes, very Dembele-esque

More seriously, I'm all for this sort of signing, but if he isnt ready for the PL then loan him back to Genk for 6-12 months

Berge's agent has said that he will favour the team that is the likeliest to give him the most first team football - and he has confirmed he is in London - so it might as well be Fulham, Palace or Watford as well. I reckon he's got his sight on one of the top clubs though.

Feels like Fulham and Palace have signed enough players already.
If we are in for this player then surely it would mean at least one of Wanyama or Dembele will be sold.

Back