• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Levy's Plan

A team they couldn't afford and they are still paying the price for today. Besides, 5th back then was the same as 7th now after our rise and City's oil money.
They could have kicked on if a better (richer) owner had come in. Or if they had qualified for Champions League, though for all their pushing Everton for 5th, they were still a way off 4th.
It was a false dawn, papered over poor financial management. Was always going to collapse.
No doubt good times for Villa fans, but they were never headed into the same direction as we've gone. I'm not even sure it could be possible without London location.

Or they could have kicked on had they planned properly for the long-term, established a base, and exploited their advantages. Which is the case the article makes. We really were in a similar position to them and it really shows what a fantastic Chairman we have.

I think Levy's plan is to go from 17 to 20

us76gcnwkxc11.jpg

us76gcnwkxc11.jpg

Poch is a fcuking wizard, magicman, to have that net spend an to perform like we have. He has been on 5 mill a year???? triple that and he would have been overachieving and a bargain

so if you put that low net spend alongside our below 50% wage to turnover ratio, a lot of money must have been redirected towards the stadium build......if not,where could it have gone

we must be in a very healthy financial position

Poch is a fcuking wizard, magicman, to have that net spend an to perform like we have. He has been on 5 mill a year???? triple that and he would have been overachieving and a bargain

so if you put that low net spend alongside our below 50% wage to turnover ratio, a lot of money must have been redirected towards the stadium build......if not,where could it have gone

we must be in a very healthy financial position

Throw Wembley last season into the mix and the mind boggles. What Poch has done is out of this world and his achievements last season are overlooked by the media because he’s the victim of his own success and people are viewing him through the prism of “ah but he’s not won anything.”

I wouldn’t swap him for anyone.

us76gcnwkxc11.jpg

I'll hold my hands up and say I've quite admired what City have done in recent years both on and off the pitch. If your going to spend a load of money, at least do it with a bit of class.

BUT the fact that we are where we are, playing the football we are on 5.7% of their net spend is ABSOLUTELY FVCKING AWSOME! Palace have spent 4 times as much as us and even Huddersfield twice as much FFS! Awsome.

Interesting to think of where we would be if Levy hadnt lucked out with Poch, Kane etc and a degree of stability on the playing side.

Is our net spend so low due to the success of the team?

Interesting to think of where we would be if Levy hadnt lucked out with Poch, Kane etc and a degree of stability on the playing side.

Is our net spend so low due to the success of the team?
plus sell before we buy as our costs sky rocketed for the WHL stadium

I'll hold my hands up and say I've quite admired what City have done in recent years both on and off the pitch. If your going to spend a load of money, at least do it with a bit of class.

BUT the fact that we are where we are, playing the football we are on 5.7% of their net spend is ABSOLUTELY FVCKING AWSOME! Palace have spent 4 times as much as us and even Huddersfield twice as much FFS! Awsome.

It’s very easy to spend there is little class in it. Making it from good management now that’s true class!
City are soulless, I like to see a little evolution from within.
One reason I’m here typing this.
We don’t pick up players without consequence.
Grealish would have been stock piled along with Barkley et al without a backwould glance.
We would not have a transfer thread of any substance because it would no longer be relevant.

Not for me.

Throw Wembley last season into the mix and the mind boggles. What Poch has done is out of this world and his achievements last season are overlooked by the media because he’s the victim of his own success and people are viewing him through the prism of “ah but he’s not won anything.”

I wouldn’t swap him for anyone.
yes but there's only so many times he can do it with that squad. I think its going to catch up with us this year as everyone else has improved. Whilst I still think we have a fantastic 11 that can beat anyone, it's going to be harder this year as everyone has strengthened.

Remember the Bale money........we are right to be considered in our approach

Considered? We are the only club who have not signed a player. We're a couple of days from the window closing. Even if we get someone, we don't have much time to integrate them into the squad. I heard Jamie Redknapp say last night that when looking at our first 3 games over the last few years we've won only 2 of 9 games. We've gotten 11 points from 27 and beaten only Palace and Saudi Sportswashing Machine. There is an argument that leaving transfers so late (we didn't sign anyone last year until the season had already started) has a negative effect on our early season performances.

yes but there's only so many times he can do it with that squad. I think its going to catch up with us this year as everyone else has improved. Whilst I still think we have a fantastic 11 that can beat anyone, it's going to be harder this year as everyone has strengthened.

I agree. The man can only do so much. He's not a miracle worker. I'd hate to see people turn on him of results don't go our way because he's worked wonders over the last 12 months (and longer).

Net spend on transfers is an meaningless figure on its own. It only considers one aspect of player costs and doesn't take account of why a team is buying and what they are getting.

Any serious analysis has to include wages. I think we would be 6th wages plus net transfers, as the extra transfer spending by West Ham and Everton is unlikely to bridge the wage gap. So Poch has done an excellent job given our expected position of 6th, but its silly to think we should be finishing 17th based on net spend.

The other factor is why you are buying. Obviously the intent is to make the team better overall. This is more difficult when you have a team playing well with young players who are getting better. Players who will definitely make us better are out of our price range (especially wages). There is no point just spending for the sake of it, although Sissoko seems an example of that.

A history of bad buys will also distort the net spending. Levy rarely buys a total bust. For players who don't work out we usually recover most of the money and often make a profit. Bentley is the only total bust recently. If you spend badly and lose a lot on a player, then the net spend will accumulate. This is one reason why the total spend is also worth looking at as part of the bigger picture. We have spent quite a lot on players, but we haven't had to take the loses which I suspect would be seen with West Ham.

Desperation also encourages bad buys. When you have team playing well you can pick and choose, when you need something badly you have to take more gambles. The one area where we haven't done well is strikers.

Player retention is another factor. If player turnover is high, then you are forced to buy from absolute need more often. As every transfer is a gamble to some extent this is likely to lead to more bad buys. Our habit of regularly rewarding new contracts seems to have kept most players happy. The ones who are not are the ones who want contracts beyond our means. Our team stability seems to have coincided with the switch from our high net spend, low wage model about six years ago. Wenger seemed to go the other way. For years he paid high wages and was prudent with transfers and had a stable team. Few players left before he got the best of them and went on to better things. Then he started letting players go.

Considered? We are the only club who have not signed a player. We're a couple of days from the window closing. Even if we get someone, we don't have much time to integrate them into the squad. I heard Jamie Redknapp say last night that when looking at our first 3 games over the last few years we've won only 2 of 9 games. We've gotten 11 points from 27 and beaten only Palace and Saudi Sportswashing Machine. There is an argument that leaving transfers so late (we didn't sign anyone last year until the season had already started) has a negative effect on our early season performances.

I agree. The man can only do so much. He's not a miracle worker. I'd hate to see people turn on him of results don't go our way because he's worked wonders over the last 12 months (and longer).
There is also an argument that buying the wrong players has a negative effect on the whole season and longer

Back