• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grealish

Wanyama was superb for us and elevated the team. Sissoko is a fudging donkey and I cant stand him but he was used plenty last year and covered for absences.

Foyth, IMO will prove to be very good business. I thought Llorente was a smart buy. I like Aurier, and feel he will step up this year. Sanchez has been nothing short of phenomenal considering his age and experience.

Im comfortable to describe each as good windows, the squad was better off for the purchases made.

"Great Success", well we all have our own definitions. I wonder, how many clubs can regularly describe their transfer windows as such?

Keeping things quiet? We are actually really rather good at that. I can well believe there is loads going on we dont know about. Levy is the polar opposite to the like of the Dildo brothers who enjoy all the fuss and fanfare.

Wage bills, as per the accounts:

Emirates Marketing Project - £264.1m (Our wage will is 48.05% of this)
Man Utd - £263.5m (Spurs 48.16%)
Liverpool - £207.5m (Spurs 61.16%)
Arsenal - £199.4m (Spurs 63.64%)
Chelsea - £219.7m (Spurs 57.76%)
Us - £126.9m

You really think its that much of an exaggeration?

Liverpool arent being cautious enough. They are also spending the Coutinho money, which mitigates things for them.

And bang on about the stadium as much as you like, TODAY its not going to pay. In time, yes, of course - and thats the whole point in building it.

That’s wage bills. That’s what we choose to spend on wages not the resources we have. If you look at the stats, we spend around 42%. of our turnover on wages, Liverpool spend closer to 60%. Again, that could be interpreted as Levys risk aversion. From memory, only City and United (and us) spend less than 50% on wages and they have much higher revenues.

Look at actual revenue and look at what our new stadium is projected to deliver. That’s our “resources”. Not a wage bill that Levy has managed unbelievably well.

The stadium is guaranteed to generate revenue. Levy will know pretty well what it’s going to take in. He should be spending against that now, in my view, because that’s what any smart business does. Weigh up what the chance of future revenue growth is and spend against it to grow revenue further.

We’re in a position where waiting 2-3 years could be very damaging. Kane at 27, Eriksen at 29, Hugo at 34, Dele at 24. If these lads have won nothing by then, they’ll be off. Likewise Poch. We have the best squad we’ve had in decades and a real chance to push on. If we don’t take a risk, it will set us back.

I fully expect our wage bill to increase as the stadium delivers, but as of right now there is a reason it is what it is.
And it is half that of our opponents.

Wages are key, more than fees, that is a given. We can stump up big money - but the ongoing commitment to the player is the real cost.

I absolutely disagree with you that we should be spending against future earnings. Its a ridiculous thing to do, particularly when we dont have all our revenue streams in place yet.

Let's see where things get to over the next 3 days 7 hours. My over-riding concern is that there's only a certain number of consecutive poor/average summer transfer windows that any club can take before their on-pitch performances are hit, which leads to manager/players wanting to leave etc. We had a dreadful window in 2016, at best average window last year and in the 11th hour of this one, its not looking great at the moment

I fully expect our wage bill to increase as the stadium delivers, but as of right now there is a reason it is what it is.
And it is half that of our opponents.

Wages are key, more than fees, that is a given. We can stump up big money - but the ongoing commitment to the player is the real cost.

I absolutely disagree with you that we should be spending against future earnings. Its a ridiculous thing to do, particularly when we dont have all our revenue streams in place yet.

Our wages to revenue percentage is the lowest in the league. That’s good management but it’s also a risk averse strategy.

We make around 100m less than Arsenal based on the latest accounts. They made 50m more than us on match days. We should plug that gap with the new stadium. They made around 40m more than us on TV for the last accounting year. We should also plug that as we will have higher revenue from the CL than them.

Yet we still think we can’t compete?

Spending against future revenue, especially when most of it is guaranteed, is what every successful business does. Man United was bought by the Glaziers pretty much on that basis.

Let's see where things get to over the next 3 days 7 hours. My over-riding concern is that there's only a certain number of consecutive poor/average summer transfer windows that any club can take before their on-pitch performances are hit, which leads to manager/players wanting to leave etc. We had a dreadful window in 2016, at best average window last year and in the 11th hour of this one, its not looking great at the moment

I actually think we’ll pull off a couple of signings. I’ll be amazed if we don’t. I just hope they are the type of player that will really improve us.

There are so many factors, its just not that simple, is it?

For example, our team has grown and improved year on year. Evolution, not revolution. And our major buys over this period have all generally come in and improved that side/squad.

This isnt an ageing side is it? We have 9 players from the WC semi finals, for some of which that experience will have been transformative. Would you be surprised if Trippier stepped it up this year? Or Kane?

Of course - fresh blood is also essential in keeping things on the up, but (theres always a but) the team is at a stage where we really are talking 1 or 2 proper quality players, not 4 or 5 or more hopefully will develop players.

Remember how Fergie basically made one quality buy a year? I see us as kind of in that space. We have a quality, settled, team which needs specific pieces to improve it.

Our wages to revenue percentage is the lowest in the league. That’s good management but it’s also a risk averse strategy.

We make around 100m less than Arsenal based on the latest accounts. They made 50m more than us on match days. We should plug that gap with the new stadium. They made around 40m more than us on TV for the last accounting year. We should also plug that as we will have higher revenue from the CL than them.

Yet we still think we can’t compete?

Spending against future revenue, especially when most of it is guaranteed, is what every successful business does. Man United was bought by the Glaziers pretty much on that basis.

Funny how you focus in on Arsenal, the weakest of the bunch whom we have arguably over taken.

BRUCE: GREALISH WON’T LEAVE ON CHEAP

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce has confirmed talks are underway with Tottenham over the signing of Jack Grealish.

However, Bruce says that despite the lure of one of the Premier League's top clubs, the midfielder will not leave Villa Park on the cheap.

Chelsea have also been linked with Grealish but, like Tottenham, have failed to meet Villa's valuation.

Villa had been in a precarious financial state at the end of last season but Steve Bruce says sales are no longer necessary.

There are so many factors, its just not that simple, is it?

For example, our team has grown and improved year on year. Evolution, not revolution. And our major buys over this period have all generally come in and improved that side/squad.

This isnt an ageing side is it? We have 9 players from the WC semi finals, for some of which that experience will have been transformative. Would you be surprised if Trippier stepped it up this year? Or Kane?

Of course - fresh blood is also essential in keeping things on the up, but (theres always a but) the team is at a stage where we really are talking 1 or 2 proper quality players, not 4 or 5 or more hopefully will develop players.

Remember how Fergie basically made one quality buy a year? I see us as kind of in that space. We have a quality, settled, team which needs specific pieces to improve it.

Funny how you focus in on Arsenal, the weakest of the bunch whom we have arguably over taken.

We do probably need 1 or 2 signings to make a big difference. We need quality signings though - a level above even Wanyama and Sanchez.

I wouldn’t compare us to City, Chelsea or United. The first two are bankrolled by people with near bottomless pockets and United are a commercial powerhouse in a way we will never be.

Take Liverpool so. They’ve gone and done what I’d have loved us to do this summer.

Their revenue is 364m. Ours is 306m. We will virtually plug that gap with the new stadium if it brings in an extra 50m per year. Based on Arsenal’s match day revenue, it will bring in around that amount.

Liverpool’s tv money will grow from the latest accounts but so will ours. There’s will grow by more though given they got to the CL final. However, we should see an upturn in commercial revenue to offset some of that. Either way we are in the same league as them with the new stadium yet they’re a long way ahead of us this window.

They spend 57% of turnover on wages. We spend 42%.

That’s the difference. Take a risk, be brave or continue to be risk averse.

Even Jose has said, publically, we are a rival. And he actively wants one of our players. You dont just decide not to compare us because it suits you, they are active competition.

Liverpool have a huge sum left from the Coutinho sale to offset their spending.

I dont really want to go over this again and again all day. I am not going to agree with you that taking more risks is a good idea, especially when its spending against unearned revenue etc. And clearly you have convinced yourself its the only, way, so there seems little point in keeping this going.

Even Jose has said, publically, we are a rival. And he actively wants one of our players. You dont just decide not to compare us because it suits you, they are active competition.

Liverpool have a huge sum left from the Coutinho sale to offset their spending.

I dont really want to go over this again and again all day. I am not going to agree with you that taking more risks is a good idea, especially when its spending against unearned revenue etc. And clearly you have convinced yourself its the only, way, so there seems little point in keeping this going.

Jose says lots of crazy things. We can’t compete with United in the market. They’re richer than we’ll ever be. Likewise City and Chelsea. If they want to blow us out of the water they will as long as the Russian and Arabs stick around.

But there are enough players going around that will improve us that those three won’t buy. We can compete with Arsenal and Liverpool whereas a lot of people on here think we can’t.

Van Dijk and Allison wiped out the Coutinho fee and upped their wage bill. And they’ve signed more than that.

Likewise, it’s a stretch to say that we’re like Fergie’s sides and need only one quality addition. We’ve won nowt.

We’ll agree to disagree but I’ll make this prediction and hope I’m wrong. If we don’t bring in some quality by the end of the week, we’ll finish outside the top 4. This time next year, you’ll start to see the house of cards crumble. Not in a way that will destroy us or even bring us back to Sugar-era Spurs, Levy has run the club too solidly for that. But you'll start to see an exodus next summer and we’ll struggle to get ourselves back into the top 4.

Jose says lots of crazy things. We can’t compete with United in the market. They’re richer than we’ll ever be. Likewise City and Chelsea. If they want to blow us out of the water they will as long as the Russian and Arabs stick around.

But there are enough players going around that will improve us that those three won’t buy. We can compete with Arsenal and Liverpool whereas a lot of people on here think we can’t.

Van Dijk and Allison wiped out the Coutinho fee and upped their wage bill. And they’ve signed more than that.

Likewise, it’s a stretch to say that we’re like Fergie’s sides and need only one quality addition. We’ve won nowt.

We’ll agree to disagree but I’ll make this prediction and hope I’m wrong. If we don’t bring in some quality by the end of the week, we’ll finish outside the top 4. This time next year, you’ll start to see the house of cards crumble. Not in a way that will destroy us or even bring us back to Sugar-era Spurs, Levy has run the club too solidly for that. But you'll start to see an exodus next summer and we’ll struggle to get ourselves back into the top 4.
So what amazing business have Chelsea and Arsenal done to elevate themselves above us? I do think Arsenal will be stronger with their new coach but enough to overtake us? Nah....

So what amazing business have Chelsea and Arsenal done to elevate themselves above us? I do think Arsenal will be stronger with their new coach but enough to overtake us? Nah....

They’ve got Jorginho in and they’ll get more. They may lose the keeper though.

Arsenal have brought in 3 or 4. Both sides have also had a change of manager so they’re unknown quantities. Chelsea was a brickshow last year because the club was in disarray after Christmas last season.

I also think that by doing nothing (and potentially losing Toby, Rose and/or Dembele) could set us back.

Let’s see. It’s just a prediction. I have been known to be wrong before. :)

They’ve got Jorginho in and they’ll get more. They may lose the keeper though.

Arsenal have brought in 3 or 4. Both sides have also had a change of manager so they’re unknown quantities. Chelsea was a brickshow last year because the club was in disarray after Christmas last season.

I also think that by doing nothing (and potentially losing Toby, Rose and/or Dembele) could set us back.

Let’s see. It’s just a prediction. I have been known to be wrong before. :)
Of course, we are all predicting - But Arsenal havent bought in anyone who would improve us, I accept Emry will do well for them but its a bit far fetched to suggest they will overtake us this year.

As for Chelsea Jorginho is a good signing, but lets see what their squad ends up like - right now youre just guessing....

As you say its stupid to spend what we have not got YET, anyone who says its not has no idea how to run a sucessfull buisness.

We do probably need 1 or 2 signings to make a big difference. We need quality signings though - a level above even Wanyama and Sanchez.

I wouldn’t compare us to City, Chelsea or United. The first two are bankrolled by people with near bottomless pockets and United are a commercial powerhouse in a way we will never be.

Take Liverpool so. They’ve gone and done what I’d have loved us to do this summer.

Their revenue is 364m. Ours is 306m. We will virtually plug that gap with the new stadium if it brings in an extra 50m per year. Based on Arsenal’s match day revenue, it will bring in around that amount.

Liverpool’s tv money will grow from the latest accounts but so will ours. There’s will grow by more though given they got to the CL final. However, we should see an upturn in commercial revenue to offset some of that. Either way we are in the same league as them with the new stadium yet they’re a long way ahead of us this window.

They spend 57% of turnover on wages. We spend 42%.

That’s the difference. Take a risk, be brave or continue to be risk averse.
Lollerpool don't have to finance a new stadium, though. That could be a 10% difference. And let's not forget the new contracts we renewed and players we still have to renew, which will bump up that 42% number.

As you say its stupid to spend what we have not got YET, anyone who says its not has no idea how to run a sucessfull buisness.

Our projected season ticket sales will be being used in advance. Not sue how many years will be used though!
Season ticket mortgaging is quite common way of raising finance.

Our projected season ticket sales will be being used in advance. Not sue how many years will be used though!
Season ticket mortgaging is quite common way of raising finance.

Its a gamble though, its taking funds from later for now - and if it doesnt work now you are stuffed for years.

As I said previously - look at Everton:
The first Adam & Co loan was drawn last October and the second last month, meaning that Everton now have a total of 12 outstanding loans against their
property and assets. Most significant among them is a £30m loan from the Prudential which will cost £68m to repay over a 25-year term and "will be repaid in a securitisation agreement serviced by future season-ticket sales and match-day ticket sales".

They gave that money to Moyes, he tinkled it up the wall, and until the take over they were basically unable to compete in the market thereafter with all this debt to service hanging over them.

Back