• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

As I said, it really depends on how the club view these things.

Of course, getting as much as possible is always preferable. It will have to be weighed against the HG/further wages/bloated squad/depreciating price issues as well.

Dembele, for example, might be a £15m player to us. We refuse £10m this summer. We then have at least 4 months paying his wages, while he probably doesnt play much. Or, even, retaining him impact our ability to get in players we really want.

How much is that extra £5m really worth?
I'm pretty sure the club views it as being better to receive a higher fee regardless of if a player is fully amortized or not. Calling it a loss to fail to maximize the fee seems like a good enough description in either situation.

What is a good enough fee to sell is a different question, depending on several factors including those you mention.

It wasn't meant to come across as whining, more of frustration at a lack of transfer activity, not really a controversial opinion If we're being honest. Some comments levelled against people who are critical of our transfer policy could also be construed as whining or narky but I won't go as far as to say that. I just don't see why fans on forums and social media have to shout down other fans who show frustration or offer constructive criticism. Whether it's the intetnion or not, it comes across like they think that makes them better fans because they back the club 400% on everything. I'm not happy with this window so far but I also fully accept there are still 3 days left for us to turn it around and pull something out of the bag. I also accept that some comments are OTT and premature and can see why they would get short shrift on a football forum.

For the record, I was quite critical of Levy up until a couple of years ago but there's not a chairman in the Premier League I'd swap him for given our resources. I won't go as far as to say he's the best in Europe because I don't follow the other leagues in Europe as much as I used to. I've changed my opinion of him but that doesn't mean he's immune from criticism or that we can't improve the way we do things. That's the same in any walk of like mate. If you do the same things in the same manner over and over, for the most part you will get the same results. That doesn't mean I think our results are bad by the way.

Great post. I see stuff calling critics “whining maggots” or saying they are “throwing their toys out of the pram.” It’s nonsense.

It’s possible to be a big fan of Levy but think he gets some stuff wrong. Personally, unless he pulls off a couple of spectacular signings (Kovacic, Martial for example), I think he’s gotten it wrong in this window. And I say that as someone who thinks he will make a couple of signings before the end of the week but I’m not convinced they’ll be at the right level.

Everyone in the public eye is open for criticism. Pochettino, for example, is the best manager we’ve had in my lifetime by far but even he makes mistakes (Son at left back, Juve in the 2nd leg). Because he’s a public figure, he’s liable to criticism for it.

It’s a discussion forum. People will have different opinions and some will be negative. Doesn’t mean anyone is having a meltdown, throwing their toys out of the pram or is a whining maggot.

Great post. I see stuff calling critics “whining maggots” or saying they are “throwing their toys out of the pram.” It’s nonsense.

It’s possible to be a big fan of Levy but think he gets some stuff wrong

It’s a discussion forum. People will have different opinions and some will be negative. Doesn’t mean anyone is having a meltdown, throwing their toys out of the pram or is a whining maggot.

This is so spot on

I said last week about thinking the transfer window had been poor and was accused of being over the top and the like, which i was not, was clearly saying I support Levy and Poch but this window has been poor. And I maintain that and its not meant OTT or throwing toys out of pram.

Then people accuse you of wanting signings for signing sake and thne you get the "you don't know whats gone on".

Seems like Saudi Sportswashing Machine are getting Rondon on a season swap with Gayle going the other way. We could have given them Llorente for Rondon.

No one is above reproach, no one.
But the criticism can become baseless until we know the facts.
From our distant position, we can only surmise as to where any blame, if there is indeed any, lies.

We’ll never know all the facts so we can only form an opinion based on what’s in the public domain. As long as the criticism is a logical argument based on that, it’s valid on a forum like this and the critic shouldn’t be subject to abuse.

I sometimes get the sense people think critics are sitting behind a screen tearing their hair out and throwing tea cups against walls because we haven’t signed anyone. I’m frustrated and annoyed but I’ve enough going on in life that it’s not going to cause me too much concern. I’ve also supported this club through enough sh1te to not get too upset by a bad transfer window. Regardless of what happens, I’ll be a Spurs fan as long as my arse looks south and there will be good spells and bad spells in that time.

I just think we’ve a great chance to push on here by building on what we have and the chairman appears to be too risk averse to capitalize on it.

I sometimes get the sense people think critics are sitting behind a screen tearing their hair out and throwing tea cups against walls because we haven’t signed anyone. .

Haha this is so true

People translate "I think we have been poor this window" as hysteria.

Its far from it.

It’s possible to be a big fan of Levy but think he gets some stuff wrong. Personally, unless he pulls off a couple of spectacular signings (Kovacic, Martial for example), I think he’s gotten it wrong in this window. And I say that as someone who thinks he will make a couple of signings before the end of the week but I’m not convinced they’ll be at the right level.

Everyone in the public eye is open for criticism. Pochettino, for example, is the best manager we’ve had in my lifetime by far but even he makes mistakes (Son at left back, Juve in the 2nd leg). Because he’s a public figure, he’s liable to criticism for it.

great post

Back