• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Neither were Sissy and Llorente, but we always make one late signing like that
And I have it to confess at the time I thought ‘better than nothing’ or at least a physical option to bring from the bench as we hadn’t made any move in the market. Obviously if feel differently now, there is a little bit of buy cheap, buy twice but Sissoko was bloody expensive at the time and neither would appear to have the usual sell on value whilst earning a bigger wage than some of those who have been at the club for longer.

There seems to be a healthy understanding of the fact that we have top 3 requirements in a league with 5 bigger budgets..there’s arguably only 10 clubs in Europe that can offer more wages or almost guarantee pots but we are shopping for the same level of player as these clubs many of whom dont have to budget. The point was made about Atletico and Dortmund both clubs who’s philosophy I admire but they are almost guaranteed to qualify for CL and have fewer rivals to compete with domestically.

The only time we really did assertive transfer business recently was in lieu of the Bale money.

If we are just waiting to strengthen with a top quality addition that’s understandable, my concern now is if we lose Toby and Moussa, maybe even Rose towards the end of the window then we are playing catch-up with their replacements (in terms of their potential quality and integration)

Not really.

The selling club is now in control.

They won’t sell for under what they want.

If palace want 75 million for Zaha they are under no pressure to sell for less

Nothing has changed, its the same as it ever was.

For a transfer to happen both clubs need to meet at a price they are willing to accept.

The selling club can ask for whatever they want, but if they are to sell it will only be at a price the buying club feels is fair.

And the threat of "no deal" is not a new idea, is it.

Kevin Mirallas

Cheap, available, versatile WF/CF, another for the Dutch contingent, Poch seemingly wanted him 2-3 years ago, a better option than Nkoudou and Sissy.

This summer's Llorente signing?

Get the fudge out - Chadli MKII. I doubt we would look twice at him.

Neither were Sissy and Llorente, but we always make one late signing like that

I still maintain, Llorente was a smart buy. A little out of the box, but I liked it at the time. A wily old fox able to come in and offer something a a little different. Someone with all the experience in the world, off the back of a reasonable season.

I thought it was an intelligent move, clearly though it just didnt work out.

Sissoko I never understood, I still think he is simply not the player we thought we were getting - but how that happens in this day and age I cant fathom...

I still maintain, Llorente was a smart buy. A little out of the box, but I liked it at the time. A wily old fox able to come in and offer something a a little different. Someone with all the experience in the world, off the back of a reasonable season.

I thought it was an intelligent move, clearly though it just didnt work out.

Sissoko I never understood, I still think he is simply not the player we thought we were getting - but how that happens in this day and age I cant fathom...

Anyone who watched Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the years before would have been able to tell you what type of a player he was.

I'm glad that cohort of senior scouts were roundly dismissed soon after

The only time we really did assertive transfer business recently was in lieu of the Bale money.

Sanchez was assertive. Record signing, excellent player, young with lots of potential. If we could repeat the trick in CM and somewhere in the attacking mix, everyone would be delighted. If we could do it in just one of those (Martial, I guess), that would be assertive enough for most.

Sanchez was assertive. Record signing, excellent player, young with lots of potential. If we could repeat the trick in CM and somewhere in the attacking mix, everyone would be delighted. If we could do it in just one of those (Martial, I guess), that would be assertive enough for most.

Quality not quantity is what good teams do

I'd be delighted with Kovacic in for Dembele (Janssen and Nkoudou) as the sole bit of business this summer

I'd go for a quality companion for Dier as my priority.
Not too bothered by anything else.
Grealish would be good as well but not a priority.
Llorente could stay and it would not bother me.
Think the sales will look after themselves, to hard to call from where we sit.
Zaha and Martial, I'm alakefic, as my dad used to say, about both.

Baldini was very good at getting deals done. He is the type of schmoozer you need, working with agents and clubs. It takes the pressure off the manager and the chairman or owner doesn't have to get involved until the very last stages.

What is our set up now? We don't have a dof, Mitchell has also gone without being replaced, it does seem like it's all down to Poch and Levy plus a few scouts.

and the new stadium

If west spam go for Gomez I will be tinkled. The kid is going to be special, not sure he would fit in here and think we need a striker like son who can play two positions.

Don't want west ham getting him though.

Aha Gomes not Gomez

Danish called him a kid though, Andre Gomes is in his twenties isn't he and he is a midfielder not an attacking forward, so what's he got to do with "needing a striker like Son who can play two positions" :confused:

:)

He said "AND needing a striker like"

Back