• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

New Tottenham stadium 'not possible' without 2011 London riots

Tottenham's new stadium would not have been possible without the 2011 London riots, according to the club's executive director Donna-Maria Cullen, who said the venue's September opening ceremony would celebrate the area's recovery from the unrest.

Cullen - a driving force behind the stadium project - said she and Daniel Levy, the Spurs chairman, were "on our knees" back in 2011, as they struggled to keep the club in Tottenham, after losing the bidding for the Olympic Stadium in Stratford to West Ham.

In January of that year, Levy claimed remaining in Tottenham was "not viable" given spiralling costs and the demands placed on the club by Haringey Council, Transport for London and English Heritage.

But six weeks after the riots, which began in Tottenham on August 6 and quickly spread to other parts of the capital, the club was granted planning permission.

Cullen said: "Maybe we were mad (to stay in Tottenham]. We are all on our knees - I was in San Diego on holiday and I think Daniel was in Florida.

"The riots happened in Tottenham. We had a telephone conversation and we said, 'That's it - we stay in Tottenham'. Something good always comes from something bad.

"All of a sudden there's focus from local regional and national government. We'd banged our heads against that brick wall for so long. Nobody would have spent money in an area that had no commitment from government to support infrastructure and transport.

"As soon as we had the riots everyone came back around the table and it was something we could do. We always wanted to stay in Tottenham."

The riots left parts of Tottenham around White Hart Lane devastated but, seven years later, Spurs are on the cusp of completing their 62,000-seater new stadium, which they hope will be another regenerative spark for one of the poorest areas of London - described by Cullen as "the ripple effect".

The ground will open with a ceremony ahead of the Premier League fixture against Liverpool on September 15 - provided they earn a safety certificate after two tests events.

"It (the opening ceremony) is also a nod to area, to the riots, to literally this is now a fresh start for everyone. Our roots are all over that stadium," Cullen said.
Asked if it would be comparable to the London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony, she added: "No, not quite on that scale.

"Like the (White Hart Lane) finale, I like to reduce the number of moving parts, because you never know what's gong to happen...like a pitch invasion! Then you can just work around it."

She also ruled out Levy parachuting into the ceremony - as Daniel Craig did in character as James Bond in London's Danny Boyle-directed curtain-raiser.

"We are so worn down by the sheer effort of delivering it," Cullen added of the stadium, which will cost "£350-400million" - with the overall Northumberland Park project, including a hotel and nearly 600 new homes at closer to £850m.

"But it is really quite something. When you do walk into that bowl, it's like a coliseum. You'll have seen Hugo (Lloris) and Harry Kane's faces - there's nothing manufactured about that. It's going to be hard not to feel the crowd there and for it not to be a great home territory and somewhere where hopefully away teams won't like to come.

"We're doing loads of touches that will bring us back from White Hart Lane. You've got to keep it real and authentic. You've got to pitch it so that a fan walks in and they know they're in a feisty football stadium, but it is about just having more comfort really when you watch football.

"It's the little touches. We had some design work that was going to cover the concourse floor and I said, 'No, don't do it'. The floor is unbelievable and it's made of crushed White Hart Lane (bricks]."

For now, the venue will be called The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium but Cullen said discussions with potential naming rights partners were "ongoing", while she did not rule out 'Tottenham' remaining in the name.

Cullen also said that snagging work on the stadium would continue even after it has opened, explaining: "Don't underestimate what a huge task we took on in order not to have a second season at Wembley.

"We are going to be saying to fans, 'We've got to where we've got to, come and enjoy and celebrate the opening but there will still be bits that we will want to do better, finish differently and complete'."

The quote in the middle there about the rough cost of the stadium itself is good. £400 million being the higher estimate of the price - which flies in the face of the casually huge figures being bandied around and also helps explain why naming rights weren't absolutely imperative to have in place by this stage.

The way all the Spurs players on tour are constantly wearing the Spurs Nike swoosh t-shirts makes me wonder if Nike see us as a priority marketing client. Could lend itself to a bigger role in the near future...

Last edited:
"She also ruled out Levy parachuting into the ceremony - as Daniel Craig did in character as James Bond in London's Danny Boyle-directed curtain-raiser."

:(

New Tottenham stadium 'not possible' without 2011 London riots

Tottenham's new stadium would not have been possible without the 2011 London riots, according to the club's executive director Donna-Maria Cullen, who said the venue's September opening ceremony would celebrate the area's recovery from the unrest.

Cullen - a driving force behind the stadium project - said she and Daniel Levy, the Spurs chairman, were "on our knees" back in 2011, as they struggled to keep the club in Tottenham, after losing the bidding for the Olympic Stadium in Stratford to West Ham.

In January of that year, Levy claimed remaining in Tottenham was "not viable" given spiralling costs and the demands placed on the club by Haringey Council, Transport for London and English Heritage.

But six weeks after the riots, which began in Tottenham on August 6 and quickly spread to other parts of the capital, the club was granted planning permission.

Cullen said: "Maybe we were mad (to stay in Tottenham]. We are all on our knees - I was in San Diego on holiday and I think Daniel was in Florida.

"The riots happened in Tottenham. We had a telephone conversation and we said, 'That's it - we stay in Tottenham'. Something good always comes from something bad.

"All of a sudden there's focus from local regional and national government. We'd banged our heads against that brick wall for so long. Nobody would have spent money in an area that had no commitment from government to support infrastructure and transport.

"As soon as we had the riots everyone came back around the table and it was something we could do. We always wanted to stay in Tottenham."

The riots left parts of Tottenham around White Hart Lane devastated but, seven years later, Spurs are on the cusp of completing their 62,000-seater new stadium, which they hope will be another regenerative spark for one of the poorest areas of London - described by Cullen as "the ripple effect".

The ground will open with a ceremony ahead of the Premier League fixture against Liverpool on September 15 - provided they earn a safety certificate after two tests events.

"It (the opening ceremony) is also a nod to area, to the riots, to literally this is now a fresh start for everyone. Our roots are all over that stadium," Cullen said.
Asked if it would be comparable to the London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony, she added: "No, not quite on that scale.

"Like the (White Hart Lane) finale, I like to reduce the number of moving parts, because you never know what's gong to happen...like a pitch invasion! Then you can just work around it."

She also ruled out Levy parachuting into the ceremony - as Daniel Craig did in character as James Bond in London's Danny Boyle-directed curtain-raiser.

"We are so worn down by the sheer effort of delivering it," Cullen added of the stadium, which will cost "£350-400million" - with the overall Northumberland Park project, including a hotel and nearly 600 new homes at closer to £850m.

"But it is really quite something. When you do walk into that bowl, it's like a coliseum. You'll have seen Hugo (Lloris) and Harry Kane's faces - there's nothing manufactured about that. It's going to be hard not to feel the crowd there and for it not to be a great home territory and somewhere where hopefully away teams won't like to come.

"We're doing loads of touches that will bring us back from White Hart Lane. You've got to keep it real and authentic. You've got to pitch it so that a fan walks in and they know they're in a feisty football stadium, but it is about just having more comfort really when you watch football.

"It's the little touches. We had some design work that was going to cover the concourse floor and I said, 'No, don't do it'. The floor is unbelievable and it's made of crushed White Hart Lane (bricks]."

For now, the venue will be called The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium but Cullen said discussions with potential naming rights partners were "ongoing", while she did not rule out 'Tottenham' remaining in the name.

Cullen also said that snagging work on the stadium would continue even after it has opened, explaining: "Don't underestimate what a huge task we took on in order not to have a second season at Wembley.

"We are going to be saying to fans, 'We've got to where we've got to, come and enjoy and celebrate the opening but there will still be bits that we will want to do better, finish differently and complete'."
I already posted the link in the time it took you to copy and paste the entire article ;)

Always said the overall cost of the project was what the headline figures refered too, rather than the stadium alone

I literally had a full blown argument with some people a while ago about this. It is the same with all developments like this.

I know both of us have trades backgrounds but neither have been management yet we understand the concept. Not sure why others can not grasp it.

Think more James Bond You Only Live Twice

latest

I'm going to be all confused when I go to the games as I will be used to singing "We're the Paxton, We're the Paxton." Now I shall be singing "We're the Park Lane, we're the Park Lane" for 45 minutes.

I experienced that at Wembley. Being behind the goal and singing "We're the Park Lane", I felt strangely disloyal to the Shelfside.

The strange thing you'll find moving from Paxton to Park Lane is that now you wont be the only one singing

And that's what worries me about having my ST in the north stand at NWHL.

There is zero chance of my ever calling it anything other than White Hart Lane. Like GB, I say brands belong on a cow's arse.

I totally get and respect this point of view.

As a counterpoint for consideration, Ally Gold did a rather nice little article a month or two back about why the personal connection he had with WHL meant that he'd have no issue with not referring to a new stadium by the same name. After reading that I was fully convinced of there being merit in both positions.

Edit: Found it - https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/tottenham-stadium-white-hart-lane-14773506

"For me White Hart Lane was the grand old theatre my father and I used to spend our afternoons in. Like him, it is now gone and that will always of course bring sadness despite the wonderful memories left behind."

Last edited:
Back