• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

[@HLNSport] now understands Tottenham Hotspur centre-back Toby Alderweireld could decide to use legality a issue in his current Spurs contract to force a transfer away from the club before the closing of the summer window.

I have no idea how reliable the source is but if there is even an inkling of truth that Toby is considering that legality route, then it is a fair assumption that relations with Poch in particular (and the club in general) have reached a nadir and there would seem to be very little chance of a way back. Whatever the rights and wrongs of behaviour by either side, I feel incredibly disappointed that not only will Toby be leaving , but after being such a key part of our defence, his leaving will be on such a sour note.

I have no idea how reliable the source is but if there is even an inkling of truth that Toby is considering that legality route, then it is a fair assumption that relations with Poch in particular (and the club in general) have reached a nadir and there would seem to be very little chance of a way back. Whatever the rights and wrongs of behaviour by either side, I feel incredibly disappointed that not only will Toby be leaving , but after being such a key part of our defence, his leaving will be on such a sour note.

If Toby goes down that route he won’t be getting paid and will end up suspended

I seriously doubt it’s true

According to the back pages of tomorrows tabloids Maguire is off to Utd so where does that leave Spurs and Toby?

Saw this link earlier basically a Belgian journo pulled an article from 2016 questioning legality of a one sided option ... That's it.

No worries

Back together again.

If he did end up staying, would we play three CB's? Last season it seemed to me Poch is leaning towards Verts and Sanchez with Davies and Trippier on either side with two DM in front of them. Can't see Poch leaving Sanchez out, his pace is essential against top teams.

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the situation it should be remembered that shortly after Toby was recalled following injury last season he had a bit of a mare against Rochdale in an FA Cup tie, culminating in him gifting the equaliser to the struggling League 1 outfit with an uncharacteristically weak header that fell straight into the path of their scorer.

Sounds brutal given his excellent form prior to injuring his hamstring against RM but maybe Poch was right to use him so sparingly after that Rochdale game, especially considering that without him the team went on to win 7 of their next 8 games.

He wasnt half as good as he usually is in almost all performances back from injury. I think its pretty fair to assume he simply wasnt up to first team football at the time.

If he did end up staying, would we play three CB's? Last season it seemed to me Poch is leaning towards Verts and Sanchez with Davies and Trippier on either side with two DM in front of them. Can't see Poch leaving Sanchez out, his pace is essential against top teams.

We started last season with Vertonghen - Sanchez - Alderweireld, notable to me because I expected Sanchez on the right side but it worked very well with both Vertonghen and Alderweireld able to play out from the back with Sanchez well positioned to cover them.

Alderweirelds injury saw the end of that.

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see us start the season the same way should he stay with us.

Toby although a top quality defender, has got a history of playing for himself either money or trophy wise and isnt afraid to play hardball.

Ran down Ajax contract to further career
Kinda walked away from Southampton when Athletico sensed they could get more money, and he could get a bigger move
Ran down Tottenham contract to further career

Dont blame him at all, but i dont see much the club can do when a player sees them as a stepping stone

I think if we want to see Trippier play to his W/C form we have to play 3 CB. Trippier is not as good in a back four ( he struggles against top wide players). IMO

I think Man U are deliberately leaving it late making a proper bid but he will go there, probably after next week and probably leaving us without enough time to sign a replacement.

I think Man U are deliberately leaving it late making a proper bid but he will go there, probably after next week and probably leaving us without enough time to sign a replacement.

I rate Maguire, but Leicester wanting £80 million for him shows £65 million for Toby will not get a decent replacement.

I rate Maguire, but Leicester wanting £80 million for him shows £65 million for Toby will not get a decent replacement.

All that shows is that we won't be able to buy Maguire - plenty of other players out there that won't cost the earth

I’m a big Maguire admirer but £80m! Great example of the super inflation in the transfer market, I tend to think we must sit it out to greater extent because there is little value in market. Manchester and the super rich clubs must be allowed to get on with it.
Makes Sanchez look cheap, which he was not by the way.

I’m a big Maguire admirer but £80m! Great example of the super inflation in the transfer market, I tend to think we must sit it out to greater extent because there is little value in market. Manchester and the super rich clubs must be allowed to get on with it.
Makes Sanchez look cheap, which he was not by the way.

I think Ajax will be thinking they have been robbed.

Back