• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Deriding the national football team has became a national pastime.
With some of the poor displays over last few tournaments, I’m not too surprised. But I have always supported ‘my’ teams and always will.
There are some wise guys who like to be in the cool crowd in the pub and at work, supporting England was definitely not cool thanks in most part to our wonderful media.

Last edited:
If you really think this about Shearer then I wouldn't trust your judgement about anything to do with football.
I don't think Shearer was terrible, it's just been a very long time since he elbowed his way to a title then let the rest of his career drip away at some brickhole northern backwater.

Football has moved on a long way since then and even at his peak he wouldn't be able to do half of what Kane can and regularly does.

With some of the poor displays over last few tournaments, I’m not too surprised. But I have always supported ‘my’ teams and always will.
There are some wise guys who like to be in the cool crowd in the pub and at work, supporting England was definitely not cool thank in part to our wonderful media.

It was great last night, I don’t recall the atmosphere being so great and everyone being so behind an England team in a long time. No one was trying to be cool, no one was trying to be negative. Sure there were frustrations when things didn’t go our way but fundamentally everyone was all in. Great to see.

I don't think Shearer was terrible, it's just been a very long time since he elbowed his way to a title then let the rest of his career drip away at some brickhole northern backwater.

Football has moved on a long way since then and even at his peak he wouldn't be able to do half of what Kane can and regularly does.

Shearer was immense and yeah he was physical but it was an era when defenders were more too

379 goals at the highest level say he had a bit more to him than elbows.

379 goals.

As for your comments about Saudi Sportswashing Machine well there's no point debating with you with an attitude like that.

There are some wise guys who like to be in the cool crowd in the pub and at work, supporting England was definitely not cool thank in part to our wonderful media.

I used to love England when I was a kid, with Venables at Euro 96, then later on with Ghod in 2002(? think I got the year right). I think I lost interest a lot in the Sven era. I do like this Southgate team though, hope we can go on and cause an upset, think we'll fall short though.

Shearer was immense and yeah he was physical but it was an era when defenders were more too

He really was an incredible player, got to be in the top 3 all-time English strikers. Only really Greaves you could say was better, Lineker maybe for his international record. I think Harry will surpass him (but I would say that!)

Just because he's quite an annoying pundit, we shouldn't lose sight of what a gifted player he was.

It was great last night, I don’t recall the atmosphere being so great and everyone being so behind an England team in a long time. No one was trying to be cool, no one was trying to be negative. Sure there were frustrations when things didn’t go our way but fundamentally everyone was all in. Great to see.

THIS!!!!

379 goals.

As for your comments about Saudi Sportswashing Machine well there's no point debating with you with an attitude like that.

He was immense. Elbows? Yes. But what a forward!!! We'd all have crawled to Gateshead to get him in our shirt. I personally think Kane is on par to become the greatest English forward in the modern game, and I know one man who would be happy to see that happen if it results in a trophy for us, is Shearer himself. As for Saudi Sportswashing Machine? Personally I love the North and have had some great (and I mean GREAT) nights out in Saudi Sportswashing Machine. One of the best rubies I have ever had was in Wallsend!!!!!

Shearer was a phenominal striker. Even more impressive as he had to reinvent his game after his serious knee injury.

I was talking about Linekar, Shearer, Ferdinand and Lampard.

Only one celebrated a late winner.

The other three sat disinterested.

The other three have been seen going ape brick in the studio for their club sides, in games that were very bread and butter.

Please explain.

They didn't sit disinterested. Watch again and see the looks of happiness on their faces.
It seems like you're stretching a point beyond its limit here.

379 goals.

Shearer was a great striker and for any one to suggest otherwise is just plain daft.

Shearer was a phenominal striker. Even more impressive as he had to reinvent his game after his serious knee injury.
Shearer only played 16 games at the highest level.

Much like LeTissier, he was a very talented player who never got to prove himself during his best years as he chose to be a big fish in a small cesspool instead of challenging himself at a big club.

And my original point stands - Kane is significantly better. He can do everything Shearer could plus plenty he couldn't.

Great players would have been great in any era, to deride any old great is just plain stupid, I find it amazing when the mugs in the pub tell me Rooney was over rated, he may not have been at his best for England but then who was at the time he played and he still managed to score goals.

They didn't sit disinterested. Watch again and see the looks of happiness on their faces.
It seems like you're stretching a point beyond its limit here.

Hardly.

Ferdinand gives a mild "get in". The other two sit like lemons and Lineker goes ballistic.

You might think Im exaggerating their response for effect, the fact is their and Linekers reactions were chalk and cheese.

It's just a generational thing. Lineker is old school, brought up imbued with the spirit of 66 and all that, and the idea that playing in a World Cup was the pinnacle of a player's career. Lampard et al. are probably more likely to get excited about the identity of a new tournament sponsor.

Shearer only played 16 games at the highest level.

Much like LeTissier, he was a very talented player who never got to prove himself during his best years as he chose to be a big fish in a small cesspool instead of challenging himself at a big club.

And my original point stands - Kane is significantly better. He can do everything Shearer could plus plenty he couldn't.
Who let Adrian Durham in here?

I take it that those 16 games refer to his Champions' League outings with Blackburn (6 matches) and Saudi Sportswashing Machine (10). 7 goals and 2 assists isn't a bad record given the teams he was in.

What about the 11 matches (including 2 as a sub) spread over Euro '92, '96 and 2000 (7 goals, no assists)? Including the 4-1 against Holland -- if ever a university housemate was feeling down, one of us would nip to the library, get that out on VHS, and we'd crack open a few beers.

Or the 4 in the '98 World Cup (2 goals)?

What about the Prem matches against ManU, Arsenal and Liverpool?

Okay, your point still stands about a small proportion of Shearer's games being at the very top level, but that's the same for most players. I would rate scoring for the 00's Saudi Sportswashing Machine side against Fergie's ManU higher than CRonaldo banging in a hattrick for Real Madrid against Getafe, for example.

I also agree that Kane is better. But, for me, he's got to keep on doing it for at least another 3 or 4 seasons to be mentioned alongside Shearer.

Back