• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

I said it summed up their attitude from when they were players - England back then appeared to have no passion as a side and last night they appeared to have no passion as fans either (that's not to say they don't just that's how it looks) bet in 16 years time when Kanes on that sofa he'd be jumping around like Linekar.

FTFY

I said it summed up their attitude from when they were players - England back then appeared to have no passion as a side and last night they appeared to have no passion as fans either (that's not to say they don't just that's how it looks) bet in 15 years time when Kanes on that sofa he'd be jumping around like Linekar.
Understood. You're right, I cant imagine Kane being any other way. Looks like Germany are jealous of us:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...England-Harry-Kane-Tunisia-World-Cup-win.html

I said it summed up their attitude from when they were players - England back then appeared to have no passion as a side and last night they appeared to have no passion as fans either (that's not to say they don't just that's how it looks) bet in 15 years time when Kanes on that sofa he'd be jumping around like Linekar.

That team was all about the individual and his ego. Mostly a case of getting exposure and adulation. It was never an actual team.

Ferdinand, Lampard and Shearer all looked as if they were more concerned this team showed theirs (of their time) up, rather than just celebrating and getting behind them. They clearly werent that supportive.

Which all speaks to what you're saying. Could be reading into it to much, but it was a notable lack of response.

oDni3R6.jpg

"Looks like Clark Kent and plays like he's Superman"

Can't access the article but the pictute is worth posting

From the Wall Street Journal of all places - should do wonders for our exposure over there

That team was all about the individual and his ego. Mostly a case of getting exposure and adulation. It was never an actual team.

Ferdinand, Lampard and Shearer all looked as if they were more concerned this team showed theirs (of their time) up, rather than just celebrating and getting behind them. They clearly werent that supportive.

Which all speaks to what you're saying. Could be reading into it to much, but it was a notable lack of response.
I honestly think youre looking too much into things here. They beat Tunisia, its not like the golden generation didnt get better results than that at a Tournament - to suggest they werent celebrating thinking that performance had shown up their side is a bit of a stretch. If England were to win the World Cup and they were rooted to their seats then fair enough, but because they werent going crazy after beating Tunisia? I dont see it....

I honestly think youre looking too much into things here. They beat Tunisia, its not like the golden generation didnt get better results than that at a Tournament - to suggest they werent celebrating thinking that performance had shown up their side is a bit of a stretch. If England were to win the World Cup and they were rooted to their seats then fair enough, but because they werent going crazy after beating Tunisia? I dont see it....

Tunisia's gamesmanship was off the chart, time wasting, fouling, diving, and thats on top of the two clear penalties we were denied while their equaliser was soft by the pundits admission.

It was a last minute (virtually) goal to win a game we fully deserved to win but looked destined to draw. I dont care who it is, what competition it is, thats the sort of situation you go batbrick crazy in if its the team you support.

Nobody, in that moment, thinks "Its only Tunisia, not that big a deal".

Lineker went mad, because he was feeling the game, supporting the team, and understood the moment.

The others sat like manequins. If they really were thinking "Its only Tunisia" then Id suggest Billys point still stands.

These guys are all ego, and they looked like they had theirs bruised. Maybe it was something else, but whatever the excuse they clearly werent exactly behind the side.

Dunno about the bruised ego angle i just think they aren't very passionate about the national team compared to the current set of players and those from Linekars generation

I think there is something in the ego thing...I think ‘ego’ is a word that sums the golden generation up pretty well. You see Lampard get a bit snippy when pressed on the club rivalry point - he’s told Barca and Madrid players have no problem and he’s like ‘we they’re better than us’. Maybe, but those 3 key guys basically admitted they didn’t want to play together.

I think their ego and their self worth as players was so tied up in being ‘the man’ for their clubs that they didn’t like maybe having to sacrifice themselves for the team. Or maybe they didn’t build the close relationship that the current side have, which not only means you fight for each other, but also that when things aren’t going well you dig out your team mate who is under performing and you tell him to step back up. You can only do that with someone you have the right to do it with. More often than not if I’m on a team and someone I don’t think highly of doesn’t play well, I’m less likely to invest myself in getting hem to play better. I’m probably going to just be frustrated that I’m not in a better, more together side.

You see it now with Spurs. Our guys are mates but they will not let each other’s standards slip. The golden generation had no spirit. A team of egos and the great failing was that we never hired someone who could make a big decision to sort it out. Even Martinez leaving Nainggolan at home shows more of what we needed back then. But I think we were too in awe of the sponsor’s favourites.

There have been more structural reasons we have this spirit though. Great point raised by Rory Smith in the NYT interview with Dele - we stopped fast tracking good players to the senior side and allowed them to come up together as much as we could. That has certainly helped. But overall I wouldn’t be surprised if the likes of Lampard look at what is happening right now and feel a little embarrassed that they couldn’t have done better.

Tunisia's gamesmanship was off the chart, time wasting, fouling, diving, and thats on top of the two clear penalties we were denied while their equaliser was soft by the pundits admission.

It was a last minute (virtually) goal to win a game we fully deserved to win but looked destined to draw. I dont care who it is, what competition it is, thats the sort of situation you go batbrick crazy in if its the team you support.

Nobody, in that moment, thinks "Its only Tunisia, not that big a deal".

Lineker went mad, because he was feeling the game, supporting the team, and understood the moment.

The others sat like manequins. If they really were thinking "Its only Tunisia" then Id suggest Billys point still stands.

These guys are all ego, and they looked like they had theirs bruised. Maybe it was something else, but whatever the excuse they clearly werent exactly behind the side.
It was great to win, but I didnt find myself going mental - everyone is different in how they celebrate, I just think you're making too many assumptions based on that. Like Billy says you can say they lacked the passion (even though there are many ways of displaying that) but to say it was because their egos were bruised I just dont see. Shearer scored in a win against Germany in the Group stages of a tournament, Lampard and Rio have been to the knockouts of tournaments for England so I dont see how a lack of celebration suggests sour grapes or whatever else....

It was great to win, but I didnt find myself going mental - everyone is different in how they celebrate, I just think you're making too many assumptions based on that. Like Billy says you can say they lacked the passion (even though there are many ways of displaying that) but to say it was because their egos were bruised I just dont see. Shearer scored in a win against Germany in the Group stages of a tournament, Lampard and Rio have been to the knockouts of tournaments for England so I dont see how a lack of celebration suggests sour grapes or whatever else....

What does it suggest? It shows they arent supporters. Ive seen all three of them going mental when in the studio on one of their clubs games (and not even 'big' games at that). They didnt yesterday. Linker did. You explain then why that is.

What does it suggest? It shows they arent supporters. Ive seen all three of them going mental when in the studio on one of their clubs games (and not even 'big' games at that). They didnt yesterday. Linker did. You explain then why that is.
I said that everyone celebrates differently, I said I didnt leap out of my chair. Yet I still support them, and I can guarantee that there are plenty who support England and didnt go nuts when we scored. Had it been a knockout game I suspect I would have gone a bit more crazy but as it was I didnt find myself going crazy. You did? Great. But I dont think that shows that you are a supporter and Im not....

I said that everyone celebrates differently, I said I didnt leap out of my chair. Yet I still support them, and I can guarantee that there are plenty who support England and didnt go nuts when we scored. Had it been a knockout game I suspect I would have gone a bit more crazy but as it was I didnt find myself going crazy. You did? Great. But I dont think that shows that you are a supporter and Im not....

I was talking about Linekar, Shearer, Ferdinand and Lampard.

Only one celebrated a late winner.

The other three sat disinterested.

The other three have been seen going ape brick in the studio for their club sides, in games that were very bread and butter.

Please explain.

The other three have been seen going ape brick in the studio for their club sides, in games that were very bread and butter.

Please explain.

for me its pretty obvious, and also why there were schism's in previous squads, club football is so much more important than international football

it's different now because other than those at City and Spurs the squad is made up of players from tier 2 PL clubs who aren't really competing for anything

So they arent supportive of the team, but Lineker is? Just as has been stated.

I only speculated as to why. Ive been apathetic to the national team for a long time, I can understand that. Unlike them though, I dont profess to be a fan nor have I ever represented.

Please explain.
I have explained - We all celebrate differently.As I said previously I celebrate Spurs scoring a lot harder than I do England, as does literally everyone I know - I dont see why former players would be any different in that sense. Probably part of the problem when it comes to our national team....

I have explained - We all celebrate differently.As I said previously I celebrate Spurs scoring a lot harder than I do England, as does literally everyone I know - I dont see why former players would be any different in that sense. Probably part of the problem when it comes to our national team....

Fair enough. I think, personally, thats wrong. But no point arguing it all day.

Back