• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

I actually really like this because it shows the country is behind the team. I feel like it’s been a long time since people genuinely got behind players from other clubs and didn’t let tribal rivalries get in the way.

I think the whole Rio / Gerrard / Lampard omission that they couldn’t get along for England because of their clubs is actually pretty outrageous to be honest, and I’m surprised it hasn’t caused more of a stir. A decade of wasted talent because those guys couldn’t see the bigger picture.

Are you sure about that.....I don't know about other forums but check out the England group thread here

Most fans everywhere dislike players from other clubs.

I actually really like this because it shows the country is behind the team. I feel like it’s been a long time since people genuinely got behind players from other clubs and didn’t let tribal rivalries get in the way.

I think the whole Rio / Gerrard / Lampard omission that they couldn’t get along for England because of their clubs is actually pretty outrageous to be honest, and I’m surprised it hasn’t caused more of a stir. A decade of wasted talent because those guys couldn’t see the bigger picture.

Someone picked up on the reaction of the pundits when the winner went in - Linekar up on seat cheering the goal, Lampard and Rio barely made a peep which sums the attitude of the 'golden generation' up, this team has it's faults and probably doesn't have the quality of previous sides but if they continue to show the belief/passion/togetherness that we've seen from them so far that's something the country will get behind and with Harry as captain you know that's what he'll be demanding from the others.

Its been 20 years since I gave a brick about the England team.

This is the first time, in that time, I can see my attitude changing.
Its a bit like being a Spurs fan, you're so wary things can go tits up at any moment. Except Poch is steadily making that a distant memory so dare we hope that Gareth can do the same?

Still early doors.

Its a bit like being a Spurs fan, you're so wary things can go tits up at any moment. Except Poch is steadily making that a distant memory so dare we hope that Gareth can do the same?

Still early doors.

Not for me. Ive always been a Spurs fan, despite the mire we have been through.

My lack of interest in England wasnt because they were rubbish (they were) but because they werent striving to be a team.

They were a corporate/sponsorship cash cow with no intent on forging ahead on the footballing side. Just the commercial.

I lost all love for them when players like Scholes and Carrick were completely screwed just to keep Pepsi can darlings Gerrard and Lampard in the same team.

Someone picked up on the reaction of the pundits when the winner went in - Linekar up on seat cheering the goal, Lampard and Rio barely made a peep which sums the attitude of the 'golden generation' up, this team has it's faults and probably doesn't have the quality of previous sides but if they continue to show the belief/passion/togetherness that we've seen from them so far that's something the country will get behind and with Harry as captain you know that's what he'll be demanding from the others.

Exactly this. Me being Norwegian, I've always been a bit of an anglophile when it comes to international tournaments, but my interest in the England national team has dwindled considerably in the past decade or so. This team, however, despite being inexperienced and not as good individually as that golden generation, just looks so much more passionate and hungry about the whole World Cup thing than their predecessors ever did. That did it for me, and I now look forward to seeing more of England in this tournament.

You speak of inexperienced, I dont know if you noticed but commentary last night said this England squad collectively has the lowest amount of caps in the whole competition.

Trippier came in with just 8!

Yea that surprised me too, you can add Shearer to that lack of celebration as well. You can argue that it wasn’t a KO game and we still had 2 more to go, but it was still an important goal.

Yea that surprised me too, you can add Shearer to that lack of celebration as well. You can argue that it wasn’t a KO game and we still had 2 more to go, but it was still an important goal.
I know plenty of people who support Spurs and dont jump up when they score. Everyone celebrates differently....

Not just the importance, but the timing.

It was looking a bit like "same old England" with the huffing and puffing but ultimately failing, but they stayed calm, persevered, and got the result they deserved (as much as Ill complain about players/things in game, a win was 100% deserved).

That was a massive goal, a "monkey off the back" goal, and could in time become pivotal.

Only Lineker was able to celebrate what it was.

Ive seen Lampard and Ferdinand leaping around like idiots when covering Utd/Chelsea games, its not like they dont do it. So Im inclined to agree with the sour grapes line of thinking.

I know plenty of people who support Spurs and dont jump up when they score. Everyone celebrates differently....
Yep rio and Lampard celebrate differently when it’s Utd or Chelsea scoring.

It’s not even that big a deal for me, I wasn’t exactly running round the living room either, but I was still more animated than them. Just found it interesting.

Last edited:

Shearer secretly dislikes Harry imo.....Harry is chasing down Shearer's PL goal record and he will easily roar past Shearers England goal tally

Just pure fear and jealousy

Not for me. Ive always been a Spurs fan, despite the mire we have been through.

My lack of interest in England wasnt because they were rubbish (they were) but because they werent striving to be a team.

They were a corporate/sponsorship cash cow with no intent on forging ahead on the footballing side. Just the commercial.

I lost all love for them when players like Scholes and Carrick were completely screwed just to keep Pepsi can darlings Gerrard and Lampard in the same team.

Lost all interest with England during the SGE era pretty much for those reasons too - Rooney being given the elbow was the final nail in the coffin for that generation and I've been reasonably impressed with the spirit that Southgate has fostered in the time he has been in charge - couldn't care less how good they are and id happily cheer on a 'worse' England team as long as they show desire and pride to represent the country.

Yep rio and Lampard celebrate differently when it’s Utd or Chelsea scoring.

It’s not even that big a deal for me, I wasn’t exactly running round the living room either, but I was still more animated than them. Just found it interesting.
I celebrate a lot more when Spurs score than England, I dont know many who arent more passionate for their clubs than country in England - rightly or wrongly.

I just dont buy that as being some sort of evidence they dont support England....

Lost all interest with England during the SGE era pretty much for those reasons too - Rooney being given the elbow was the final nail in the coffin for that generation and I've been reasonably impressed with the spirit that Southgate has fostered in the time he has been in charge - couldn't care less how good they are and id happily cheer on a 'worse' England team as long as they show desire and pride to represent the country.

Exactly that. If they are putting in all the effort to be as good a team as they can be, if the players are picked to suit the team - not just shoe horned in - then Ill happily follow and support them.

Been a long time since thats been the case, but Southgate is definitely fostering that sort of ethos right now.

I dont agree with all of his moves/selections, but for the most part he is doing all the things I would want him to.

What is it you're implying about them for not celebrating hard enough then? I thought the discussion was to do with getting behind the team etc?

I said it summed up their attitude from when they were players - England back then appeared to have no passion as a side and last night they appeared to have no passion as fans either (that's not to say they don't just that's how it looks) bet in 15 years time when Kanes on that sofa he'd be jumping around like Linekar.

Back