• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

But he played poorly and was considered a disappointment, hence being pushed off to Soton. He was a big prospect in his Ajax days and arrived with a big reputation
Really? If he had such a big reputation then why did he cost only half of what Vertonghen cost us a year earlier from the same club? Also why did they bring him on in the CL final when defending a 1-0 lead? Are you just making things up again and stating them as fact?

My theory was based on the comments he made in some interview another poster posted.

And hey.....what he thinks now, and what his motivation is now might not be what it was when he was a teenager and in his early 20's

Fair enough but it was only just over a year ago he'd been voted into the team of the season, given us the best defensive record in the league and established himself as the finest CB in the league. For me I don't see the drop off.

Really? If he had such a big reputation then why did he cost only half of what Vertonghen cost us a year earlier from the same club? Also why did they bring him on in the CL final when defending a 1-0 lead? Are you just making things up again and stating them as fact?

He was half the price as he had a year left on his contract

They brought on an additional centre back to protect a lead but they still got spanked

No BIG club wanted him when he went SCBC hence why he went there

I agree Toby was the best In the league for 2 seasons but it doesn’t make him the patron saint of defenders .... that’s the KING

Last edited:

How times change. I remember GB saying that he was too slow for us and we would be better sticking with Fazio.

His performances didnt match his reputation. I am inclined to allow Toby to go based on Davinson's performance. Sanchez will get better this season. Toby wont. The only reason IMHO to keep Toby is to allow for time to groom the next CB so that we can have 3 solid CBs.

I wasn’t fussed about signing Toby as he had played midfield against us (as Wanyama was suspended) and played well enough by not outstanding

Having seen him in a spurs shirt naturally by tune has changed

But make no mistake there were not other big clubs clamouring for him back then and their doesn’t appear to be as many just yet either which is odd

I wasn’t fussed about signing Toby as he had played midfield against us (as Wanyama was suspended) and played well enough by not outstanding

Having seen him in a spurs shirt naturally by tune has changed

But make no mistake there were not other big clubs clamouring for him back then and their doesn’t appear to be as many just yet either which is odd
I suspect that clubs are waiting to see how he performs in the WC given his injury and lay off this season.
Agreed he was a little under the radar of the big boys at the time, either reflective of his time at Atletico, the desire for ‘statement’ signings that cost 40m from outside the prem or the trend that a lot of defenders look better due to the system (see Jonny Evans at wba and lovren.)

I suspect that clubs are waiting to see how he performs in the WC given his injury and lay off this season.
Agreed he was a little under the radar of the big boys at the time, either reflective of his time at Atletico, the desire for ‘statement’ signings that cost 40m from outside the prem or the trend that a lot of defenders look better due to the system (see Jonny Evans at wba and lovren.)

At the time we paid a fair price and CBS were not going for crazy money elsewhere

It is always interesting going back and reading the player threads from before they sign

https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/toby-alderweireld.4889/page-2

Looking through that thread reveals some classic comments early on. I'll leave you to decide who wrote them.

"I prefer Fazio to Alderweireld myself. There's not much between them - similar pace and quality, but Fazio's more dominant in the air".

"Alderweireld really is dog slow. Perhaps it just didn't show as much as Soton defend much deeper under Koeman".

"I really don't want this player. I don't gave a flying fudge if is best mates with 'Verts'".

Looking through that thread reveals some classic comments early on. I'll leave you to decide who wrote them.

"I prefer Fazio to Alderweireld myself. There's not much between them - similar pace and quality, but Fazio's more dominant in the air".

"Alderweireld really is dog slow. Perhaps it just didn't show as much as Soton defend much deeper under Koeman".

"I really don't want this player. I don't gave a flying fudge if is best mates with 'Verts'".

First one has to be @gutterboy?

Just goes to show Id rather back whatever Poch wants over the opinions of people on here (myself included).....

Express

Man Utd transfer news: Ed Woodward set to launch Toby Alderweireld move after development
MANCHESTER UNITED are preparing to make their move for Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld now that Belgium have been knocked out of the World Cup.
By BRUCE ARCHER
PUBLISHED: 08:05, Wed, Jul 11, 2018 | UPDATED: 09:14, Wed, Jul 11, 2018

Belgium were beaten by France last night but will stay in Russia for the third and fourth place play off on Saturday.

They will face Croatia or England depending on how tonight goes in the second World Cupsemi-final.

But Manchester United are ready to make their move for the Tottenham man after identifying him as a top target for this summer.

Jose Mourinho has prioritised a central defender, after already landing a midfielder and a young right-back, and wants someone with Premier League pedigree.

Alderweireld, despite being 29, fits the bill and United will get the ball rolling on an offer this week.

Mourinho originally wanted to get his deals done before the World Cup but United found negotiations with Tottenham tough.

However they will make their move this week in the hope to get the deal complete by the end of July.

Alderweireld has a clause in his contract that means he could be signed for as little £25m next summer unless he agrees a new deal, meaning the club are keen to sell this year to maximise their profits.

Tottenham want £60m for the Belgium star but United are hoping to pay around the £50m mark.

United’s other options include Raphael Varane and Clement Lenglet, although they have also been priced as favourites to sign Harry Maguire this summer.

United have already done three deals in signing Fred, Diogo Dalot and Lee Grant, but are set to ramp up their spending in the coming weeks.

A centre-back is the top priority while another forward, with Willian first choice, comes next.

Mourinho is ready to wait until next season to sign a new left-back despite trying to sign Sandro from Juventus.

There is a chance United will gauge Juve’s desire to sell again after they agreed the deal to sign Ronaldo from Real Madrid.

But otherwise Mourinho will give Luke Shaw another chance and stick with Ashley Young as first choice.

A number of fringe players are expected to leave United with Ajax keen on Daley Blind and Matteo Darmian linked with a move back to Italy.

Anthony Martial’s future remains uncertain with United keen to keep him but the player wanting to move.

Tottenham have shown interest in Martial and have floated the idea of a swap involving Alderweireld but United have resisted so far.

As said before, no Martial means no Toby.
Youre making the assumption Poch actually wants him now. Yes we originally wanted Marital three years ago but since then we have signed other AMs. Theres been nothing to suggest we are actually interested in him now beyond the usual and predicatable tentative links. Man Utd will likely get Toby if they pay the standard Levy tax....

Back