• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Group G (Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is in St Petersburg I recommend a visit to the Siege of Leningrad museum. Something like 750,000 died in the blockade. Harrowing.

And on taxis - anyone reading this going to Moscow and planning on getting a taxi into the city : do NOT get a taxi from the airport via an "Official Taxi" desk (aka rip-off desk), of which there are plenty, as well as loads of taxi staff waiting to pounce. Depending on the terminal there will be either a Gett or a Yandex desk. Find that and book from there.
Yeah, I agree with every word.
Taxi drivers who're waiting near arrival points usually make ~x2 rate of normal price for russian citizens but for tourists who will come for WC it might be x4-x5 or even more. Usually these drivers are from Caucasus or nearest Middle Asia.
Also there should be an option to call taxi via mobile app and pay with credit card or cash which amount will be known and fixed to you.

Yeah, a known turning point of the hole WWII, the battle for Stalingrad which lasted for more than half a year and had more than 1m people deaths.

Moscow became even better in the last couple of years. All the money is flowing here. Will be an amazing experience for European citizens with average wealth. Even if the prices go higher with the start of the tournament, still they will have a very good value for you. But be aware of taxi drivers: there we're already several known cases during last month's when they were cheating with price calling (I think a couple of arsenal fans got fooled recently).
Current pound stock changing rate is 82.5. So you should try finding 81-81.5 changing rate for one rouble.
Euro 72.5, USD 62.
Average day price for taxi is 300-900 roubles considering the length of the trip. At night prices usually go higher but not much. x1,5 rate usually at max. The trip from/to the airport at low season start from 900 roubles up to 1500. However they can/should go higher soon, but never pay x2,5-3 or more from that. Also many sorts of known taxi services are presented: f.e. uber, gett. Also we have huge Russian service yandex.taxi.
Other cities hosting WC should have them as well.

However, in most cases using metro will be better and cheaper (except pick hours may be). In Moscow you'll also have a huge railway (Moscow central ring), which connects many metro stations and gives you ability to travel much faster between different districts of the city.

Hopefully you come and enjoy your stay :)

My mum has just come back from a visit to Moscow (and a trip to St Petersburg by train). Absolutely loved it.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

@Hidden real bonus with the Goon fans! Uber or Yandex app was awesome for taxis, shouldn't be ripped off with them. Metro is a must, where else are there chandeliers and frescos on the Metro!? At some point on here we'll have to do the Russia war thing. Hard to get your head around how many Russians gave their lives to defeat Nazism. I saw something, a march, with people carrying a photo of their relative who fought...
I recommend all who's going to visit Moscow to have a look at he official city's site which has an English version: https://www.mos.ru/en/ . Surely you'll find a lot of helpful information there.
Moscow metro stations are still unique and as far as I know there are no identical ones.
Pretty much every station inside or on Ring (Kolcevaya) line has frescos, monuments, unique architecture and design. My favourite ones will be Komsomolskaya (I pass it every day), Kievskaya, Novoslobodskaya, Ploshad Revolucii.
You can even find prehistorical creatures in metro columns on about 50 stations, f.e. this nautilus on Dobrininskaya station:

Attachments

• dobrininskaya_1.JPG
    dobrininskaya_1.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
By the way, currently the weather is amazing in Moscow and on the opening day its gonna be about 25 degrees. And on the opening day for England plus 33 degrees are reckoned in Volgograd. I think many myths about Russia will be perished during first several days :)

Also I've found a solid Volgograd stadium observation on English: www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH9ivdnbYHg
However, not all things which were done and should be known are mentioned in the video and I'll try to add them to this post later this evening.

Off to Volgograd on train this evening, just after Argentina - Iceland game which should be an amazing fest: ideal weather in Moscow, city is fully prepared for WC, lots of fans and tourists from all parts off the world, amazing atmosphere and hospitality.
If anybody registered on the forum or just its readers is going to Volgograd, message me - we'll pick you up there.

By the way, Moscow metro is officially the best underground in the world:

Attachments

• 20180615_211846.jpg
    20180615_211846.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Off to Volgograd on train this evening, just after Argentina - Iceland game which should be an amazing fest: ideal weather in Moscow, city is fully prepared for WC, lots of fans and tourists from all parts off the world, amazing atmosphere and hospitality.
If anybody registered on the forum or just its readers is going to Volgograd, message me - will pick you up there.

Have a safe journey and a great time.....hopefully you see a Harry hat trick

So, if Mexico win group F and Brazil win group E then you'd have a situation where the the winners of Englands group would play Germany or Brazil in the quarters, whereas the runners-up would play Mexico or maybe Serbia.

Obviously a lot could change, but coming 2nd would probably do us a favour!

Edit: Cue England winning every game and then playing Brazil :)

So, if Mexico win group F and Brazil win group E then you'd have a situation where the the winners of Englands group would play Germany or Brazil in the quarters, whereas the runners-up would play Mexico or maybe Serbia.

Obviously a lot could change, but coming 2nd would probably do us a favour!

Edit: Cue England winning every game and then playing Brazil :)
Southgate's way ahead of you.

We took Henderson for a reason

If anybody registered on the forum or just its readers is going to Volgograd, message me - we'll pick you up there.

TalkSPORT we’re talking about the underground and said it was the best they had seen

I thought it was quite funny.

But I still wish they hadn't made it. Too much tempting of fate before we have even kicked a ball.

They had to show it now, or not at all!

I don’t know. I’ve a feeling England might do better than most people are expecting. There’s just a few basics they’ve got to get right from the start though.

For me, it’ll come down to whether they can hold and give and do it at the right time; they can be slow or fast but they must get to the line; Tunisia will look to hit them and hurt them, so defend and attack; there’s only going to be one way to beat them - get round the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back