• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matthijs De Ligt

In the league what cost us was not turning dominant performances into wins...

I agree in Europe the defence cost us in the end

In the cup... debatable
Yes, but in all bar the Swansea game we scored, so better defense would have gotten us all 3 points.

Yes, but in all bar the Swansea game we scored, so better defense would have gotten us all 3 points.

I don’t agree personally but that’s just my opinion

Arguably a better attack would have taken more of the chances we had as teams generally have less chances against us than we do them...

Rio Ferdinand ......Leeds from West Ham.........the gamble didn't seem a particularly big one as it was clear Ferdinand had everything required to be a top class centre half.
It was quite a big gamble because Rio had been caught out multiple times trying to dribble / be clever / take a man on / lose concentration.
Very comparable to the John Stones transfer nowadays where half the country say he is going to be brilliant in future whilst half the country say he is a liability and not a natural defender.

I'm not massively fussed whether we spend the money on De Ligt or Martial or similar "properly high level player" i.e. someone to play nearly every week... that is what I want, not 2 small buys with potential, we already have plenty of that.

Im thinking ‘the big players’ people are hankering for maybe a little out of our financial reach ATM as we will be looking to secure what have with likes of Eriksen,Kane and Dele.

Im thinking ‘the big players’ people are hankering for maybe a little out of our financial reach ATM as we will be looking to secure what have with likes of Eriksen,Kane and Dele.

I feel we are at the stage when we can now do both. We need a couple of top quality additions to complement our existing squad. Given that we are also expecting quite a few outgoings - the salary savings offered and the fees gained, should enable us to at least get the same/similar players for the ones we lose - except less of them!

For example, we really no longer need a Janssen, NKD or Llorente. Their transfers and savings on pay are effectively a bonus. If Dembele, Rose and Toby decide to leave - the savings on their pay and transfer funds received (from them and the others), should at least allow us to fill the holes in the squad with similar players.

I would love to do both.
But as we have seen today with Harry deserved bumper new deal, I believe our priority is retention first.
Fingers crossed we get some new blood as its vital.
My concern is some on here are expecting the Matial's of this world and I fear they will be disappointed. This will lead to the normal 'Levy out!' phalanx prattling on.

I would love to do both.
But as we have seen today with Harry deserved bumper new deal, I believe our priority is retention first.
Fingers crossed we get some new blood as its vital.
My concern is some on here are expecting the Matial's of this world and I fear they will be disappointed. This will lead to the normal 'Levy out!' phalanx prattling on.
I agree that securing the pillars of the team is first on the list.

I posted in...

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/upgrading-the-team.9569/page-7

that both scenarios are quite feasible when you look at the figures

Talk of a loan back to Ajax for a year if we got him. I'd support that, he's 18 it's all about getting game time with his rate of progression. The future Jan.

Don't think we can be throwing tens of millions at a player we won't see for a year tbh
Depends how good or how highly we rate him, wish we’d have thrown 25/30m at Fulham this time last year with the loan back option, RS is twice the price now, I imagine it will be the same for de ligt.

Last edited:
Agree, unless would it be factored into next years budget, or we dont part with the cash until next season?

I would imagine it to be a deal where the monies are paid when we get the player/over time.

Theres no chance of Levy handing over big money on a player a year before getting him in - anything could happen in that time.

Talk of a loan back to Ajax for a year if we got him. I'd support that, he's 18 it's all about getting game time with his rate of progression. The future Jan.

That would be a good move ( imo), we keep Toby and it would also probably mean we can use Foyth . If we bring De Light in now the time Foyth would get may be limited and that would be a shame as Poch obviously rates him.

That would be a good move ( imo), we keep Toby and it would also probably mean we can use Foyth . If we bring De Light in now the time Foyth would get may be limited and that would be a shame as Poch obviously rates him.
Agreed. Leave DeLigt in a familiar environment where he'll get loads of game time and CL experience, while Toby sees out his last season with us and Foyth gets a few games in the cups and as injury cover. At the end of the season Toby goes to the highest bidder, or at least anyone willing to give us £25M and him a whopping signing-on bonus, while DeLigt comes in for a summer of tour matches and training.

I cannot see any losers in that plan, even Toby -- assuming Levy ups his wages a bit for this season.

Back