• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

It will be really stupid if we do sell Alderweireld to another English club. Firstly, we badly need him to keep our defence tight. Secondly, we should stop being the feeder club to other top 6 English clubs !

It will be really stupid if we do sell Alderweireld to another English club. Firstly, we badly need him to keep our defence tight. Secondly, we should stop being the feeder club to other top 6 English clubs !

Due to contracts, and the money associated with them, it's inevitable clubs will sell players. If we have the option of getting Martial in exchange, both clubs are gambling but I kind of like our odds. Martial is younger, less injury prone, ten times faster and about to have a summer break. Toby is quality but he's no spring chicken, clearly has an eye on the cash and has got dodgy hamstrings. We've already got a replacement in place in Sanchez and now we need a new centre back, I've got full faith Poch knows who to buy. If it's De Ligt I'll be very happy due to his connection with Sanchez from Ajax.

Knowing that Alderweireld wants out, would you feel the same way if in a deal with Utd we got a bit of cash and Martial? I'd personally see it as us coming out on top for various reasons, even if it involved no fee.

We underestimate the importance of Alderweireld and over state Martial's imo.

I understand posters are steeling themselves for his inevitable departure but it will not be an easy loss to cover imo.

We lost key games last season due to defensive frailties especially on our right side. We need an experienced Centre back there. Not convinced the Ajax guy is needed to improve us immediately given that we already have 2 decent but inexperienced CB in Foyth and Sanchez leaving only Jan as an experienced CB.

I would prioritise an experienced CB over Martial, a CB on whom we will probably have to spend all of Alderweireld's transfer fee.

Last edited:
Martial is 7 years younger, we could conceivably get 4/5 great years out of him and sell him on for a massive profit.

Toby is at his most valuable now, if we are selling him it’s the right time, if he would sign a 5 year extension on a reasonable salary that moves the line of course.

Martial is 7 years younger, we could conceivably get 4/5 great years out of him and sell him on for a massive profit.

Toby is at his most valuable now, if we are selling him it’s the right time, if he would sign a 5 year extension on a reasonable salary that moves the line of course.
Sounds like a business decision rather than a footballing one, although I see your point.

Sounds like a business decision rather than a footballing one, although I see your point.
Indeed, constant arguments for players on here are centred around a players age. Many on here talk as if a player being 28/29 is a bad thing. Firstly there’s no guarantee a young player with potential will ever reach the level of an experienced quality player. Regardless we need players with experience, one of the reasons we constantly fall short is our relative inexperience compared to our competitors...

Indeed, constant arguments for players on here are centred around a players age. Many on here talk as if a player being 28/29 is a bad thing. Firstly there’s no guarantee a young player with potential will ever reach the level of an experienced quality player. Regardless we need players with experience, one of the reasons we constantly fall short is our relative inexperience compared to our competitors...

We’ve also built an experienced spine now: Lloris, Verts, TBA, Dembele / Wanyama and Kane.

Rose, Eriksen and Lamela are also experienced pros.

Although a young team generally, we have experience where it counts so I think it would be wise not to lose that if possible.

Age in conjunction with a recent injury history.
Age on its own can be misleading.
Verts vs Toby maybe a good example.

I think that it is just an understanding of our club's business model and why that model is in place.

What is so special about Martial ? He is just another over rated ManU player. Notice that ManU players rarely do well at other clubs after leaving them. Remember Frazier Campbell and Zeki Fryers who both came with big reputation from ManU but became flops at Spurs ? Besides, we need more experienced players, not more youngsters at Spurs.

We must do everything to keep Alderweireld. If we can't keep him, at least don't sell him to any of our top 6 rivals. We are not going to find many quality defenders like Alderweireld.

What is so special about Martial ? He is just another over rated ManU player. Notice that ManU players rarely do well at other clubs after leaving them. Remember Frazier Campbell and Zeki Fryers who both came with big reputation from ManU but became flops at Spurs ? Besides, we need more experienced players, not more youngsters at Spurs.

We must do everything to keep Alderweireld. If we can't keep him, at least don't sell him to any of our top 6 rivals. We are not going to find many quality defenders like Alderweireld.

I’m sorry big neither of those too came with any reputation and were kids

Martial plays for France and is proven in first team football

Agree with the latter paragraph but it will come down to money and who will pay what we want as well as who wants him...

Back