• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Get Modric, then. Same pedigree, cheaper, and fills the CM slot nicely (at least for a year). And still leaves you money to get the stars of tomorrow.

In a lot of ways I agree with you. It’s the logical choice. Dembele replacement, fills an obvious need, gives Winks some breathing room to get back to his best...

Ahhh there’s just something about it though. Hearing BAAAAAAAAALE as he smashes one in against Arsenal, would be so so sweet. Modders doesn’t quite tug the heart strings in the same way for me.

Poch would love it too: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...89991/Tottenham-news-Gareth-Bale-transfer/amp

No they weren't. His form is not great.
How could anyones form be great who doesnt get a consistent run? And yet still has a one goal every two games goal record this season. Wherever he goes next its almost certain he will be the main man which he never is at Madrid, and Ive no doubt he will flourish wherever that is....

I’m saying this more in hope than expectation, but Fergie sprinkled some experienced star dust on his best United sides, combining it with the spirit and youth that he had put together.

Not that I want to rain on your parade (Ive mixed feelings on Bale btw) but Im not sure he is THAT guy.

He doesnt strike me as someone to demand the best of all those around him, to lead the standards etc.

He is an excellent player, and Im sure his presence would have an impact, but its not like bringing in Zlatan or someone like that who would insist everyone matches him...

£25m for Shaw, not sure if thats good or bad?

With a year on his deal (? I think it expires now but has a year option), and having hardly played, and having had his manager publically clam him off (repeatedly) Im really not sure he should go for as much as £25m, even if the market is stupidly inflated.

With a year on his deal (? I think it expires now but has a year option), and having hardly played, and having had his manager publically clam him off (repeatedly) Im really not sure he should go for as much as £25m, even if the market is stupidly inflated.

Surely someone missed the decimal point? He might be worth a punt at £2.5m

Keanan Bennetts just went for £2m - a comparable LB with 1 year on his contract

Im more concerned about getting the right players in - the price I trust Levy to get the best deal possible. Its likely Shaw is Poch's no 1 target in that position, they clearly love working with each other so even if we had to over pay I wouldnt be bothered. Im happier overpaying for Pochs main targets, than saving a few mill on targets no.2/3. Also I think he'd end up being a snip once acclimatised to being back under Poch again, I think give it a year he would be Englands no.1 LB......

Surely someone missed the decimal point? He might be worth a punt at £2.5m

Keanan Bennetts just went for £2m - a comparable LB with 1 year on his contract
When you say "Comparable" I assume that you are referring to the fact that they are both human beings?

£25 million is clearly too much for Shaw considering he only has a year left, seems to be unwanted at Man Utd and is on a very large wage there. However to try to compare him to a youth player who has never played a first team game is ridiculous.

When you say "Comparable" I assume that you are referring to the fact that they are both human beings?

£25 million is clearly too much for Shaw considering he only has a year left, seems to be unwanted at Man Utd and is on a very large wage there. However to try to compare him to a youth player who has never played a first team game is ridiculous.

Shaw was promising once, but he's lost all his pace due to major injuries and getting fat, and hasn't really got the skillset to compete without that physical advantage. He's now just the sort of burden you want off your wage bill

Im more concerned about getting the right players in - the price I trust Levy to get the best deal possible. Its likely Shaw is Poch's no 1 target in that position, they clearly love working with each other so even if we had to over pay I wouldnt be bothered. Im happier overpaying for Pochs main targets, than saving a few mill on targets no.2/3. Also I think he'd end up being a snip once acclimatised to being back under Poch again, I think give it a year he would be Englands no.1 LB......

100% I trust Levy on the money, if he came in even at that price I wont really have an issue. It just struck me as high in my mental-fan-math in my head.

I certainly dont agree with GB, I think Shaw could become a quality player again - and Poch has the inside track there.

If it was Rose out/Shaw in and net profit to be spent elsewhere I would be happy. On the basis I trust the club to have done their homework and be confident Shaw is up to it...

Not that I want to rain on your parade (Ive mixed feelings on Bale btw) but Im not sure he is THAT guy.

He doesnt strike me as someone to demand the best of all those around him, to lead the standards etc.

He is an excellent player, and Im sure his presence would have an impact, but its not like bringing in Zlatan or someone like that who would insist everyone matches him...
I have to disagree with that as I think Bale is definitely "that guy". Look at how he and Ramsey (spit) have inspired an otherwise mediocre Wales team in recent years. It's a different kind of leadership to the likes of Roy Keane, but it's no less effective.

In a lot of ways I agree with you. It’s the logical choice. Dembele replacement, fills an obvious need, gives Winks some breathing room to get back to his best...

Ahhh there’s just something about it though. Hearing BAAAAAAAAALE as he smashes one in against Arsenal, would be so so sweet. Modders doesn’t quite tug the heart strings in the same way for me.

Poch would love it too: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...89991/Tottenham-news-Gareth-Bale-transfer/amp
Don't get me wrong, I too would love to see Bale back. But not at the expense of a strategy that will also strengthen us in the long run. And splashing all the cash on Bale to get a couple of years out of him (when not injured) will leave us short in the future. Sentimentally, a big huge yes! Rationally, I'm not so sure.

I have to disagree with that as I think Bale is definitely "that guy". Look at how he and Ramsey (spit) have inspired an otherwise mediocre Wales team in recent years. It's a different kind of leadership to the likes of Roy Keane, but it's no less effective.

Maybe its talking degrees of separation.

Ive not doubt, as I said, his innate quality can elevate those around him. But there is, to my mind, many levels above that where the players quality and personality demand more of those around them and elevate the whole set up.

Bale is the former, for me, not the latter. And the way I read BoLs post was as if he were talking the latter.

ALCACER WANTS NEW CLUB

Barcelona have told Paco Alcacer to look for a new club this summer, reports Mundo Deportivo.

Barca have already informed defender Aleix Vidal and midfielder Andre Gomes that they are surplus to requirements and have now told striker Alcacer the same thing.

The forward, who is under contract at the Camp Nou until 2020, does not feature in coach Ernesto Valverde’s future plans, although he would like to stay at the club.

Barca are yet to receive any formal offers for the Spaniard, who has scored seven goals this season.

Back