• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Interesting choice. Advocates attacking football but that will be nothing new for Arse

Did well with Valencia and even better with Sevilla

Apparently he has got the job because he agreed to work with a very tight budget. Arse need to spend big to catch up so that won't help

It's a bit of a Juande Ramos appointment. How times have changed

I was hoping that they'd appoint Arteta, as he'd have been a disaster imo. Nobody would have given him time. Maybe the rumours about him were put out to make Emery appear a better appointment than he actually is.

Yeah, I knew they'd chicken out when it came to Arteta and (even more so) Henry. The latter link was purely a sop to fans IMO.

Emery did well on a budget at Sevilla. I guess that's what Kroenke wants.

Ci_Kq88WsAQ6C-s

There's a story going round that he once gave Mathieu (IIRC) an empty pen drive to check if he actually watched the material. The player failed his test.

I think he is a good manager
He apparently got the job as he highlighted in his interview the players strengths and weaknesses ... that would be a great start

I was hoping that they'd appoint Arteta, as he'd have been a disaster imo. Nobody would have given him time. Maybe the rumours about him were put out to make Emery appear a better appointment than he actually is.

I think they actually wanted Arteta, but the pushback/optics were poor.

Any manager is going to be a gamble, honestly the only way I'd see success is if they appointed someone who is opposite of Wenger, a workrate/defense/discipline type manager who would get down to fixing the core issues in the team. I don't know enough about Emery but I don't have that impression of him. The rumour mill is not big money available.

Simeone was the one that really concerned me if they had managed to get.

I think they actually wanted Arteta, but the pushback/optics were poor.

Any manager is going to be a gamble, honestly the only way I'd see success is if they appointed someone who is opposite of Wenger, a workrate/defense/discipline type manager who would get down to fixing the core issues in the team. I don't know enough about Emery but I don't have that impression of him. The rumour mill is not big money available.

Simeone was the one that really concerned me if they had managed to get.

Agree with that, I'd have been gutted if they got him. With the forwards they have, a defensive minded coach like that could probably sign a keeper, centre-half and defensive midfielder and turn them into contenders. He'd have drilled the rest of them into competent enough players to play on the counter attack and their forwards are capable of scoring plenty.

Makes me laugh when i think of Ozil playing under Simone :cool:

Arsenal would need 20 +new players under Simone.

Emery is the easier/safer option for the board.... they can at least point to his history before they sack him. Arteta was bold and far riskier...they the owners bottled it basically! a good start...Sam could be busy this autumn

Back