• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

GREATEST MASSIVE "small-time" moments

thfcsteff

Terry Dyson
Seeing the superb replays of Stalteri at Upton Park for that 4-3 got my mind racing as to what our greatest massive "small-time" moments were. You know - not exactly cup winning moments, or CL place clinchers or anything much of anything in the bigger picture other than massively GREAT moments which linger long in the memory. So here's mine I am sure there were some in the 80s I'm spacing on, but this one is timeless and I can still see myself gleefully relaying what happened in clear repetitive sign-language to those clams in the upper deck!!!!

I know we have moved on, but let us NEVER be beyond enjoying such wonderful "big-small" moments...

Nice thread.

Although any derby win or stolen draws always stick in the mind these two stood out for me;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8224017.stm

Being at the game, a scarcely deserved last minute winner and then went for a few drinks in Islington after which capped the day off with Goons losing to United and Berbarov missed a pen!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7684759.stm

Bottom of the league and Liverpool absolutely battered us in the first half, their one nil lead really could have been 4 or 5. The two extremes of striker for us in this game, pantomime villain Darren Bent hit his own post but cult hero Pav scored a last minute winner from the bench, after Carra had obliged with his customary own goal (I think he scored more for us than Liverpool in his career!)

30 December 2006

Tottenham lost 0-1 to Liverpool, undeservedly no doubt.

The mood in the Bricklayers afterwards improved markedly upon watching Sheffield United with Phil Jagielka in goal for the final 30 minutes beat Arsenal 1-0.

Klinsmann goal away to Wednesday on opening day of the season, followed by the dive celebration, iconic!

Also our performance away to Ipswich in midweek a week or so later, winning 3-0 and playing some unbelievable football, Dumitrescu was unplayable. Really thought we were going to be up there that season!

Kaboul scoring the winner against the goons, we won 2-3 after being 2-0 down. First away win there for years I think. Could do with another one!

Also our performance away to Ipswich in midweek a week or so later, winning 3-0 and playing some unbelievable football, Dumitrescu was unplayable. Really thought we were going to be up there that season!

I was there for this game, all my pals were Ipswich fans and they weren't too bad at the time, we literally destroyed them, if it had've been 35-0 it wouldn't have flattered us

Seeing the superb replays of Stalteri at Upton Park for that 4-3 got my mind racing as to what our greatest massive "small-time" moments were. You know - not exactly cup winning moments, or CL place clinchers or anything much of anything in the bigger picture other than massively GREAT moments which linger long in the memory. So here's mine I am sure there were some in the 80s I'm spacing on, but this one is timeless and I can still see myself gleefully relaying what happened in clear repetitive sign-language to those clams in the upper deck!!!!

I know we have moved on, but let us NEVER be beyond enjoying such wonderful "big-small" moments...

Absolutely memorable night. I was there - sitting in with the Goons as a mate of mine's little daughter couldn't go to a night game, so he invited me. The Gooners were totally apoplectic at the final whistle, which only added to the joy!

I remember loving it when we beat Man Utd 4-1 at home, think it was New Years Day? Judas amongst the scorers I think.

Ronnie Rosenthal with his hat-trick and a 6-2 extra time win against Southampton is a memory from that era too.

Last edited:
Klinsmann goal away to Wednesday on opening day of the season, followed by the dive celebration, iconic!

I was at that game with my lad, as you say Dumi was unplayable and i said to my lad we have another Waddle on our hands here. Never turned out that way :(

So many i guess but this game has never left my mind. It was the Lge Cup final against A.Villa ( who were then in the third div), they outplayed believe it or not and should really have been a couple of goals up before Chiv scored our first in the 81 st minute.

The thing i remember was in the first half Lochead ( who was Villas CF and a dirty bastard) flattened Pat as he game out to collect a cross, the ball was trickling towards the goal line ( every one had stopped thinking the ref was going to blow for the foul, even Lochead who was on the floor with Pat) And then from nowhere SP came tearing into the box and kicked the ball just before it crossed the line. As it turned out the ref never blew for the foul so it would have been a goal for Villa, i think if it had a gone in we would have not won the game.

The link below does not show SP saving us but he did. Funny how things like that stick in your mind.

I was at that game with my lad, as you say Dumi was unplayable and i said to my lad we have another Waddle on our hands here. Never turned out that way :(

Once people worked out that he liked to drop his shoulder and cut inside, he never really recovered!

Back