• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

You remember Moyes/Mourinho though?

I remember the fuss about Moyes being Fergies successor (never was ever the case) and obviously Mourinho is there now.

I enjoyed watching him get a taste of his own medicine this wekend.

But yes, Utd have been that dull for 5 years not much else has really stuck in mind.

5 years, bloody hell...

I remember the fuss about Moyes being Fergies successor (never was ever the case) and obviously Mourinho is there now.

I enjoyed watching him get a taste of his own medicine this wekend.

But yes, Utd have been that dull for 5 years not much else has really stuck in mind.

5 years, bloody hell...
I know - its very weird they gave Mourinho an extension in January with the football he has been serving up. They really can afford anyone and have significant pull to get the manager, they have given him really good attacking talent he just has no idea how to use it.

They smashed a few teams 3 or 4 nil at the beginning of they year but most of the goals were last 10 minutes and hid the fact they were terrible the previous 80. Long may it continue but you suspect he will be gone next year (3 yr cycle).

Rather Juve than somewhere domestic.

I would think, honestly, any defender worth his salt would fancy himself getting into that team.

It is by far the weakest part of their side (and squad).

Between that, and working with the great Guardiola, and getting paid a ridiculous sum, and being almost guaranteed medals - I think its realistically a bit of a stretch to try and put out respective offers on an even footing.

He has every chance of playing for them.

All fair enough, I'm just not convinced that he's got enough of a route there, or that their defence has been that bad. If they hadn't signed Laporte, I'd be more worried about them getting a CB ahead of us. The fact that we are selling Toby - if we do -means there is a good opportunity for someone to come in and get a lot of football, and be the long term JV replacement.

Toby to Juve feels right for lots of reasons. We sell abroad so don't strengthen the Manchesters, and he will slot into a great side that has always known the value of experience and doesn't seem overly concerned with players having resale value. A great move for him and a good one for us if we are losing him and it happens.

ha! I can blame Moyes for all sorts ;)

Though I really did think he went there under him, not Mourinho

Martial was actually great under LVG. And Rashford was better under him too for what it's worth. Young players that would be more pliable to a system ended up working well for him. Patient football isn't what this country likes though.

Martial would be awesome for us - Chelsea would be our biggest competitors I reckon. Hopefully we can start offering big-boy wages on top of the offer of CL football and it will be a statement of intent, that we can compete on equal terms with a club that used to get ahead of us. And if we move quickly we can capitalize on the uncertainty around their manager, and Hazard, because they will both favour the inside-left position and it may not too be easy to squeeze them both in.

Martial also as a rotation option with Kane along with Son...it really would be a great set up we would have.

Apart from being instrumental in the careers of the likes of Bergkamp, Kluivert, Overmars, Rivaldo, Figo etc. of course

Basically this:

what have you done for me lately?

Games moved on he was terrible for attacking players at Man U - ditto the Dutch NT - cant remember his Bayern team.

They were an utter borefest under him. Better than under Moyes or Mourinho, but only just.

All fair enough, I'm just not convinced that he's got enough of a route there, or that their defence has been that bad. If they hadn't signed Laporte, I'd be more worried about them getting a CB ahead of us. The fact that we are selling Toby - if we do -means there is a good opportunity for someone to come in and get a lot of football, and be the long term JV replacement.

Toby to Juve feels right for lots of reasons. We sell abroad so don't strengthen the Manchesters, and he will slot into a great side that has always known the value of experience and doesn't seem overly concerned with players having resale value. A great move for him and a good one for us if we are losing him and it happens.

Im not saying it will happen, only that its not really as out of reach as you seem to think. City are weak at the back, and under Guardiola any skilled/ball playing defender will fancy their chances.

Martial was actually great under LVG. And Rashford was better under him too for what it's worth. Young players that would be more pliable to a system ended up working well for him. Patient football isn't what this country likes though.

Martial would be awesome for us - Chelsea would be our biggest competitors I reckon. Hopefully we can start offering big-boy wages on top of the offer of CL football and it will be a statement of intent, that we can compete on equal terms with a club that used to get ahead of us. And if we move quickly we can capitalize on the uncertainty around their manager, and Hazard, because they will both favour the inside-left position and it may not too be easy to squeeze them both in.

Martial also as a rotation option with Kane along with Son...it really would be a great set up we would have.

He was better, not sure about great. That said, I dont disagree - he would be a good signing I am sure. Still only 22/23 as well.

Happy to for for Martial but I wouldn’t be offering big wages. He would need to earn them here first

I'm always a bit dubious with the stories from Spain re: Bale to Spurs. I'm still not 400% sure he would suit Poch, although the boost he would give the club would be immense.

The rumours of Poch wanting Martial are maybe a bit more worrying as it would mean that Levy is working to bring in players that Poch doesn't want. This is all speculation, but it's not like Levy hasn't done business without the managers consent in the past. From a squad/business point of view, Martial would make more sense as he'd be more affordable and would be able to work in the system. He also can do a job in a couple of position's meaning he's better for rotation with Kane and Son.

NB: Regarding de Ligt. Anyone else think that City could just be toying with us to bring the price up? Or is there interest real?

I don't think it would be. We bid for Martial before he went to Utd so Poch would have known that unless that was Levy acting alone but it fitted the type of player Poch wanted at the time

Im not saying it will happen, only that its not really as out of reach as you seem to think. City are weak at the back, and under Guardiola any skilled/ball playing defender will fancy their chances.

He was better, not sure about great. That said, I dont disagree - he would be a good signing I am sure. Still only 22/23 as well.

I'm not saying it won't happen either...I'm just really not convinced it's the right move for him or them. I think we'd have a real shot of getting him even if they were his other option. I think generally Stones and Otamendi are being under-rated here. Otamendi has been good this year and Stones, even ignoring the fact that he gives them a number for their English quota - is the exact kind of player Pep should want to make a player out of. Why move out Stones, lose an English player, and replace him with another young center back with potential? It may happen, but I think there's a lot that would have to fall in place and I'm not sure it's worth the effort for them.

Lots of goals in there, and with Son, Lucas & Martial, decent amount of pace as well

Really don't feel we will get a Kane backup in literal sense, so players like Son/Martial seem the most viable alternative, someone who can player as an attacking midfielder/2nd striker with the option to rotate less frequently as out and out striker
We should move away from the direct replacement for Kane tactic. We're not gonna find anyone anywhere near Kane's level and they'd only be from the 'target man' genre.

Martial can 100% play thru the middle (like Sonny) but offer even more power. When he's not doing that he can offer plenty in the 3 behind

Remember Kane may on occasion do the 10 job and if Martial was playing 9...that's dangerous on paper.

Just keeps the forward group more fluid.

Yeah, I mean I wouldn't get into a bidding war with Chelsea for him, but if he asks for something like 90k for example, it will hopefully no longer make him one of our top earners and he'd probably fit right in the scale.
That would be a 50% rise for him too so wouldn’t be bad at all

Martial doesn't look like he could adopt our pressing philosophy, but he's an upgrade on Son/Lamela/Moura if he gets back to his best.

Yeah, I mean I wouldn't get into a bidding war with Chelsea for him, but if he asks for something like 90k for example, it will hopefully no longer make him one of our top earners and he'd probably fit right in the scale.

Imo he and his agent will be demanding more than 90k a week. I know it's almost 50% more than he is on now but footballers love comparing themselves to others at other clubs as well as their own and he will be wanting well over 100k......id guess 120k might just do it.

Imo he and his agent will be demanding more than 90k a week. I know it's almost 50% more than he is on now but footballers love comparing themselves to others at other clubs as well as their own and he will be wanting well over 100k......id guess 120k might just do it.

Maybe, but we got Moura for 75. I don’t think he’ll necessarily think he deserves a massive pay hike, and I think he’ll view getting more first 11 football, the opportunity to improve and be away from Mourinho as important. To experience those benefits he’ll have to fit into our structure, whatever it ends up being.

Plus by all accounts Levy's way is to offer a sensible basic salary with performance based additions. No way do we need people sat around the club on Sanchez/Ozil money. Perform like Kane and you'll get well paid. Otherwise suffer on 75k a week you poor bastards.

Back