• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

We all know Bale is highly unlikely. The main issue are richer clubs and his wages.

But whether he would fit in, and be an asset is not such a big concern. It could provide a lift to the whole squad - a statement of intent that we’re signing the best, and they have to up their game.

Bale isn’t a Ronaldo with a big ego, he’s a quiet welsh lad. I recon he’d get along well with verts and the more senior players.

The ability to smash goals in is what we would be buying him for. He can still skin players too. Fitness is a concern but maybe that can be factored into the contract. He is only 28 right? Hardly over the hill.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The clubs may not have as much regard for the gaps but the potential signings do. It was why we were able to get Sanchez for example. More players are smart to it these days - they’ll go to the place they are most likely to get first 11 football. In fact I think De Ligt even put some quotes out to this end about a fortnight ago.
I was picking up on you saying City’s interest wouldn’t be serious - what the player decides to do is a different matter althogether. Besides, Guardiola has a reputation for developing players. Emirates Marketing Project’s defence is their weak point still, and if he is a top talent he wouldn’t be concerned about game time going there. Otamendi isn’t all that even if he has improved and Kompany isn’t to be tried upon. Sane was a young top talent and he didn’t think twice about going to City and there was more decent attackers at City than there are defenders...

I was picking up on you saying City’s interest wouldn’t be serious - what the player decides to do is a different matter althogether. Besides, Guardiola has a reputation for developing players. Emirates Marketing Project’s defence is their weak point still, and if he is a top talent he wouldn’t be concerned about game time going there. Otamendi isn’t all that even if he has improved and Kompany isn’t to be tried upon. Sane was a young top talent and he didn’t think twice about going to City and there was more decent attackers at City than there are defenders...

I’m just not convinced City have the space to compete seriously for De Ligt with us. At some point they have to present a vision of progression for the player. And at that point, Pep can either decide to risk upsetting his existing title winning defence to snare an un-needed 4th / 5th CB, or he can lie, or he can let him go.

If you listen to City fans, Otamendi has been good this year. I really don’t think they’re about to replace him with an 18 year old.

I’m just not convinced City have the space to compete seriously for De Ligt with us. At some point they have to present a vision of progression for the player. And at that point, Pep can either decide to risk upsetting his existing title winning defence to snare an un-needed 4th / 5th CB, or he can lie, or he can let him go.

If you listen to City fans, Otamendi has been good this year. I really don’t think they’re about to replace him with an 18 year old.

They might replace Stones or Kompany though

Otamendi is just an example, Kompany isn’t to be relied on anymore and someone like De Ligt would be ideal to bed in whilst Kompany is phased out. No idea what’s happened to Stones but he’s hardly set the world alight either. There is easily scope for a talented young CB to break their way into their side...

Otamendi is just an example, Kompany isn’t to be relied on anymore and someone like De Ligt would be ideal to bed in whilst Kompany is phased out. No idea what’s happened to Stones but he’s hardly set the world alight either. There is easily scope for a talented young CB to break their way into their side...

Or they could be on manoeuvres on Alderweireld.

Yeah I hope you’re wrong but that would be as good a Kompany replacement as they’re likely to get....

That was my thinking too. Having said that, I don't see Alderweireld getting any better over the next couple of seasons and his value will fall off a cliff after this window. If he is not committed, it is time to sell.

They might replace Stones or Kompany though

Yeah...they might. Kompany almost for sure. But I think it’s much more likely they go with Stones, Otamendi and Laporte (that are all Pep style players) with Kompany as the experienced head happy to be 4th choice, than it is to replace any of them with De Ligt. Stones was seen as the hot young prospect once, so I’m not sure on the value of taking a loss on him to bring in an 18 year old. And Otamendi has been highly rated this season.

I don’t think what I’m saying is wildly out of whack here...if we can convince De Ligt he has the best opportunity to play first 11 football with us, it’s very likely he will come here vs taking more money at City to be at best a difficult 4th choice. We definitely have a shot. If they hadn’t signed Laporte, I’d be a bit more nervous about it.

Sure - but De Ligt has to believe he has a good chance of playing first 11 football ahead of Otamendi, Stones and Laporte. Not even mentizoning Kompany. Which is why I’m not convinced they have the space, and if they wanted to make the space, I’m not sure jettisoning Stones or Otamendi is worth the risk when De Ligt is 18.

Yeah...they might. Kompany almost for sure. But I think it’s much more likely they go with Stones, Otamendi and Laporte (that are all Pep style players) with Kompany as the experienced head happy to be 4th choice, than it is to replace any of them with De Ligt. Stones was seen as the hot young prospect once, so I’m not sure on the value of taking a loss on him to bring in an 18 year old. And Otamendi has been highly rated this season.

I don’t think what I’m saying is wildly out of whack here...if we can convince De Ligt he has the best opportunity to play first 11 football with us, it’s very likely he will come here vs taking more money at City to be at best a difficult 4th choice. We definitely have a shot. If they hadn’t signed Laporte, I’d be a bit more nervous about it.

Kompany looks shot to me and Stones has had a poor season. I wouldn't be surprised to see either replaced this summer. Pep hasn't achieved what he has by being sentimental.

Kompany looks shot to me and Stones has had a poor season. I wouldn't be surprised to see either replaced this summer. Pep hasn't achieved what he has by being sentimental.

Ok, and if you think a poor season from Stones is worth them taking a loss on a player who was previously rated as a hot defensive prospect and is perfect for Pep’s style...I’m not going to argue with you. It may well happen. All I’m saying is, I’d be more worried if City has an obvious gap in their first 11. I’m not convinced replacing one young defensive prospect with another who has at least had the benefit of 2 years coaching from Pep is going to be worth it for them. Regardless of whether Stones has actually been as bad as you are making out, De Ligt has to believe he will get more football in the first 11 with them than with us, if this story is true. I’m not convinced City are best placed to make that case although of course I could be wrong, we haven’t seen what moves most clubs are going to make yet. Either way, this is the risk of moving early as I mentioned. We risk getting into a bake off with a club with more money than us, so we have to hope our proposition of regular football can get them.

Ok, and if you think a poor season from Stones is worth them taking a loss on a player who was previously rated as a hot defensive prospect and is perfect for Pep’s style...I’m not going to argue with you. It may well happen. All I’m saying is, I’d be more worried if City has an obvious gap in their first 11. I’m not convinced replacing one young defensive prospect with another who has at least had the benefit of 2 years coaching from Pep is going to be worth it for them. Regardless of whether Stones has actually been as bad as you are making out, De Ligt has to believe he will get more football in the first 11 with them than with us, if this story is true. I’m not convinced City are best placed to make that case although of course I could be wrong, we haven’t seen what moves most clubs are going to make yet. Either way, this is the risk of moving early as I mentioned. We risk getting into a bake off with a club with more money than us, so we have to hope our proposition of regular football can get them.

I doubt that City give a brick about making a loss on a player. I don't think that they will sell Stones this summer but I do think that they would bring in a player to compete with him or replace him, if the right player was available. Like @harr1984, I think a move for Alderweireld is more likely and this reported interest could be part of that.

I doubt that City give a brick about making a loss on a player. I don't think that they will sell Stones this summer but I do think that they would bring in a player to compete with him or replace him, if the right player was available. Like @harr1984, I think a move for Alderweireld is more likely and this reported interest could be part of that.

It’s not necessarily about them making a loss, it’s just I’m not convinced that they will be willing to go through all the steps - selling Stones or Otamendi or trying to sell De Ligt on the fact that he gets to join to ‘compete’ with them, plus Laporte. It’s aboit first 11 football, and I’m not convinced they have the better story to sell vs us on that score. I don’t know how many times I can say it - the guy is 18, they’d have to be bloody confident he’s gonna be better than Stones or Otamendi to make those moves. If they wanted to keep all of them I’d be even more sure De Ligt wouldn’t join.

It’s not necessarily about them making a loss, it’s just I’m not convinced that they will be willing to go through all the steps - selling Stones or Otamendi or trying to sell De Ligt on the fact that he gets to join to ‘compete’ with them, plus Laporte. It’s aboit first 11 football, and I’m not convinced they have the better story to sell vs us on that score. I don’t know how many times I can say it - the guy is 18, they’d have to be bloody confident he’s gonna be better than Stones or Otamendi to make those moves. If they wanted to keep all of them I’d be even more sure De Ligt wouldn’t join.

They don't need to sell anyone, they are rich enough to accumulate players and see who works out.

What do you thinks of the theory that this could be a move to help them secure Alderweireld?

They don't need to sell anyone, they are rich enough to accumulate players and see who works out.

What do you thinks of the theory that this could be a move to help them secure Alderweireld?

I know they don’t need money, but since real life ain’t Football Manager, I believe De Ligt would be mindful of the fact that his route to the first 11 may be tough there.

The Toby thing...maybe...I think it’s complex. We haven’t seen the real players emerge yet. It may be us, it may be a city, it may be United, it may be someone abroad. I wouldn’t comment on that yet, because I think there’s only a slightly less than decent chance he stays with us.

They also need to meet the British players ruling which their struggling on if they lose stones

Back