• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Otamendi was really good for them this season and it doesn’t appear they are going to move out a title winner for an 18 year old kid. There’s no obvious gap for De Ligt to fill, where as we will likely sell Toby.
He was good, that doesn’t mean there isn’t better out there for them - there’s a lot better out there than him in fact. The oil rich clubs don’t have a real regard for whether there’s ‘an obvious gap’ and they buy as they please. Their defence is still their biggest weakness and is as likely they would want him as we would....

He simply won't get that now and at this stage in his career

Do a Kane, £200k a week basic and lots of bonuses to make it higher

What a marquee signing this really would be !!

Would be our best signing in recent memory.. Same league as Van Der Vaart, Klinsmann, heck even Bale :D

Personally speaking i would go for Pulisic, he would not cost the money Bale would and on top of that i think Pulisic is one for the now and future while Bale is one for the past.

Goals....

I'd disagree on this one. Pulisic has scored 9 in 70 appearances in Germany. Pulisic would be another for the future, whereas Bale is one for now. Of course both would be ideal, and I haven't watched Pulisic. He's only 19 right?

I'm always a bit dubious with the stories from Spain re: Bale to Spurs. I'm still not 100% sure he would suit Poch, although the boost he would give the club would be immense.

The rumours of Poch wanting Martial are maybe a bit more worrying as it would mean that Levy is working to bring in players that Poch doesn't want. This is all speculation, but it's not like Levy hasn't done business without the managers consent in the past. From a squad/business point of view, Martial would make more sense as he'd be more affordable and would be able to work in the system. He also can do a job in a couple of position's meaning he's better for rotation with Kane and Son.

NB: Regarding de Ligt. Anyone else think that City could just be toying with us to bring the price up? Or is there interest real?

Goals....

I'd disagree on this one. Pulisic has scored 9 in 70 appearances in Germany. Pulisic would be another for the future, whereas Bale is one for now. Of course both would be ideal, and I haven't watched Pulisic. He's only 19 right?

Well Stop! Hammer time mate and yes Puisic is only 19, for me Bale's biggest strength was his pace and from what i have seen of him on the box he seems to have lost that ( usually happens when that type of player racks up the injurys).

I think from what he would cost us its not worth it ( and i am not sure Poch would either), i also think IF he did come back they would be a lot of Spurs supporters let down IF he does not perform. But as i say Stop! Hammer time and i would rather we spent ( what it would cost for him) on younger players who would serve us better ( imo) in the long run.

Proper rules and regulations to prevent player stockpiling, perhaps? Oh wait, I forgot FA, FIFA and UEFA don't really bother about that.

The only thing that will lead to change is the loss of money by the big corporations. They will only call a stop to the financial doping when it's in their interest to do so. Diminishing viewing figures and lack of interest in the EPL due to lack of competition will be the catalyst for change. UEFA are competition administrators and have little power.
EPL are selling the right for megabucks when that stops or markedly slows then things will change.
The FA are nothing to do with the problem they are a tinpot english dinosaur who do very little.
The EPL and broadcasters are the root cause of financial doping, they call the shots.

I'm always a bit dubious with the stories from Spain re: Bale to Spurs. I'm still not 400% sure he would suit Poch, although the boost he would give the club would be immense. The rumours of Poch wanting Martial are maybe a bit more worrying as it would mean that Levy is working to bring in players that Poch doesn't want. This is all speculation, but it's not like Levy hasn't done business without the managers consent in the past. From a squad/business point of view, Martial would make more sense as he'd be more affordable and would be able to work in the system. He also can do a job in a couple of position's meaning he's better for rotation with Kane and Son.

NB: Regarding de Ligt. Anyone else think that City could just be toying with us to bring the price up? Or is there interest real?
City with be looking strike while their stock is high with the very top players - Hazard and I've a hunch Kane is where they will be looking.....thus they will be looking for any leverage they can get i.e. de Ligt.

Last edited:
Well Stop! Hammer time mate and yes Puisic is only 19, for me Bale's biggest strength was his pace and from what i have seen of him on the box he seems to have lost that ( usually happens when that type of player racks up the injurys).

I think from what he would cost us its not worth it ( and i am not sure Poch would either), i also think IF he did come back they would be a lot of Spurs supporters let down IF he does not perform. But as i say Stop! Hammer time and i would rather we spent ( what it would cost for him) on younger players who would serve us better ( imo) in the long run.

Plenty of pacy crap players out there. Bale is a lot more than pace. Still a big player at Real Madrid? I don't watch them, but you don't forget to play football. We're at a stage where we need some proven quality to complement the up and coming players.

Last edited:
Plenty of pacy crap players out there. Bale is a lot more than pace. Still a big player at Real Madrid? I don't watch them, but you don't forget to play football. We're at a stage where we need some proved quality to complement the up and coming players.

Well i never said he was not but i think its pretty obvious to most fans that was his major strength. You are right though about not forgetting HOW to play football, however IF you main strength is pace you can lose it and that makes the difference.

As i said Stop! Hammer time.

The only thing that will lead to change is the loss of money by the big corporations. They will only call a stop to the financial doping when it's in their interest to do so. Diminishing viewing figures and lack of interest in the EPL due to lack of competition will be the catalyst for change. UEFA are competition administrators and have little power.
EPL are selling the right for megabucks when that stops or markedly slows then things will change.
The FA are nothing to do with the problem they are a tinpot english dinosaur who do very little.
The EPL and broadcasters are the root cause of financial doping, they call the shots.

I can't dance with any of that, unfortunately. Too much money to be made for anyone with power = status quo for the unforseeable future. Football really is fooked, eh?

He was good, that doesn’t mean there isn’t better out there for them - there’s a lot better out there than him in fact. The oil rich clubs don’t have a real regard for whether there’s ‘an obvious gap’ and they buy as they please. Their defence is still their biggest weakness and is as likely they would want him as we would....

The clubs may not have as much regard for the gaps but the potential signings do. It was why we were able to get Sanchez for example. More players are smart to it these days - they’ll go to the place they are most likely to get first 11 football. In fact I think De Ligt even put some quotes out to this end about a fortnight ago.

Bale would be shorter term, but it could pay off big.

Last few games for Madrid has looked closer to his best.

I could see Bale winning us a cup or two and pushing the title in first year.

Bale has been great whenever he has been fit enough to get a run of games ... Injuries are (and will probably continue ) to be the problem

I don’t know, I just feel a bit uncomfortable about the whole Bale coming back thing.
Firstly, if Poch is onboard with it then end of story, my views are irrelevant and I’ll be pleased as punch to see him back. But...it just feels there are lots of buts in all of this.
- Whilst Poch has clearly indicated that we need to up our game, buying in a ‘superstar’ doesn’t strike me as a Poch way of doing things. I think he is still all about building a team, not buying one (he just knows we have to build quicker now than was the case before).
- Would Bale’s arrival enhance squad harmony, which is so important to Poch? Granted Bale has never appeared to be a a billy-big-bollox, but his arrival would come with a huge spotlight;
- wages - even if the structure is a wage akin to Kane’s with big bonus opportunities, I’m not sure where that leaves players like Eriksen, Dele and (although a defender), Vertonghen. I cant see there will be parity across too many players which might lead to some miscomtent.

I think the Bale rumours might be a smokescreen. But for what, I don’t know.

I don’t know, I just feel a bit uncomfortable about the whole Bale coming back thing.
Firstly, if Poch is onboard with it then end of story, my views are irrelevant and I’ll be pleased as punch to see him back. But...it just feels there are lots of buts in all of this.
- Whilst Poch has clearly indicated that we need to up our game, buying in a ‘superstar’ doesn’t strike me as a Poch way of doing things. I think he is still all about building a team, not buying one (he just knows we have to build quicker now than was the case before).
- Would Bale’s arrival enhance squad harmony, which is so important to Poch? Granted Bale has never appeared to be a a billy-big-bollox, but his arrival would come with a huge spotlight;
- wages - even if the structure is a wage akin to Kane’s with big bonus opportunities, I’m not sure where that leaves players like Eriksen, Dele and (although a defender), Vertonghen. I cant see there will be parity across too many players which might lead to some miscomtent.

I think the Bale rumours might be a smokescreen. But for what, I don’t know.

Great smoke screen :cool: seems to be working a treat!

Back