• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cameron Carter Vickers

I had a look on a couple of their forums (that was hard work - we are spoiled here for format and thread-organisation)
Most comments were about how awful the game was, how rubbish Ipswich were. The odd comment about CCV doing Ok but nothing too specific. There doesn’t seem to be too much love for McCarthy.
This comment caught my attention. I’m not sure whether to laugh at the resignation in the tone, or worry that there might be something to it

McCarthy has worked absolute wonders at Ipswitch.

He has never been a coach to get teams playing like Barcelona, but he is tactically solid and does brilliantly with what he has.

AND he has done some incredible transfer business considering they dont spend a penny. He even gets in players like Freddie Sears to do a decent job for him.

He has had them in the play offs (or damn close) year after year despite the fact they are a low budget backwater club who have no right to be competing like that. He should be a legend up there, its shocking (and yet somehow expected) that the fans think they should be getting more out of him.

I’d suggest protecting his value, but he actually performed well on his loan spells for the most part. Ipswich like him and SheffUtd playedhim virtually every game for 1st half of the season when their results were good.

Will sell him on for 5 - 8M at some point, continue to fund the academy/youth/training investments.

I think this should be picked up on - this would be a massive success for us and our academy.

The academy isnt all about producing first team players for Spurs.

Its about producing professional footballers. Enough that it is a self sustaining (and even profitable?) enterprise. One that attracts talent because it is successful in building careers. Which means then, hopefully, we get to keep the cream of the crop for ourselves.

Getting a player into our first team is an incredible achievement, but it is far from the only measure of success.

As a youngster he looked a great prospect, he's found the next step a bit harder. I believe you rarely see the best out of centre backs until they get past 25 and I hope that if he can't make it at Spurs he goes on the have a good career.

I always thought he was a little on the short side!

I know kettle and pot springs to mind:rolleyes:

That's the awful thing about modern professional sport, everyone must be a giant to get a chance, when I started going to football there a couple of England goalies who were no more than 5'8"

That's the awful thing about modern professional sport, everyone must be a giant to get a chance, when I started going to football there a couple of England goalies who were no more than 5'8"

There's still a position for most sizes - FB, AM or CM for those under 6'.

Rugby is the great one for that - there's literally a position for every body size. Short and fat - front row, short and skinny - scrum half etc.

Delete short. Replace with slight.
Tall goal keepers and very logical? De Gea, Buffon and Neuer. Jennings was 6’ +?
Centre half's not so much.

There's still a position for most sizes - FB, AM or CM for those under 6'.

Rugby is the great one for that - there's literally a position for every body size. Short and fat - front row, short and skinny - scrum half etc.

Have you seen any professional rugby matches lately? Virtual everyone is over 6' and over 14 stone, hookers and wingers now are big and front rows must be quick and be able to handle the ball.

Apparently Wenger and Bob Wilson were never keen on Ospina because he was only 6', and they felt a modern GK needed to be at least 6'2"

It's also supposedly the reason we never signed Mat Ryan when he was on trial with us years - because he's 'only' 6' too

Have you seen any professional rugby matches lately? Virtual everyone is over 6' and over 14 stone, hookers and wingers now are big and front rows must be quick and be able to handle the ball.

Youngs, Care and Wigglesworth are all under 5'10".

But yeah - Lomu changed wingers forever and front rows are definitely a lot more mobile since professionalism

Delete short. Replace with slight.
Tall goal keepers and very logical? De Gea, Buffon and Neuer. Jennings was 6’ +?
Centre half's not so much.

I think Jennings and Shilton were perfect size for keepers, not too big and were agile, Jennings was one of the first keepers I saw that used his feet to save shots.

I think Jennings and Shilton were perfect size for keepers, not too big and were agile, Jennings was one of the first keepers I saw that used his feet to save shots.

I always think Fraser Forster is too tall - he can't get down quick enough. The sweet spot seems to be between about 6'2" and 6'4". 6'3" is the average for top flight keepers.

Back